Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Save $600 offer !✅]Infinigrass-GPU Optimized Interactive Grass-Trees-Meshes,work on mobile,HDRP-URP

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Sep 1, 2015.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

I started on the demo, i had not tested the vertex grass in stress test after the latest optimizations, i plant huge amounts and is still not affecting performance almost at all :)

I will keep planting to the max where my PC starts to see a performance hit (my PC is a very old too so newer ones will breeze through) and upload a demo for testing asap.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is some pics of the first test, i get almost no performance hit with very dense vertex grass and this is a stress test, so there is no LOD levels (besides the cutoff) or any placement optimization and has full shadows and AA as well (in Unity and image effect).

I am also a bit conservative with the LOD cutoff distance, it can be set a lot higher as well without much impact.

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is the demo, i have an FPS counter too, to gauge fluctuations in fps on your system.

InfiniGRASS - Vertex grass performance demo
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/INFINIDY/INFINIGRASS/INFINIGRASSv15 DEMO_VERTEX_GRASS.html

I also noticed that without the Unity editor overhead it is even faster.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  4. bsgbryan

bsgbryan

I have a rather large terrain I created using Terrain Composer. I would like to add large amounts of grass to it. I know that there will be a super-cool procedural way to do this in 1.5 :)

I've noticed that using Mass Draw gets quite slow - it effectively locks Unity up if I make the draw rectangle to big or the draw amount to dense. I'm wondering if there is any way around this in 1.4.

Also, can I manipulate the Grass Manager via code? Meaning; could I setup a script that arranges all the grass to be drawn on play?

Thanks!

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

The best way to handle massive grass in editor is to use multiple Grass Managers, so the whole grass of one can be eliminated when painting with the other. You may need some planning for this, but is the safest way.

For the mass placement there is no other way to do it currently, you can apply more than one placements to ease on the effect and use the "editor preview distance" to lower the item count on view for better performance. I am now thinking of a way to disable each grass patch as it is grown for increasing performance, but this is a bit tricky because i do batching in the editor as well, so i have to be super extra carefull not to break anything :), so optimizations like this will come in later versions after lots of testing and refinement.

To draw the grass on play you can ungrow it and it will grow all on game start, or you can use the gradual growth system which will grow it around the hero and then grow as the hero moves. Use a bit lower density for this mode, as creating a lot of grass in the boundary at once may create spikes.

The various Grass Managers can each have its own mode, for example one could plant its grass at game start all at once, another use gradual growth for filler grass and another use (in v1.5) the procedural mode for grass that cant be painted and need to be fully procedural.

Another idea is also to prefab grass managers and insert in the game, this can be combined with gradual growth to smooth the insertion (as no grass will be created at instantiation and the gradual mode would kick in to handle it)

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Batching SpeedTrees with infiniDy system, this will be available in InfiniTREE 2 and use a bit altered infiniGRASS shaders for wind. The effect can be replicated with the current InfiniGRASS shaders and system as well, but needs some manual work to apply the proper materials to the Speed Trees.

The batching allows for a lot less draw calls, so trees wont slow down the game.

The difference is around 21 draw calls for a single SpeedTree vs 37 draw calls for 14 batched trees (at highest detail level)

Arganth likes this.
  7. TomLikeABOMB

TomLikeABOMB

Those trees look awesome. I'm really looking forward to it

nasos_333 likes this.
  8. nasos_333

nasos_333

And a video showing the shadows

Arganth likes this.
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

To clarify the left tree is the original SpeedTree tree (that has the branch bending as well) and the ones to the right are the batched SpeeTrees with my shaders and system. This is of course a first step and WIP so i could work towards the exact SpeedTree wind and branch bending for later versions.

The performance gain is very big though, so i think it is worth the small downgrade trade off in branch bending for having lots of trees around without killing performance in the current version.

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Another note on the videos, some small bark parts seem displaced, this is because i had left the bending SpeedTree material before batching, so it got batched with the displaced vertices.

