Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

New Learn area is here: Now with added YouTube.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Head of Learn Content Production Unity Technologies

You may or may not have noticed on the main bar at the top there is a new section called Learn! So far we have a collection of beginner tutorials and more will be added soon.

You can check it out from the top bar or click here

And watch the introduction video here

2. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

And this is what separates Unity from the rest of the engines :) Unity has a strong, supportive background which is also very user orientated. You wont find that anywhere else. Good job guys.

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Cool, but I can't help but think the GUI should have came out before the learning section...

4. GiusCo

GiusCo

Marvellous job, congratulations!

5. Tanel

Tanel

Congrats! Down the road, will there also be more advanced stuff (can't watch the vid if it's mentioned there right now)?

Also, every thread doesn't need a post about the GUI system. If your project is on hold because of that, then you need to plan things better. There's no guarantee the new system will even cover all your needs.

6. wccrawford

wccrawford

Video says '502 bad gateway', both from the link here and from the page.

7. Amon

Amon

Nice addition.

8. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

How are the two related?

9. FlyingRobot

FlyingRobot

Wow! That's really something awesome!

10. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

+1, the joke is around about wanting GUI but don't labour it everywhere when something good is around :)

11. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Would totally read all of it, if it had transcripts! So transcripts please! (i really don't like the trend of video learning, it's good to have that option but not as the only option, and limits your speed of learning at the video lenght, i want to cut the chitchat and if there's only 20second worth of content in a 5 min video, see it in 20seconds! :) )

12. larvantholos

larvantholos

I really appreciate the video learning, and have been waiting for this for a long time. By providing this to the masses, its truly seeing unity's commitment to democratizing game creation.

13. Krileon

Krileon

I hate video tutorials. Please stop doing them. Provide a real tutorial with text and screenshots if you need to show something. Then have a short video of the final end product of the tutorial. Videos make it extremely annoying to go back and forth while working alongside it.

14. woodygoodyonline

woodygoodyonline

15. Tiles

Tiles

Only C# scripting tutorials? Really? Do you want JS to die out?

That you can use more than one language was and is one of the strenghts of Unity. I`m by no means a fan of C#. Would be a pity when you would want me to use C# now :(

16. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Question: is there a way to submit tutorials for consideration for the learn section?

17. Tiles

Tiles

Ah, have overlooked that the scripting examples comes in the three languages below the videos. I would nevertheless love to see JS videos too :)

18. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

there are so many JS tutorials out there already and i am happy that finally Unity made C# tutorials.
    They had to disappoint one of us and this time it wasn't me :)

19. Tiles

Tiles

Point taken :)

But ideally they wouldn`t have to disappoint anybody when they simply would provide the videos for all three available languages. That would also give BOO a boost ;)

20. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

+ 1, would be nice to have a user submitted section. Kind of like the Unity of youtube refined to a certain area.

21. stuatk

stuatk

how about making sure the scripting manual has nothing missing before creating this?

22. mgear

mgear

how about later some icons/colors for "already watched" tutorials ?
    (or something similar, to see your own progress/history like in khanacademy.org )

23. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

It makes 0 sense to do 1 vid per language, you should be able to follow the vid in any language if you know any of those, even more so with the translated source to guide you, and it would triple the recording effort.

I'm not against videos and i know they're a nice tool for some, i would like the transcripts on top of having the video, not instead of, it's easy to provide if you write it first and read it during the vid :)

24. Acumen

Acumen

Man, that is so brilliant :)
    If now some shuriken related stuff pops up, that will be golden !
    Gogogo, you good people !

25. goat

goat

I don't like video tutorials either but know that for something like Blender they make more sense.

With Unity it's not so clear cut that video tutorials are better: it's a way to avoid QC of the tutorial documents and they quickly become outdated with minor UI and other changes. As another user mentioned they are not searchable and if they were made searchable with timestamps and transcripts you could link a UI useage in Unity directly with the transcripts and a video seek to the relevant timestamp. We know most teenagers prefer videos but it's not really doing them any favours.

That said, I hope you make the html code that runs organizes the tutorials available so that it works correctly on localhost so that we can download that and the videos to an offline location. Streaming is so slow, server availibility so spotty, and it affects video quality and availibility.

26. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments so far - to feed back.. and because I'm lazy in replying individually to questions.. here is a list in no particular order! w00t!

1. Yes we plan to create a community part of this with submitted tutorials, it makes total sense and you guys make amazing stuff. I wanted to get our stuff up first and show what we are trying to create, we're looking at making the community part in phase 2 or 3.

