Search Unity

[ON $20 SALE!✅]Infinigrass-GPU Optimized Interactive Grass-Trees-Meshes,work on mobile,HDRP-URP

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Barry100

Barry100

Is there a way to save the LOD?? when i press SET LOD then click on another type of grass, then go back to the one I just used, the LOD is reset to the original values! Also are all the meshes so huge!? this isnt as simple as i thought it would be! i just want to paint some damn grass. Already ive spent over an hour trying to make grass look decent and it just looks stupidly huge! Blades of grass are the size of my guy. BTW im using a Mixamo fuse model to compare sizes to and as soon as I start to put grass on the guy looks tiny compared to the grass.

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

http://i.imgur.com/DRKOPT3.jpg

The LOD change distances is a global fucntion and cant be changed per grass type. I may have this option in later versions though.

Since i had many requests for a guide on scaling the grass for various world sizes, i have made a summary of what is needed to change to match the new world scale.

As a first step, the brush size must be set lower to match the desired grass size.

Using InfiniGRASS with smaller than my demo world scales

Here is a small guide of what is important to alter when smaller world scales are used.

The spread must be set a lot lower, to match the lower brush size. I post a pic that shows the setting for a smaller size.

The gizmos can be scaled using "Gizmos scale" parameter in paint settings or turned off using "Toggle Gizmos" global parameter. Collider may also be turned off.

Also i set the shadow distance to 10 (30-40 also works) from 530 in the demo, to get the perfect shadows.

The picture also has a grass painted with the demo default size for reference and some other parameters mentioned that may require tweaking (wind, fade and stop motion distances etc).

In the next update, i will add a global world scale parameter, that will affect all settings and start brushes correctly for the chosen world size. Also i will add a control for the oscillation power of wind, so there wont be a need to be manually changed in the material ("Smooth Wave Motion" parameter, in smaller scales it needs to be set higher to smooth out the wind oscillation for the smaller brush size).

I hope these help, please let me know for more questions that come up during adjustement for lower scaled worlds.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Gozdek likes this.
  3. Barry100

Barry100

ok i dont think this tool is for me right now.. I think its time for a refund. Can you please refund me to my paypal address that I purchased the asset with. If everything right now has to be scaled to suit MY world it could take me weeks just to put some grass on my scene! this is really pretty much useless right now unless I am using the same scale as you used in your demo (which is very very unlikely as no one knows what that scale was). I can not wait for updates to your tool as I need to get my grasses put on my game right now! I really cant understand why you would make the scale of your demo so huge? Considering most people use a 1,1,1 scale??

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

I can send an update with a button in the editor that will scale everything automatically for you based on a world scale you choose, what do you think ?

It will take a few minutes to code

5. Barry100

Barry100

that would be great if you can get that to me..

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sure, i am coding it right away and will send a PM

7. Barry100

Barry100

great cheers

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Ok, it is done, i will test a bit more and send a PM asap

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Ok, i tested extensively, found one minor check i needed to do for the smaller scales and is all working fine, so i will send a PM. I suppose the shadow distances wont require changing, as they are fit to your world size for the rest of the game.

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Global Scaling system hotfix is now available through dropbox

I have created a system to scale the grass brushes based on the desired world scale, for easy migration from my demo scale to smaller or larger world scales.

I can provide the new script as a hotfix for everyone that is interested and would like to have the scaling automated. After the world scale is selected, it is still possible to refine all parameter values manually as well, the scaling will apply only when the brush is selected to the default painting values.

Also this hotfix fixes an issue at very small scales, where very small grass would resize to a bigger scale, making grass look uniform.

Clarification about LOD distances

The LOD distances (Close, Mid, Far, Cutoff) are the distances where each LOD (LOD1-2-3 respectively) will appear.

The grass brushes have no LODs defined, so the LOD0 is their cutoff (as there is no LOD0 to show). The Mushroom and Rocks have LODs defined, so they will vanish at their cutoff

Also note that the Fade distance is a global parameter, so the cutoff distances should all be created above this chose distance. In the next version i plan to have Fade per brush as well.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Another bug has been fixed in smaller scales, when the grass is deleted and then an undo is performed, the recreation of grass missed the scaling of colliders, so in small scales the collider 1,1,1 scale made most of the grass not regrow.