My guess is that this is easilly fixed by applying a non bending shader to the bark prior to the batching, i will do some more testing to make sure and post videos with a proper forest and performance.

The next step after that will be to apply a custom bending feature to my shader to emulate the SpeedTree behavior, while keeping it batched for performance.

11. TomLikeABOMB

TomLikeABOMB

Sounds awesome. I plan to eventually use this to make a survival horror game in a dense forest environment.

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, should look very nice for desert with the full shadows.

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

HOLIDAY DISCOUNT for a limited time !!!!

Store link

Enjoy next generation looking grass with extreme performance, customization & placement options. True non patterned solution, with pure GPU implementation for maximum speed (no render textures used) and Interactive grass options (scripted & shader based, real time grass painting).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  14. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS and Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0 - Gradual dynamic moss growth for seasonal effects.

The moss texture is applied procedurally to the bark and wall and can be adjusted per season or be removed completely in play mode. Also there are direction controls (shown in the video near the end). The dynamic 3D moss is applied through the new brush in v1.5 of InfiniGRASS.

A lot more nature detailing work is also in progress, with vertex color blending to the ground, wetness on grass using Sky Master shader and various other details for more variety.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    TomLikeABOMB likes this.
  16. nasos_333

nasos_333

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

3D planets with InfiniGRASS, everything is planted with the system (trees, rocks, fences, flowers, grass etc) for super performance, LOD transitions and next gen looks & shadows. LOD is set low to show the way the items can be recreated on the far side for extra performance (though the system is super fast with vast view distances as well, but every little bit helps when it comes to performance)

Besides the full mix mode (spherical + flat) which is already supported, i plan to also have support for bend shaders (e.g. for Curved World support) for pure spherical modes.

TomLikeABOMB likes this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS - Mass Plant in Multiple terrains tutorial.

The system will grab the Terrain Data of the first active terrain. To mass place on another, the previous must be disabled and the system will auto grab the new one and its terrain data for the splat based planting.

You may also register a brush settings (choose brush, alter settings and use the save settings button) and check the "use brush setting" checkbox to use the saved settings when mass placing.

There is also a scaling factor per splat map that can be used (not covered in the video).

A video tutorial focusing on the settings save and use and scaling per splat map will follow soon.

More tutorials: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/in...c-grass-everywhere.351694/page-4#post-2405601

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  19. zenGarden

zenGarden

Your plugin becomes interesting.

Does it support automatic grass placement or manual painting using some floor angle treshold ?
    For example allowing grass to be automatic or manually painted only on level parts where the floor normal is between 0 and 35 degrees ?

Do you plan some option to avoid the grass to be painted on objects above terrain that have collision like houses or any 3D asset above the terrain ?

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

The painting is not yet cut off by height or ground angle, this is being handled for v1.5 though, so the option will be enabled after the next update. There will be a min-max height and slope parameter per grass type.

The system already takes into account the angle of ground when planting for the grass orientation, so should be trivial to do the cut off as well. v1.5 will also have a big number of extra features like full procedural mode, fast temporal shader based interaction, local forces (gravity, local wind), vertex blend with the ground, procedural shaping of grass and much more (these are all in the final stages of development).

Features like texture based planting (for mesh terrains), curved world support out of the box and grass burning may also come in v1.5 (though these are a bit trickier, so i may require extra time to perfect).

The grass is already cut back if it does hit the target collider in paint mode. For example if you click on a sphere then the grass wont be painted on another object behind it even though the projection may hit another grass enabled collider.

Also the Mass Placement feature will only paint on objects tagged as "PPaint", thus you can use any object not tagged like this to mask the Mass Placement (and manual painting as well).

InfiniGRASS can also be used for any other use, like rocks, mushrooms and even basic trees (InfiniTREE will handle far more complex trees though, L-shaped for example for automatic variety and with spline based growth of branches and roots in v2.0).

Let me know for further questions.

