Search Unity

[NEW PATCH] uNature - GPU, Interactable Grass. Interactable Trees, MultiThreading and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ElroyUnity, Apr 29, 2016.

?

Pre-release Integrations

Poll closed Nov 29, 2016.
  1. TerrainComposer2

43.1%
  2. GAIA

54.9%
  3. GENA

49.0%
  4. World Creator

13.7%
  5. World Streamer

37.3%
  6. Map Magic

27.5%
  7. Landscape Builder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. SkyMaster ( Weather )

7.8%
  9. InfiniGrass, AFS, DX11 (Integration will provide built-in shader support)

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey,
    That's actually partially true - in V2.1 it doesnt save it into the resources folder (only color maps, which is also fixed in the upcoming beta build) but instead saves it in the scene which is A LOT worse.

So what I am currently finishing up is saving it into the resources folder BUT compressing it super hard so it doesn't make as much as memory overhead as it would normally do.

Will be included in the beta that will be released next week :)

2. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

On this front, since I started at 2.0 and tested 2.1, and I haven't really looked at the exploding size of my project due to 2GB assets being added left and right... Is there anything we need to manually cleanup that'll be left behind, or will uNature trim any fat it added in the past?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  3. silentneedle

silentneedle

Sounds good. Maybe you could also clean up the resource folders inside the extensions folder. When building they are causing errors because of missing references.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  4. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

It automatically cleans them up :)
    Good idea, I will probably solve it by making each extension a unity package and therefor it wont be imported when not necessary :)

Astaelan1 and silentneedle like this.
  5. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Some more updates regarding build and map sizes - found some leaks on the map data, fixing it now and that should reduce the memory usage exponentially :)

6. mons00n

mons00n

Heya @ElroyUnity I finally got around to testing out UN and have been enjoying it quite a bit. The touch bending and performance increase from dense grass is fantastic. I am however slightly concerned about all of the things in the Resources folder; from the above conversation it looks as though you are working on removing the Resources folder in the next beta?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  7. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!

Happy to hear that!

And yes, it's all removed from the resources folder and stored in the scene file instead (not too big of an affect as I fixed the memory leaks that recently got into my attention)

Next beta will come with some new cool stuff such as new approach for lods, fix for the map magic integration, multi threaded density updates and much more!

Detailed changelog can be found here

8. mons00n

mons00n

Great to hear. Do you have a private distribution channel (i.e. private github) or anything like that for people to more easily get these updates? And could you go into more detail about what is stored in the scene file exactly? My scene files can get quite large and I like to know what is in them =)

ElroyUnity likes this.
  9. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

No, not at the moment, but it's something I am definitely considering :)

And only maps - world maps (normal and world), color map and grass maps.

Its not that heavy as it sounds, probably around 2 mbs for each manager instance (was 15 before!)

10. mons00n

mons00n

Can we move things out of Resources currently or will it break things?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  11. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

It will break it :/
    The beta will be out this week so don't worry :)

12. ftejada

ftejada

Hello @ElroyUnity

I am interested in your product but I do not know if it does what I am looking for.

I have a scene with a very large terrain and I want to display a lot of grass on the screen, even in the distance through LOD's of the grass and things like that.

Do you have an evaluation copy so you can test how far the performance goes with your asset?

Do not misunderstand me ... If it is what I look for I would buy it without any problem. But I do not want to spend the money so that later I can not put in my scene the grass density that I want.
    It has already happened to me with another asset of this style and I do not want to spend the money again.

Another thing, it says it can interact with trees ... Can they be cut in real time?

I await your response, greetings

ElroyUnity likes this.
  13. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey,

A new approach for lods is now in the works, it also includes mesh lods and should be included in the first beta of 2.2 this week.