This is now fixed in the upcoming v1.3.

For the current version, in smaller scales it is advised to avoid doing an undo after grass deletion and use the eraser to delete the grass.

I am now also working on a small issue with the windzone, when one is set without using the inspector "add windzone" button, this will cause the wind to not update/be affected properly by the inspector.

As a solution for the current version, always define windzone in GrassManager

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

New Forest Demo for v1.3

UPDATE:

Most of the new features are now implemented and working great, many new fixes and enchancements are coming in v1.3, including a new way to gradually grow grass as the player moves around, which provides a way to have massive grass amount spread on a single scene, for bigger maps.

Mass growth based on splat textures (weighted) is also finilized and works great, it paints correctly on all items and then movable items can also be displaced and move the grass around.

I am now polishing and testing extensively and i will also implement a way to add icons for the custom brushes in the editor, for easier reference.

A global scale parameter has also been added, making the transition to any world scale much easier, by automatically setting all relevant options to the correct scale based on the desired world size.

Please if you like the pack, when possible, leave a review so i can work much faster on upcoming updates.

As i am a one man team, reviews help a lot in keeping the developement for packs full time and delivering extra features much faster.

Thanks a lot in advance for any reviews for the packs.​

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS will remain at the current lower price until v1.3 is released.

Make sure to grab the pack before it goes to the final $60 price.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

InfiniGRASS v1.3 is almost ready for release and will be submitted this weekend.

I will also test a bit more and upload in dropbox for everyone insterested, probably on Friday.

Gozdek likes this.
  15. Nition

Nition

Would this work in the latest version of Unity 4, or does it use some Unity 5 only features?

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

I dont use anything special or very specific to Unity 5, so would probably work fine. I dont know if it is possible to import the asset in Unity 4 though to use the pre-defined brushes/setups and i have not tried it with it, so there may be minor code changes needed.

Unfortunately i cannot provide a Unity 4 version for this pack easilly, as i have worked the project in Unity 5, but i can help with any issues that comes up if the code is used in Unity 4 and with the setup of grass modules etc

I suppose it is also possible to have Unity 5 version installed and see the setup of samples there, in order to it up in Unity 4.

17. Nition

Nition

Thanks nasos, I might check it out.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

I forgot to mention that the system was created in Unity 4 (it is a heavilly modified version of InfiniTREE system which is a Unity 4 release), so if it needs any code changes, will be minor stuff probably. Also the Grass editor script will need to have some references inserted before importing the manager in the scene, for the default brushes and icons etc

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v1.3 is now availbale through dropbox download,
    for everyone insterested to have the updated pack before the store release.

The update will be submitted to the store today and will be up next week on the store.

Make sure to grab the pack in the current lower price as well,
    v1.3 will be raised to the final $60 pricing.

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v1.3 has been submitted to the Asset Store for review on Monday and should be up this week.

Also it is availble immediately to everyone interested though dropbox link.

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

River Lands, prototyping for my RPG areas using Sky Master ULTIMATE 3.0 (water-fog-lighting-sky) and InfiniGRASS

UPDATE:

Great news for the matter of precedurally instantiated terrains. I have created a prefab of the grass painted on a terrain, along with the terrain and it works when instantiating the whole prefab in real time.

I also tested it with the gradual growth mode and works great as well (the grass needs to be "ungrown" before making the prefab)

So this could be the base for the type A procedural placement for grass (pre-defined grass, instantiated along with the object it was painted on). I need to do extensive testing for all options to make sure it works good on all cases, and i will post more information as i test.

Type B will also be evaluated (grass created fully procedurally on the fly without any pre-growth, based on rules and terrain type)

Please if you like the pack, when possible, leave a review so i can work much faster on upcoming updates.
    As i am a one man team, reviews help a lot in keeping the developement for packs full time and delivering extra features much faster.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  22. garrido86

garrido86

My Congrats on being mentioned in the latest AssetStore Newsletter! Much deserved :)

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks a lot :)

I just found out today as well, it was a nice surprise indeed.