21. zenGarden

zenGarden

So if there is a house not tagged PPaint on top of the terrain, only the terrain around will be painted and not the house, and not the terrain below house interior ?

I have some idea of a margin option, like having grass painted only 0.5 meters around objects not tagged PPaint.

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

Yes, same goes for trees with collider etc, these will not get Mass Placed grass below the collider (grass can be added manually if needed after the mass placement)

The offset is a bit tricky to emulate, but i can imagine a few ways to do it (for example add a scaled dummy collider and plant, then erase it or scale the current collider lower or higher and plant) to make use of the collision system that simplifies things.

It is a great idea, so i will add it in the upcoming features list.

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is an example of using any 3D object with collider to mask the Mass Placement.

zenGarden likes this.
  24. jdraper3

jdraper3

Really cool looking system - unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to work yet. I gave up on 1.3, but recently updated to 1.4 and tried again.

I'm trying to mass place grass in a small area just to test. I setup the A and B corners above the terrain, and setup the brush type per splat according to the video tutorial, but when I Mass Place, I get this error:

"The variable Tdata in the InfiniGRASSManager has not been assigned."

So, I tried manually painting it instead but the grass is taller than the trees. I changed World scale to 1 (it was set to 20 by default), but whenever I paint the grass on the terrain it is all laying flat on its side.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Apparently Tdata is the terrain data - not sure why this is null here? I manually hacked it into the infinigrassmanager script and mass place then worked, but the grass is still giant, as mentioned above.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

The TData is aut oassigned from the current Unity terrain, to do the splat map based features. This can be caused if there is no Unity terrain at all in the scene or if the TData have been reassigned (e.g. using some tool) after they have been grabbed. In this case you can enter debug mode, remove the terrain and the TData will be re-assigned automatically.

I also have a video guide showing this procedure and for use with multiple terrains, the way it is done is by disabling the other terrains and use Mass Place on one, the active one is automatically reassigned and grabs the correct TData automatically.

Make sure to also have the latest version of the system.

The flat grass is probably the wind setting, for lower scales try to lower the wind strength and turbulence as well and see if it solves the issue.

Tutorial for terrain handling (multi terrain and TData debug)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/in...c-grass-everywhere.351694/page-5#post-2446926

26. jdraper3

jdraper3

Thanks for the reply - it was indeed the wind settings. I have a new problem now though - when I scale down the wind, grass near the camera stops moving and grass about 30+ meters away is extremely turbulent. I only have one wind zone, and my trees are bending correctly.

Also, no matter what I do, I can't seen to get the grass scale / density in mass place correct. Is there a suggested workflow there? I keep crashing unity when mass placing grass - just the smallest tweaks to size and density values seem to be the difference between 100 game objects being created and 10,000. I'm testing in a tiny area and I can't seem to find the sweet spot for a lush, dense field of grass. It's either extremely sparse, or unity freezes up when i hit the Mass Place button.

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

There is a parameter, "stop motion distance", which stops wind near the player at the specified distance to interact with scripted manipulation. You may lower this value as well to get the grass motion to stop much closer to the hero.

Also there is the grass fade parameter that will also need to tweak based on the smaller scale.

There is also a feature to save the brush settings and use them in Mass Placement, for easier access to previous settings.

The Mass Placement can cover any scale, i will create a small video of the 1:1 scale paramaters to clarify asap and post in a few minutes

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  28. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is a small video with Mass Placement in a 11x11 size cube. I also showcase the "save settings" method that will use the saved brushes for the placement (all properties will come from the saved settings than the current ones)

The "fade distance", "stop motion distance" and LODs will also have to be tweaked as desired (when using the global scale it does a first scaling, but this is only a default in LODs for example and may require further adjustments)

jdraper3 likes this.
  29. jdraper3

jdraper3

Thanks so much for the vid! I completely missed the scale section at the bottom - I was changing it in the brush preset. Awesome review incoming :)

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks a lot for the glowing review :), reviews help greatly in the effort.