About trees, yes, it gives you the ability to chop the trees on runtime, look at the tutorials for more detail :)

And no, not at the moment. Feel free to purchase it when the first beta of 2.2 comes out (This friday - sunday) and I will give you a refund if it doesn't work well for you :)

ftejada likes this.
  14. ftejada

ftejada

Ok. I will be pending from Friday

regards

ElroyUnity likes this.
  15. mons00n

mons00n

I'll anxiously away the new version this week then. And I'll also nudge you to setup a private repo of some sort!

btw I got a null ref exception in the editor last night when adding the UNTerrain component to one of my larger terrains:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2.   at uNature.Core.Sectors.Sector+<getChunks>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0 (uNature.Core.Sectors.Chunk a, uNature.Core.Sectors.Chunk b) [0x0001b] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Sectors/Sector.cs:248
    3.   at System.Array.qsort[Chunk] (uNature.Core.Sectors.Chunk[] array, Int32 low0, Int32 high0, System.Comparison`1 comparison) [0x00049] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Array.cs:1775
    4.   at System.Array.Sort[Chunk] (uNature.Core.Sectors.Chunk[] array, Int32 length, System.Comparison`1 comparison) [0x00028] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Array.cs:1700
    5. Rethrow as InvalidOperationException: Comparison threw an exception.
    6.   at System.Array.Sort[Chunk] (uNature.Core.Sectors.Chunk[] array, Int32 length, System.Comparison`1 comparison) [0x00037] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Array.cs:1703
    7.   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[uNature.Core.Sectors.Chunk].Sort (System.Comparison`1 comparison) [0x00000] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:579
    8.   at uNature.Core.Sectors.Sector.getChunks (Vector3 pos, Single offset, Boolean sortResult) [0x0008b] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Sectors/Sector.cs:246
    9.   at uNature.Core.Sectors.Sector.getChunk (Vector3 pos, Single offset) [0x00005] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Sectors/Sector.cs:192
    10.   at uNature.Core.Sectors.UNTerrainSector+<FetchTreeInstances>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0 (TreeFetchingTask_MultiThreaded data) [0x000c9] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Terrain/UNTerrainSector.cs:174
    11.   at uNature.Core.Sectors.UNTerrainSector.FetchTreeInstances (Boolean useUNThread, System.Action OnFinish) [0x000cb] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Terrain/UNTerrainSector.cs:207
    12.   at uNature.Core.Sectors.UNTerrainSector.OnCreated (UnityEngine.Transform owner, Int32 resolution) [0x0001c] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Terrain/UNTerrainSector.cs:90
    13.   at uNature.Core.Sectors.Sector.GenerateSector[UNTerrainSector,TIChunk] (UnityEngine.Transform owner, Vector3 bounds, uNature.Core.Sectors.UNTerrainSector sector, Int32 res) [0x0015b] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Sectors/Sector.cs:137
    14.   at uNature.Core.Terrains.UNTerrain.GenerateSector (Int32 sectorResolution, Boolean multiThread) [0x0001f] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Terrain/UNTerrain.cs:270
    15.   at uNature.Core.Terrains.UNTerrain.OnPositionChanged (Vector3 newPosition) [0x00009] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Terrain/UNTerrain.cs:696
    16.   at uNature.Core.Threading.ThreadItem.set_threadPosition (Vector3 value) [0x0001c] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/MultiThreading/ThreadItem.cs:45
    17.   at uNature.Core.Threading.ThreadItem.Update () [0x0000d] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/MultiThreading/ThreadItem.cs:96
    18.   at uNature.Core.Targets.UNTarget.Update () [0x00002] in /Users/bob/Documents/Unity_Projects/UnityClient/Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Targets/UNTarget.cs:108
    20. (Filename: Assets/uNature/Scripts/Core/Sectors/Sector.cs Line: 248)

ElroyUnity likes this.
  16. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Haha I will most likely set it up for the beta so you could just pull instead of downloading it, would make more sense :)
    Regarding the error - seems like the sector isn't being initialized properly for some reason. Could you try:

1) Remove the UNTerrain component
    2) Delete the "Sector" child that has been created inside the terrain object
    3) Readd the UNTerrain component

Let me know if that work :)

17. masa045

masa045

Hi there
    sorry for not response soon
    I fix now that forgot to attach touch bending component :p
    thanks

btw, I try copying foliage from terrain and success now
    but not affect touch bending and wind effect
    also these foliage not editing foliage manager
    I think overlooked and misunderstanding somewhat

best regards

ElroyUnity likes this.
  18. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey can you explain it again? Sorry for that :)