I have been wondering how cool the pack would be in combination with your shader as well, i will definitly be doing some tests when i get some free time after Sky Master 3.0 release

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v1.3 is up
    at the Unity Asset Store !!!

Enjoy new Mass Grass Placement features, gradual grass growth, Global Scaling and many more enchancements.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE and Hotfix for Mass placement

I have figured out an issue with the splat maps on Mass Placement module, there is a problem when splat maps change after the grass manager is placed and i added a real time grab of the parameters that seem to fix the issue when more splat are added. I have not yet tested with RTP, but this first solution may be enough, since i got the same problem on my side if i enter the manager before i had defined the splats.

Here is the quick fix

Add in line 378 of the InfiniGRASSManager.cs script

Code (csharp):
    2. //v1.4
    3. if(!Application.isPlaying){
    4.              currentTerrain = Terrain.activeTerrain;
    5.              Tpos = currentTerrain.transform.position;
    6.              Tdata = currentTerrain.terrainData;
    7. }
    also the "Scale per splat map" option in the Inspector options must be checked for the mass plant system to work properly. If not checked it will only plat the first grass type.

These fixes will also come in v1.4 of the pack.

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Free InfiniGRASS voucher with the next two Sky Master ULTIMATE purshases !!!!

Buy Sky Master ULTIMATE and post in the forum thread to get an InfiniGRASS voucher for free.

Vouchers left: 2/2

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have compiled a list of features for next updates, based on user suggestions and ideas i had while testing v1.3

Features coming in next updates of InfiniGRASS (v1.4 and beyond)

- Possibility to grab grass growers from real time painted grass and insert to the Grass Manager in editor mode for later use or save with the scene.

- Mass grass grow will not only place grass based on brush features and splat maps as in v1.3, but will also decide to place brushes based on slope angle and various other combinations and features. The goal will be to have a super varied forest bed with just one mass spread and refine from there.

- Automated Mass growth for multiple terrains, with special care for RAM usage

- Mass growth based on a texture with mask, so it wont be nessesary to paint the actual terrain with the splat maps.

- Procedural growth of grass as the hero moves. Grass will be placed in real time based on defined rules (material hit, splat type with weights etc) and constraints.

- Noise based distribution and scaling in Mass Placement module, that will also blend with slopes and the current splat map based scaling and placement.

- Extra mass grass optimization methods, to further reduce grass that is not contributing much to the overall look, for even more performance enchancement

- Branches brush that can be painted on trees for extra detail.

- Brushes rework with LODs and snow for all the v1.3 grasses (now only rocks and mushrooms have all LOD levels defined). This will ideally coincide with Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0 release.

- More shader features for both grass and rocks. Gravity emulation for grass on slopes and lerp the normal direction with a custom vector.

- Many new brushes for grass, rocks and fences, plus extra vegetation types

- Per brush wind modifier, to fine tune wind for every on grass type (that can already be done by tweaking shader parameters on material level, and controls will be added in the inspector for easy access)

- Spline based mass growth, with grass spawn inside the spline or along the path.

- Pooling of the unused grass parts in gradual growth mode (outside hero grass growth range), so the new in v1.3 gradual growth system and the upcoming procedural grass placement can be even more efficient.

- Billboard behavior integration in shaders for the required LOD parts.

- Add option to have the shader based Fade controllable per each grass type and auto assigned to lower than cutoff distance.

- Integration and testing with RTP based terrains and various other systems on the store (e.g. uTerrain, GAIA, Terrain Composer etc)

- Addition of more scripted dynamic bahaviors, like grass harvesting and much more. Also more work in shaders to expand with possibilities of shader based interaction with agents and grass motion (e.g. spring like motion), for more variety and extra performance.

- More testing to ensure prefab creation is working in all circumstances. The grass can already be saved as a prefab, along with its Grass Manager and objects it has been painted on and can be instantiated at run time. I have tested and the LOD, fade, gradual growth system all work nice, but i always do many more extensive tests to garantee complete stability in all combinations and scenarios, so this will be an ongoing process for some more time.