The system will get a very big amount of new features in the coming v1.5 as well (full procedural mode, vertex color blend with ground, grass burning and seasonal changes with Sky Master ULTIMATE controls, temporal shader based interaction, gravity emulation and local wind in shader, procedural change of grass for unlimited variety with a single mesh, basic tree sample to showcase that trees are also possible with the system and much more), mainly thanks to reviews like this :)

Make sure to check out the other tutorial videos as well that show how to setup the hero, plant on multiple terrains and use the system with custom grass or objects (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/in...c-grass-everywhere.351694/page-4#post-2405601)

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The base for the seasonal changes is done and is now tweaked for the smoothest effect possible. The effect will be shader based, for ultimate performance.

I will post a video soon.

32. Gozdek

Gozdek

Great work!

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Grass burning
    The burn out shader base is now ready and working great, i recreated it using ShaderForge tutorial videos and it now needs to be tranfered to the grass shader.

Seasonal Grass
    Several issues with the grass scaling after the batching have now been all fixed and the grass will grow properly in any orientation bringing the seasonal module one step closer to completion as well.

These will come in v1.5 along with the many other features already in place (vertex colored grass based on ground texture, local interaction, gravity and wind in shader, procedurally changed grass for infinite variety with a single model, new brushes etc)

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric grass, fog, clouds and water with optimized quality / performance factor. Grass is optimized and created with InfiniGRASS and the volumetric clouds-fog and water are using Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.1.

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.1 has been created specifically to work perfectly along with InfiniGRASS and a lot more integration with seasonal changes and growth, more snow refinements and grass burning will come in the next versions of both assets.

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The burn shader has now been integrated and will move to integration with the overall system. This system will also be included in v1.5 of the pack.

Also i am playing with a few ideas of how the system could be used for optimized tiling terrain and houses, with auto configuration and much more effects, this is a TBD if it will go in the pack.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  37. gecko

gecko

I was reading this topic and about to ask about seasonal changes (grass changing from green to brown, etc.), so was delighted to see your post above. Can you describe how that'll work? And roughly when it'll be released?

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

The system will have a two texture shader that will grow the plant texture in shader, for zero performance hit and when the time to switch to a new plant version comes it will blend between the two textures gradually and replace them with the next set. The goal is to have both great speed and as smooth change as possible so the effect does not look strange.

I am very close to the smooth effect now and have the growth shader working perfecly, so i hope this can come soon, the target is early to mid next month, the timing depends a lot on reviews for the packs too, so a few good reviews may speed this up considerably for example, so this time is a rough guess.

Since the effect is almost ready as well, i could provide it for testing as a WIP feature for any user interested probably next week, so can have it and play with it before the whole of v1.5 comes out (which is a very big update that will have a very big number of new features that need to be polished for release)

39. gecko

gecko

Cool! I won't have time to play with it for several weeks but will contact you at that time.

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sure, i will post many videos of the effect also as it progresses, probably in the weekend

41. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, this asset looks great and I have a few questions. What apple devices can have good experience? If a rock is rolling, can physical engine effect on grass on it?

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

The system does not officially support mobile yet, due to the shaders that are SM3.0. I plan to support mobile later as the system code can be used in any system, and you can use it with custom shaders as well that play well on mobile for example, but the official out of the box support is not up yet as getting a global shader usuage on all mobiles is not trivial.

It should play fine on desktop mac PC's, i did not have any reports otherwise yet and there is a very big ammount of users, plus Unity is generally handling the desktop platforms rather well in compatibility.

The grass can be affected by script out of the box (you can set an interactor, when this passes near grass it opens the batch and rotates grass based on the interactor speed and direction). The same principle can be used to affect it with physics (open the batch but not scrpt the grass and add a collider and rigid body to the blades) but this is not out of the box and would require writing a custom action in code (which should not be very hard as the scripted motion sample can be used as base).