2. Javascript! Yeah well we basically would have been slowed down recording everything in parallel, it essentially doubles our video production workload so, it'd be tough to justify. The differences really aren't that great between the languages, and as you noticed we've made a really nice snippet area with all three on there.

3. Already watched is a feature for phase 2, which is where we'll add a 'My learn' area, that is designed to give you tools like tracking progress and creating your own playlists of content to keep and share.

4. stuatk - we are always working on the Documentation you're discussing, and soon this will not be tied to releases, so you'll see a more often updated set of docs, which will hopefully satisfy you.

5. ronan - I appreciate that you 'don't like video' but I have designed all of this content with the same annoyance at how some people produce video tutorials - the modules you see on the site are as short as possible to get the message across and we avoid chit chat at all costs, so I hope that if you give what we have a chance, you'll see that we have prioritised concision.

6. Krileon - I am not really fussed if you hate video tutorials, I hate sprouts, yet every christmas, there they are. More to the point, videos are the quickest most efficient way to get a point across that is largely visual - do I show you what the component looks like, or do I describe it? I'll go for showing you every time. If your worry with videos is that they are hard to refer back to, we built in the ability to use cursor keys to skip back and forth by 30 seconds, as I thought this may help, if its what I address in point 5 above, I urge you to give what we're providing (hey for free, remember? yay) a chance and if you still hate it, come back, and tell me to shut up and eat my sprouts.

7. goat others - I see the benefit of transcripts, and we'll be making these as part of localisation, so I'll find a neat way of including those. For us in general its good for SEO, and we're adding search very soon so its all useful. We use tags to help you find content video wise - so actually that won't be a problem btw. Also we are looking at improving the streaming service you're getting from us and are in talks with our host atm.

27. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I will give it a try it's just that i'm a very fast diagonal reader, so usually reading a whole technical book is done at around 100 page/hour minimum, much faster if it's content i already know about and just want to dig into deeper, so with a video i kinda have to "watch again" whatever i know, with a transcripts that is 10 page long it will usually take 10sec or do to discard half the content. But yea they're reasonably fast and each seems topic focused so i'll give it a try.

28. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Hi Will! Some additional questions based on that:

1) When you say a 'community part', I find myself a bit confused (though possibly needlessly)...we already have a Wiki and the Answers system. What do you mean?

2) More of a thought than a question: say developer Joe is working on something, and they discover a best practice (for the sake of discussion, avoid using Get/SetPixel and Texture2D.Apply() every frame, due to Texture2D.Apply having some performance issues. Joe finds a cool workaround that makes sense.) Joe, having found a best practice, writes up a tutorial and submits it, and at UnityTech, you all read it over, and, golly...it makes perfect sense! In fact, the idea is so good, UnityTech would like to make sure everyone knows that this is a best-practice for Texture2D.Apply()! Why shouldn't Unity put that idea forward in the official training material (possibly even giving the originator credit for the good find)?

29. Krileon

Krileon

Eat your sprouts, lol. I still hate video tutorials. With some things they make perfect sense. With scripting they don't make any sense at all. Video tutorials are fine when teaching the basics of the UI, but beyond that they're not much help and you can't cover detailed usage without having a long drawn out video which could've been covered better when proper text and image tutorials. Ideally you'd combine text, screenshots, and videos to make a very awesome tutorial. Anyway, that's just my opinion I guess so if it works it works I suppose.

30. outtoplay

outtoplay

Videos ++1, C# ++1... but that's just one guy's opinion.

Stunning job, Will and team Learn! Bravo.

31. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Its hopefully gonna be a mix of what you're suggesting - I am not saying it'll be totally different part of the site, more that we'd do something similar and quote your user as 'originator' - more often than not we'd need to do some work on rewriting / updating anyway. But yes, ultimately this makes sense. As for your point 1 - the wiki is really old, outdated and not widely used - I am purely talking here about getting community submitted stuff in the style you suggested. Answers is more for solving problems than teaching directly - though I do have a best practice / optimisations / problems solved area planned as a new 'topic' I just don't have a proper place for it yet.

32. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Well in an ideal world, we'd have articles that phrase things nicely accompanying the videos as a secondary option (phrasing shouldn't really be the same for written and spoken teaching, so direct transcription wouldn't be ideal - and wouldn't work as often we are referring to what we are demonstrating). But we simply haven't the bandwidth to do that at present, and i'd rather get more content online, in the form we have, than attempting to cater to users that prefer reading. Hopefully we'll get more content in a written form - which btw is planned, we just haven't got it on there yet.

33. wccrawford

wccrawford

Still getting an error for many of the videos in the 'modules' section.

34. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

How can i download the movies to learn offline?

35. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

First I've heard of this - can you give me some details - where are you based? what kind of connection do you have and what browser you're using please?

36. ZJP

ZJP

Download Helper.
    Just tried. Works well.

37. Tiles

Tiles

May i give some feedback here? I don`t use it anymore nor do i submit something to the Wiki because it is under a restrictive Creative Commons license now. And not under Public Domain as it should. Up to that point it was a great source for me to learn and grab stuff from though. So kudos who have submitted scripts to the Wiki in the past.

A official link to find the Wiki without deeper searching could do a miracle at the not widely used front ;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  38. wccrawford

wccrawford

Central FL, OSX, Chrome. It's the network at work, which I believe is using cable.

I was actually in the middle of watching one of the videos (second video for the stealth project) that worked and it cut out. Reloading the page ended up with the 502 error, just like most other videos.

$PLWdzGV.png

I'll be home in an hour or so and can try it again there to see if I still have issues.

Update: From home (Win8, Chrome) everything seems to work fine. Also Cable internet.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  39. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Aurore, any chance you allow the video to be downloadable ?? I think a lot of people here would appreciate it if UT allows offline viewing of these great tutorial videos - instead of streaming the video all the time (which is slow most of the time) and also when you just want to watch the video again and again (or when you are on the road and you have no access to internet).

So maybe allow all these tutorial videos to be downloadable as .mp4 ??

Another suggestion - I think UT has neglected the manual for a long time - I would like to see a PDF version of the manual, scripting reference and Component Reference - with proper index and chapters. This would greatly enhance the over all learning for most newcomers.

40. dtg108

dtg108

I agree with others, I was really excited about this, but no text tutorials? Will there ever be any?

41. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Seconded. The manual needs some love.

42. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

Just took a look at this Delta.Time Tutorial (in Beginner Scripting section) and the example seems to be wrong as the delta time logic is placed inside FixedUpdate instead of the regular Update function with a pretty unsmoothy result (even in the video). Or did I miss something?

43. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

People will want to make a game and currently Unity will have to tell them:
    1. Ok, you have downloaded Unity free now spend $150 on a GUI software.
    2. Here is how to make a GUI it has terrible performance and will be redundant soon.

Though if the trends follow it will be more like, it will be redundant in six years -.-

44. Khyrid

Khyrid

I don't mind video tuts, but I do prefer the PDF ones.

45. giyomu

giyomu

I remember have read in the forum someday, that if you use delta.Time inside FixedUpdate it will just then translate to "fixedDeltaTime" instead for you..then the fact it look unsmooth, well if 1 > you do not interpolate and 2 > you have a really low timestep time..it will surely look not smooth :)

46. Magico

Magico

I too agree with manual tutorials in pdf or whatever.
    While sometimes it is ok to listen to mumbling for few minutes. But it's anoying if you have to come back and search for some information details you forgot.

47. goat

goat

Sounds good to me. If the videos will be transcripted and cross-indexed to seek to the right timestamp in the video when clicked why can't Unity develop a macro program to do the command mentioned in the videos in the Unity editor and make a before, during and after screen shot?

Or I guess you'd pre-record the work you do with some of the fancy macro recording software used to create regression tests and then run that unit of the regression test while the tutor explained what the regression tests where doing. The regression test software could make screen shots at the appropriate time and after the transcripts from the video were make you'd have a way to create PDFs of the videos. Though I'm not sure if these new automated regression test program are up to doing something like that. I've only ever done expect and other scripting although I've scene collegues use macro recording programs for there GUI activity.

48. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Whats happening to the old demo's and tutorials? Everytime I come across one from the past referenced in a Unity blog or forum post its no where to be found any more?

For example - Mulitplayer on iOS

Now granted that one is from 2010 and if its not been regularly updated I can imagine it having all sort of errors to sort out, though i'd be a little surprised if the actual information contained within the tutorial is also completely out of date? I'm sure there are a few others like this that i've come across and probably posted about.

I can appreciate that the new learning zone is going to take a while to get up to speed, but its such as hsmae that some of the old ones appear to be lost forever.

49. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Yeh I second that. I think Unity should KEEP the old tutorials. Maybe put it under Unity 3.x section.

50. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

dtg108 - There will be some but not in the immediate future. We may transcribe what is there, but you also have the docs, and there are books out there (hint hint).

bawss - I am looking into the best way of providing a download on nodes of content, I'm aware this is useful for people. Super keen to avoid people just uploading our stuff on their own site, but as we've seen if people wanna use download helper, they will anyway.