19. masa045

masa045

Hi ElroyUnity
    I'm misunderstanding now
    forget about that :oops:

btw I also back up unature painted grasses.
    I'm not sure how to do that

best regards

ElroyUnity likes this.
  20. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Np :)

You mean applying the grass backup? Go to the UNTerrain component, into the grass tab and click "Apply Backup" :)

21. masa045

masa045

Hi elroyUnity
    sorry for bad english :oops:
    I use paint tools of foliage manager that paint grasses on terrain.
    I also take back up this
    I can't back up for now
    thanks

ElroyUnity likes this.
  22. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

No problem can you send me your skype in a pm so I could help you better? Sorry for that :)

masa045 likes this.
  23. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

So guys, I've been pretty quiet in the recent few days/ weeks regarding the new version (V2.2). just wanted to let you know that I am going to make quite a big announcement regarding where uNature is heading in the next few days when my interent gets back up on my office but I promise you it's worth the wait :D

So far, some stuff that I can tease you with:

• Took @mons00n suggestion and I now have a github repository ready for uNature from which you will be able to get realtime updates regarding uNature instead of waiting for asset store each time/ betas. I will start adding the current customers when I announce the first beta of V2.2 (probably tomorrow/ in saturday)
    • Speaking about github, I will also be making a Discord channel so it will be easier for me to assist you and easier for me to get feedback from you regarding the system.
    • If you have been following the Trello in the past few weeks you would have noticed that V2.2 is progressing super well considering its probably the biggest update thus far (feature wise) so uNature is definitely progressing well.
    • And the last thing I will tease you with is that I've started refactoring the interaction system for V2.2 (new touch bending, new effects such as better wind, shockwave, explosion effect and more)

There's much more I want to announce but you will have to wait a few days for that ;)

As always if you have any more suggestions make sure to let me know, don't be shy!

mons00n, wood333, masa045 and 4 others like this.
  24. hopeful

hopeful

Just make sure there is a bug free version we can download before a new round of development occurs. ;)

ElroyUnity likes this.
  25. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

That's one of the reasons why I decided to create the github repository - even if there's a bug, you can still just pull the fix that will come out at the same day instead of me needing to upload the beta once again :D

26. silentneedle

silentneedle

2.2 sounds neat, hopefully also those resource folder issues will get fixed, maybe you could also get rid of the UN_INSTALLED scripting define symbol, that symbol doesn't fit well if you setup different release branches.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  27. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Cheers :D
    And well, its there so external systems can be integrated into uNature, will see if I can do something about it :)

28. PatataFrita

PatataFrita

Hi, does this asset only work with terrains?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  29. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

No, can be painted on anything that has a collider.
    Note that it doesn't support multiple paint layers (that means that if you have a platform at (0,0,0) and another one at (0,5,0) you can't have grass on both (as of now) which means that it might not work the best for 3d platformers.

PatataFrita likes this.
  30. PatataFrita

PatataFrita

Thank you very much for your quick response. :)

Unfortunately I use several platforms. Do you intend to correct that issue in the future?

Also say they are created at runtime, does it only work in the editor?

ElroyUnity and malkere like this.
  31. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, Elroy!
    I just watched your tutorial video, wondering how can I use uNature to make a tree chopping system similar to The Forest.
    Procedurally chopped trees. Maybe using the basic interactable UN terrain type to locate the tree I'm chopping then swap it into a premade choppable prefab?
    And also thinking about if I can make a tree growing system based on UN. Having a dynamic forest could be exciting!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  32. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yes its actually planned for the next version :)

And you can do anything on runtime whether its paint, add prototypes, create manager instances and more!
    Yes you could most likely do that!
    About tree growing - that's not a built in feature but should be extremely easy to implement :)

PatataFrita likes this.
  33. Harekelas

Harekelas

Good to know! I'll just wait for the next release and use it with map magic. It will support runtime generated terrain, right?

34. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yes :)

35. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

@ElroyUnity
    Small request, should be a fairly quick and easy one. And it's by no means critical right now, but it'd be nice if uNature integrated with UniStorm (and other realtime wind controlling systems) and reacted to the wind accordingly so that gusts remain in sync at least during storms, grass looks funny when it just sways normally in a storm with trees bending and swaying with gusts of wind.