This effect works best with less dense or simpler (quads) grass, and needs beefier machines as the grass gets more complex (since the grass batches open up) and is also best to split the effect in frames (meaning use only one interactor and pass the various objects in various frames, probably those that have the more close / evident effect etc)

The scripted interaction can create permanent changes to the grass direction and scale.

In the upcoming v1.5 of the system i have in place a temporal interaction system that is purely working in shader and displaces temporarily the vertices as the interactor passes near the grass (the position, speed vector are passed in the shader from a single interactor each time). This has near zero performance impact even with the complex grass meshes and creates temporal motion effect that moves back to the original position and wind when the interactor moves away.

The current demo has a mode where you can plant interactive grass (enable with a GUI button first) and then cast balls to see it move as they pass through, so a preview can be seen there. The shader based grass can be seen in a few of the new videos in the WIP thread too and a demo will follow soon, along with the seasonal changes and other v1.5 features.

Let me know for further questions

zhuchun likes this.
  43. zhuchun

zhuchun

Does it support generate grass from seed(or saved data) in the runtime?
    Last package I grabbed from the store said they provide source codes so you can do anything. GEE! Those codes are terrifying lol

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

There is no seed system, but it does support growing back saved (grown in editor) grass in run time in various ways (grow the painted ungrown in editor grass all at once in scene start, grow it gradually as the player comes near, grow gradually and erase as player moves away to also save RAM, grow by instantiating a prefab with a grass manager and the painted grass growers etc)

In v1.5 there will also be a full procedural system for growing grass.

45. kilju

kilju

hi nasos. when are you going to release 1.5?
    when it will be released can i use it with my old 1.4 project? or should i wait till u release 1.5?
    thank you

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

v1.5 will focus on bringing extras like new shaders and interaction modes, vertex painted grass base by ground, procedural mode and seasonal changes.

Of course mostly everything you see in pics/videos is made with the current version and there is no reason to wait unless you need some specific of the v1.5 extra features. These will be added as extra option and will be fine to use with an existing project as well.

I cannot say when v1.5 will release as there has been a very big number of features added and could be a while, it also depends a lot on reviews, so the release schedule is adaptive. I target start to mid of February as a first guess, but this could change.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  47. kilju

kilju

ok thank you for your answer :D nice to hear it can be used with old project. i will review your product :D best support ever

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :), every review counts and helps a lot in the effort. I will post a video of the new seasonal system too as soon as possible, this one is definitly one of the highlights of the upcoming version (even though it came in last in the new feature list)

The new temporal interaction is also great to have, as it can be used to emulate interactive grass with almost zero performance hit.

kilju likes this.
  49. mk1978

mk1978

In my thinking it should be opposite way. Once the solution is good it gets good reviews because customers are happy.

I bought the product already with intro price but I have not yet given my review. The main reason is that I think that the product has huge potential and the grass looks already amazing. There is no other grass solution even close to this product. Anyway, I think that usability of the product is not that good yet and the support materials (documentation, videos, etc.) are not the level that I would assume for Asset that costs 60$. This is the reason why I am still waiting with my review.

One addition to my comment.With support material I mean only documents and videos. I have to say the the author is really quick and supportive when asking questions, etc. by email.

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

That is also fine, but that does not change the fact that less reviews cut back on the ability to bring new features and update the pack faster.

I am constantly trying to increase the usuability and tutorials on the pack, i have recently added lots of tutorial videos (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/in...c-grass-everywhere.351694/page-4#post-2405601) and try to implement most features users have asked as well to the best of my ability (e.g. mass placement of grass, splat map based placement etc).

Generally user reviews are rare, even when the pack is near flawless.

Also there is a connection between usability and features, for example i could have made the pack much simpler and get a lot worst results, this might have better reviews, but would sacrifice on quality.

To sum up, my point with this is that if someone likes the pack and has not yet given a review, would be great to do so to help the effort. If you feel the asset is not up there yet, it is still very welcome and i am trying my best to meet all expectations with every new release.