Search Unity

New Link's Awakening level design tools?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arvzg, Jun 14, 2019.

1. arvzg

arvzg

I was watching some E3 stuff this week and came across the new Link's Awakening:

youtu.be-G4eNxiRbk-I.jpg

and I got to thinking about how you would make a game like that, especially the way the level gets put together.

What might their level design tools look like?

I imagine for a fairly large map like this they would create their world in-engine, as opposed to simply importing mesh from a 3D package. I wonder if the world is sort of tile based? The reason I suspect it could be tile based is from the dungeons:

youtu.be-G4eNxiRbk-I (1).jpg

It can be clearly seen from the ground that this level is tile based. Perhaps some areas, like this dungeon are tile based, and others are more terrain-like? We can see in the first screenshot there are raised areas with ramps connecting them, which might be tricky to achieve with a tile system.

Maybe a tool like TileTool or TileWorldCreator?

2. halley

halley

It's grid-based but not necessarily tile (sprite) based. Each grid square has one thing, and each type of thing has a small state diagram for what it can do, or what it can change into.

3. arvzg

arvzg

oh yeah, I meant a 3D tile, something unity doesn't really have. I still think the ground in map outside of the dungeon might not be grid/tile based, those ramps dont feel like theyre on a grid

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

Unity may not have one natively, but honestly, it's not a terrible difficult thing to implement on your own if you have an intermediate level amount of coding experience.

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  5. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Its probably "layer based" as well where you got the floor tiles, doodad objects (which sit on top of the floor). Now the ramp could just be a tile, for the floor you could "levels" which could set in the editor (similar to how you do with the editor with the terrain editor).

For layer 1 of the floor have a plane, for layer2 have a cube , for layer3 you got 2 cubes ontop of each other -- obviously it gets more complex (if you want something nicer looking). When you are placing objects just do a raycast to the floor and put above it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    arvzg likes this.
  6. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

there is progrid which is now an unity plugin for that purpose, it was made for probuilder

Ryiah likes this.
  7. neoshaman

neoshaman

3d tile object, terrain for ground, some ground are actually tile object (to get sharp opening over cliff), overhead camera with tone down tilt shift, PBR with material inspired by toy.

You could probably do the lay out using a bitmap and read the pixel directly, one for the heightmap, one with environment tiles index, another for "teleport" (index the tile where to teleport), the last to place active objects.

That's how I did in blitz3D :D

arvzg likes this.
  8. arvzg

arvzg

One thing that I'm really curious about specifically is if the ground are tiled, how do they achieve a seamless texture that looks like it's got some variations?

youtu.be-Yr7owBUsENc.jpg

You can see here the grass texture is quite seamless, though there is probably some repetition it's basically completely invisible and looks quite varied

If they made the ground with tile objects, I wonder if they have some kind of scripted texturing system, so the textures aren't built into the tile 'prefabs' but are applied after the objects are put in place?

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't actually know what Link's Awakening does (and that screenshot is from the overworld which might be hand authored), but it's not unreasonable to think that they're using triplanar, or actually just planar projection, where they use position.xz for texture coords instead of actual UVs.