Might also want to update your first forum post, as 2.1 is out now and the price is raised.

Cheers, looking forward to testing 2.2 fixes.

wood333, AndyNeoman and ElroyUnity like this.
  36. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey -

Yep wind will be recreated for V2.2 along with the interaction system anyways :)

And good catch, will do that now, thanks!

docsavage and Astaelan1 like this.
  37. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

uNature V2.2 Beta 1
    Finally the first beta of V2.2 is ready and there's so much to talk regarding this update and its definitely a push forward for uNature.

So let's begin with what 2.2 will bring:

• Fully multi-threaded density updates - In the last version (V2.1) I have added many new optimization method that might have caused some small spikes on averege scenes (1-3 ms) and quite big ones on a rather big scene (7-15 ms!!!). With the new multi-threading approach its totally fixed (takes 0 ms) and has been very optimized on the unity-thread size.
    • Big enchantments to the overall UI - V2.2 brings a lot of changes to the UI and its mainly noticable in the foliage manager window. V2.2 fixes all of the scale, scrolling, positioning issues and the most noticable one where the dragging was pretty broken. It also comes with some new features such as: Global tint color, the ability to switch between 2 prototypes, the ability to change the texture/ prefab of a prototype and so much more.
    • Map Magic integration and generic support for output terrain engines - One of the most requested features in uNature was the ability to receive grass from terrain engines like TC2, Map Magic, GAIA, GENA straight into uNature instead of needing to copy it everytime and that's where V2.2 comes in. While fixing the Map Magic integration I've come up with some generic code for output receiving and so far its implemented for the Map Magic integration but by the release of V2.2 it will also be integrated into the other terrain engines.
    • Streaming - Speaking of integrations 2.2 fixes the World Streamer issues and makes it easier to add support for custom streaming solution (hopefully will be made even easier by the release of 2.2)
    • New LODs Approach - This has been on my priorities for awhile but never found the right way to do it until 2 weeks ago. It has improved the performance by an insane amount and the effect is very noticable. Note that the lods are fully multi-threaded and therefor do not badly affect the main thread at all. There are 2 types of LODs (Can be used at the same time):
    1. Density LODs - This is the most basic lods method and mostly used for billboard grass. What it does is that it decreases the density based on distance and therefor can have less density on far away patches (to draw less vertices and save performance)
    2. Mesh LODs - This lod method allows you to change meshes on patches that are far away from you. Can only be used on mesh grass naturally.
    • GitLab & Slack - As always I am taking all of your feedbacks seriously and decided that this beta will basically be the start of the uNature repository. Anyone who owns uNature will simply be able to pull the updates daily instead of waiting for beta/ full release everytime. Also in order to provide better support and get better feedback from you guys I decided to also open a slack server to which you can join here and there you will be able to ask questions, report bugs/ request a feature and you will also be able to post your work with uNature!
    • New Grass Interactions - V2.2 will come with a big rewrite to the existing effects (Touch bending and wind) and some new effects such as explosions, return time for touch bending, grass growth and more
    • NO More Maps Saving & Memory Optimizations - The most noticable issue with uNature was the map saving and the fact that it increased the size of the project significantly. 2.2 fixes that and also fixes some memory leaks that were found and reduces the memory usage by around ~70%!
    • Runtime Demo Scene - In 2.2 I created a new demo scene that showcases some of the core API methods and allows you to populate new manager instances, paint anywhere you want, use the runtime brush tools, manage prototypes and much more!
    • GPU Instancing - If you thought that the performance improvements stated above were enough, you are wrong! V2.2 will also bring in gpu instancing which will improve drawing performance on big grass fields :D
    • Minor Fixes - Other than all of the amazing things stated above, V2.2 will also bring some other fixes such as GC fixes, manager instance resolution issues, some inaccuracy with the terrain detail copying, issues with grass disappearing and much more!
    ----------------------------------------​

So with all that being said, what's currently included in the beta?

1) Multi threaded density updates
    2) Big enchantments to the overall UI
    3) Map Magic integration and generic support for output terrain engines (Still in rather early stages but works and needs lots of testing)
    4) Streaming
    5) New LODs Approach
    6) GitHub & Slack
    7) NO More Maps Saving & Memory Optimizations
    8) Runtime Demo Scene

More additions and fixes will come on daily/hourly basis on the GitLab repository!