- Procedural mesh deformation (e.g. noise, twist, bend), for extra variety in grass and musrooms etc look

- Ability to save a brush settings structure with the manager for keeping all brush settings for later use, with load and save back to list options. This will be an extra option to the brush settings and will be especially usefull for the mass placement module, so each brush can have its own settings during the mass planting.

- Regrab of terrain data in editor mode, to fix issue with Mass Placement feature, when Grass Manager was inserted before changes to the terrain splat maps.

- More integration features with Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0, ideas include watery mist on grass based on weather and time of day, grass orientation based on weather events (e.g. grass caught on mud) and much more little details that will make for some super realistic grass bahaviors.

More will be added to the list as i develop the next updates and also it is great to have more suggestions as the system is used in actual titles and more features needs arise.

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

The InfiniGRASS offer is now over, all vouchers have been granted.

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

One extra feature for new versions will be leaves that will react to the passing by hero, the goal is to push leaves aside and form a pile on the sides, for cool effects on unexplored paths.

I have a smaller leaves brush already made for v1.4 and i will be working on the push aside action.

30. kilju

kilju

just bought :) looking nice :) i got rtp3 so looking forward what u got mind with it :D
    keep up the great work!

-Toni

nasos_333 likes this.
  31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Toni,

Thanks for buying :), let me know for any help with the setup and questions on getting started with the system.

The next updates will expand on Sky Master support (e.g. snow in vertex shader as well) and will have many new brushes and a cool demo with a detailed pre-painted forest, plus a big number of new features.

Also i am open to new ideas on what else could be improved and i will try to implement asap, after the release of Sky Master v3.0 next week.

32. kilju

kilju

is it possible to ungrow just some plants because it seems to start lag really badly when placing grass?
    and how i can add grass in play mode? because it seem to work mutch better in play mode than editor :D
    thanks

-Toni

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Toni,

It is not possible to ungrow partially, so the ways to increase paint speed is to use smaller brushes (like those in play mode or smaller) and adjust the editor preview distance to hide some of the further detail.

It is also possible to use multiple Grass Managers, so they can be disabled altogether while painting another grass layer with another manager for example.

Another method is to mass plant grass and refine with erase and paint tools further.

The editor does indeed have slower speed than the in game one, probably due to editor related ovehead, so i have as top priority to provide a module to grab the copied grass growers (just the scripts) from play mode and insert in the editor in editor mode in the next update. This is not trivial and will require some testing, so it will take a bit to get perfected.

34. kilju

kilju

ok thanks for the info. i try to play with it. :) also my water grass seems to go upside down on my terrain

35. kilju

kilju

like this:

Attached Files:

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is the water grass using my prefabs or is a new custom brush (new shader and/or mesh ) ?

37. kilju

kilju

calling it water grass cos i think its same u are using in ur water scenes :D
    every other grass seems to work just fine

Attached Files:

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

This is a special vine setup so it is vertically oritented for walls (the option to lerp with a custom vector in the grower script is enabled), for water i used the first grass with extra wind. To use it for both i would recommend making a new brush copy and assign a wind modifier to it in the shader, so it gets more wind with the same global wind amplitide.

The vertex grasses are also nice for underwater weed look.

39. kilju

kilju

oh ok :D thank you again

time to grassss :D

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

:), the real time painting is especially addictive, i have spend days juts planting while developing the system and i have created all the scenes for my RPG posted here

Now all i need is a system to grab the play mode grass for the editor (as i painted everything in real time), which i hope i can have soon.

Also note the fix i have posted above (post #75) for the mass placement, if the splat maps are defined after the grass manager is inserted in the scene, it may create issue, so it needs the extra code to regrab it or have it inserted after splats are finilized.

This will also be addressed in v1.4

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  41. kilju

kilju

one more thing. is it possible to save grass manager settings? it seems to change values back like editor view distance

42. kilju

kilju

hehe yea i can see why :D btw: how does real time thing work?

