Search Unity

Bug New package versions are shown as downloaded but I have never downloaded them.

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by HP, Dec 5, 2020.

1. manurocker95

manurocker95

it doesn't correctly update _all_ packages on 2020.2.3. Some does but not others as Waterlane said.

2. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    In order to help us troubleshoot, could you provide us with:
    • Package name(s) not updating
    • Version of the package(s) that's currently on your disk (.../Asset Store-5.x/ folder)
    Thanks!

3. Waterlane

Waterlane

Hi - I had lot's of issues, which didn't seem to be consistent.
    In order to get the latest package versions to show up. I tried refreshing the package manager asset list, clicking on the assets/etc and SafeMode, but at times it seemed as if it just needed time to update the list... Sorry, but I couldn't see a clear pattern. In the end though I managed to update. Fortunately the main assets I wanted to update had HDRP 10.2 files, so I could distinguish between them and the old versions.

The main files I tried which didn't work well, were all from Nature Manufacturer (and I don't want this to reflect upon their really cool assets). I also noticed that some of those assets had not been updated in the past, when I thought I'd already updated them - so I can't be sure of what versions were previously installed... i.e.
    NM Advanced Rock Pack > v2.4 (likely from v2.3)
    NM Advanced Foliage Pack > v2.4 (likely from v2.3.1)
    NM Mountain Tree Pack > v2.3.5 (unsure)
    NM R.A.M 2019 > v1.4.5 (likely from v1.3.7)
    NM Forest Environment >v1.6.5 (likely from v1.6.1)

This really isn't fixed imo - which leads to the concern that I'm not sure if things are updated or not - i.e. I feel I can't trust package manager atm.

Cheers

schmosef and Roller1 like this.
  4. schmosef

schmosef

This has not been properly fixed.

It takes over a minute, without any indication that some background process is underway, for the GUI to update to show that a particular asset has an update available. Every once in a while, it doesn't update at all and I need to close and re-open the Unity project.

At a minimum, we need some indication in the GUI to show that it is scanning for updates.

As a failsafe, we should have a button to force a redownload.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Waterlane likes this.
  5. manurocker95

manurocker95

Same as Waterlane. Some packages are sometimes correctly show up but not always. HPTK package is always bugged tho.

schmosef likes this.
  6. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

Hi guys,

I can't get to reproduce the issue where sometimes the Update button does not show up. Sometimes, it takes a second or two to show but it always display. I also tried introducing network latency. I will ask the development team.

Showing a progress indication during the network call for updates sounds like a legitimate request. I will speak with the team.

In the mean time, if anyone can post a quick screen video where the Update button does not load or takes a real long time, there might be something we are missing internally to repro.

Thank you in advance

7. schmosef

schmosef

My guess for why the update button takes a long time to appear is because I have a lot of assets (around 1,500) and whatever background process is happening is slow (much slower than the integrated asset store) to check for updates and is possibly timing out.

I'll make a screen recording, later in the week.

8. schmosef

schmosef

I've submitted a bug report with a video showing that the integrated Asset Store in Unity 2019.4.20f1 is able to display the "available updates" asset list almost instantly, but that the Package Manager in Unity 2020.2.4f1 takes over 1 minute to show that the same asset has an update available.

The case number is 1315426.

Thank you for looking into this.

hbonin and Waterlane like this.
  9. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

1m07s to show the update! :( I will definitely share your findings with the team today. Thanks schmosef for responding quickly. We need to address it.

I found your case and moved it to Package Manager team backlog.

Sorry for living with this issue. We first need to repro it. I am using a Unity ID owning 2066 asset store packages but a lot less package with updates available than you.

Thanks again,

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    schmosef likes this.
  10. Waterlane

Waterlane

(FYI I had a similar issue - but wasn't aware what was going on at the time.)

schmosef likes this.
  11. schmosef

schmosef

Just in case the question is raised by your dev team, my internet service is quite fast.

I just ran a test at Speedtest.Net. The result was 932Mbps down and 32Mbps up.

12. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

UPDATE: I have been able to reproduce the problem internally. As you state, network performance is not the issue. Parsing all the asset store packages downloaded on disk is the culprit and takes a lot of time.

The team will look into it. Thanks again for your help!

schmosef and Waterlane like this.
  13. schmosef

schmosef

Please point out to the dev team that the integrated Asset Store in Unity 2019.4.20f1 is able to complete the process of scanning my downloaded assets for updates almost instantly, as documented in the video I included with my bug report.

14. schmosef

schmosef

The issue seems to be fixed in Unity 2020.3.1f1 and 2021.1.0f1.

Thanks to @hbonin for helping to get this investigated and resolved.

hbonin and firstuser like this.