In order to join it make sure to join the slack channel and send me your invoice OR send me your invoice privately with your email address.

I prefer the slack option so many of you will join and I will be able to get feedback and provide support more easily :)

Helpful Links:

Slack signup link
    Trello
    Asset Store

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  38. TylerO

TylerO

Hi (again) @ElroyUnity, back again from the Voxeland thread! I had one more question regarding uNature and didn't want to hijack the Voxeland thread. So far, uNature seems like a good fit for our project, Forge Networking support is a big plus for us and I wanted to ask if it supported the newest version and their new 'Network Contract Wizard' structure... and if not, will you be adding support?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  39. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!

No, not at the moment although the author has contacted me 1-2 weeks ago regarding that and the integration for "Remastered" will come most likely in 2-4 weeks :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    TylerO likes this.
  40. Paxew

Paxew

Hi Elroy, your uNature asset is looking really good, looking forward to get some hands on experience on it soon. :)

I do have some questions. Will there be any World Creator integration for uNature? I saw that there was a poll on the front page but that has been closed so I can't vote for it anymore.

If there is no integration is there any way I could generate the grass/tree placement in WorldCreator and then replace those with uNature trees/grass instead? E.g. if I could get a "tree placement mask" from WorldCreator, could I then input it into uNature somehow to get trees paced in the same spots?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  41. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!

In the next version I will open the poll again and you will be able to vote once again but as of now its not officially integrated. You could always just copy the grass normally and it would work but it doesn't output the grass directly to uNature. Note that V2.2 brings generic output support so integrating world creator should be easy :)

About trees - as of now uNature doesn't use custom trees and uses the terrain trees. So that aspect will work out of the box :)

42. TylerO

TylerO

Sounds great! In that case, I will keep my eyes peeled on this thread and look forward to integrating uNature with MapMagic/Voxeland and Forge - really stress testing your integrations here :p

43. doq

doq

@ElroyUnity
    I'm trying to apply uNature to multiple tiles of terrain generated with TerrainComposer2. I have 5x5 tiles each 64x64 in size. I had the grass/detail resolution set to 32. When I copy foliage on one of the tiles the grass doesn't render. However, when I switch the detail resolution to 64 it does render. Is this expected behavior?

Also, what's the best way of handling multiple terrain tiles? It's very tedious having to add the "Un Terrain" component to each tile, creating backups and copying foliage for each. Is there a helper/API to do all that?

Thanks

ElroyUnity likes this.
  44. doq

doq

Hmm, that's weird. I just tried reproducing this again, and switching the grass resolution didn't make a difference.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  45. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Regarding rendering - try pulling the latest commit, it fixed some stuff. Make sure your terrain layer is included in the generation mask (If you are on latest commit it will show you a dialog)

If that doesn't work, make sure you have UNSeeker on your player/camera (and camera is assigned)

Regarding tiling - Currently implemented output integration to MapMagic (Instead of drawing to unity it draws directly to uNature) So it will also come to the other terrain engines soon enough :)

Uhmm try what I sent above and lmk if it works :)

46. doq

doq

I am on the latest commit 9a225. The Terrain is on the Default layer, matching the generation mask. I didn't see the dialog you mentioned. UnSeeker assigned to the Main Camera made no difference. I posted a video to slack so you can see.

Update: here it is https://streamable.com/b32gu

ElroyUnity likes this.
  47. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Oh I see, let's go over to slack, will send you my skype so we can get it fixed easily :)

48. kaamos

kaamos

Looks like a great asset, though before I dive in and make a purchase, the problem I'm looking to solve here would be the noticable CPU spikes I get every time I move the player's view in game due to huge numbers of trees in my scene (1 million plus). Is this going to remedy that problem at all?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  49. John-G

John-G

How do I go about getting slack access?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  50. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yes, in the current asset store version there's around 2 ms spikes but in the beta ( can be obtained by sending me an invoice - GitLab access ) its reduced to 0 ms!
    Here :)

John-G likes this.