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

The settings are kept, as they are registered in the script, but i have a system to redefine them as the world scale changes, so this may be the cause some may be altered, since they re-read the defaults and adjust to the new world scale. Pressing on brushes also applies the default starting properties.

I have now created a system to keep each brush setttings and restore/save them for v1.4, so keeping the settings and using them for painting or mass placement should be easier and more versatile.

The real time mode grows the grass unbatched and then batches it after the grow period is finished. The same happens in the editor, only there the grass is fully grown instantly.

In play mode it is best to grow grass gradually, as a lot of batch operations can create a spike. The system is multithreaded, so the more cores the better the dynamic phase performance and more batch operations can happen transparently.

44. mk1978

mk1978

I have been recently experimenting with InfiniGrass and it looks promising. Anyway, now when I try to paint grass I will get only grey boxes. In the beginning it was working just fine so maybe I messed some options but I can't figure what. Also, the erase functionality doesn't work either for grass. When painting rocks and fences the tool still works just ok. Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

Try to lower the gizmo size, or remove them, probably it is the gizmos

The erase by default erases one by one the painted brushes, and must hit the collider exactly. I have a mass erase option, which must be turned on and then you can erase en mass so it is easier (must be close to the grass to erase too or increase editor preview distance which allows to erase further away)

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A very big performance enchancement will be availble in v1.4, that will take the already super fast grass to the next level of performance when massive grass quantities are required. I have tested with my RPG scenes and i get up to double the frame rate !!!

InfiniGRASS is a true non uniform grass solution, the only method that can provide realistic grass, with each grass blade being unique and completly controllable in shape and orientation.

To this end a lot more shaders and ways to vary the grass will come in next versions, like gravity shaders for slopes and spring like motion on wind and shape modifiers that will make even more each grass blade unique and closer to real life grass.

Also a lot more work will be done after v1.4 to port the system for all mobile platforms with globally compatible shaders.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  47. mk1978

mk1978

Reducing the gizmo size will make the boxes smaller/disappear but the grass is still not visible at all.

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

What is the world size used and the brush size ? Also is it using a custom brush or one of the pre-defined ?

Maybe the grass is so small that requires to remove the gizmos, i have a toggle gizmos options to turn it off. You can see if grass has been created in the GrassBatch Holder

EDIT: The GrassBatchHolder is empty, maybe the grass has been ungrown ? Ungrown grass is removed from the scene and will appear in play mode or can be regrown for editing.

Also note that when regrowing grass, the original objects it was grown on must be on the scene and have the original colliders.

Another reason grass blades get cut back is when they hit another collider than the object the mouse click was made on, so please also check the collider scale of the grasses (each grass grower has a collider, parented in the Grass Manager grasses holder gameobject)

Also is painting working in my demos ? Which version of the pack is used ?

There is an "Editor preview distance" parameter, that will disable grass if far away from the current camera, you can change this too and see if it makes the grass appear.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  49. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks again for such a quick reply and good support!

I am just a hobbyist with Unity so it may take some to test above mentioned item. I tested the demo scenes and they were working just ok. Also, I tested to create a new scene and the problems were gone and InfiniGrass works just perfect with the new scene. Therefore it seems that I had messed something in the current scene.

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, let me know for any further issues that come up.

Note that the system uses the Main camera as reference to calculate LOD and fade etc, i had some reports from using it without a main camera and i will have a control to apply a tag based player in v1.4, which is coming very soon. This option is availble in v1.3 as well, but is not readily activated through the Grass Manager, so it will now be streamlined to use easilly.

v1.4 will also bring many enchancements, like the ability to save / use play mode painted grass, brush saving for using with mass placement (now mass placement can only use one set of brush settings for all invlolved brushes at each application) and better LOD and interactive items control (LOD alteration per brush, interaction radius control for optimization)

Also another note is that the erase and creation of grass must be done through the Grass Editor, and the grass items and holders must not be manually erased or copied/moved. The object grass is painted on can be moved though, in both editor and real time and grass will follow it, i have an option for that functionality.