Search Unity

[FREE] Introducing Amplify Occlusion 2 – Ground Truth Ambient Occlusion, up to 2X faster!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Should work fine with the standard built-in renderer but for SRP you need the Stack. I recommend updating as we just launched a quick fix for a couple of issues reported in the last few days.

It's available now, let us know if the problem persists.

2. bonzaiferroni

bonzaiferroni

I'll confess I'm fairly new to the world of AO and it is going to show. I'm having an issue with flickering that seems entirely related to the Filter Response setting. As the following video shows, at the default of .5 there's some very noticeable flickering. Setting to 0 completely removes it, but then there are odd trails on moving objects.

Is there something I can do to mitigate the issue?

Using forward rendering with MSAA, built-in render pipeline, Unity 2019.1.2f1.

3. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, in this particular case having Temporal Filter enabled together with Downsample is not ideal, as downsample lowers the overall quality of the effect making the ghosting of the temporal filter feature more obvious.
    If you want to use Temporal filter, disable Downsample and tweak the Filter Blending and Filter Response until you're happy with the results, but keep in mind that ghosting is an expected behavior for this specific feature.
    Alternatively, if you're looking for additional performance at the expense of quality, disable Temporal Filter and keep Downsample enabled, then further tweak the remaining settings to offset the lower quality that results from this feature.

In short, tweaking the AO effect depends on the target platform(s) and whether you're looking for quality or performance ( or something in-between ) for your current project, our solution is very flexible but it does require an amount of fine-tuning. I would also suggest that you look into our wiki manual for AO in order to get additional information regarding what each setting does.

bonzaiferroni likes this.
  4. josterday

josterday

Is there an updated demo available for Amplify AO? It looks like the link in these forums is broken and the download button on the site is grayed out.

Would love to test it against our existing solutions.

5. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, thank you for your interest!

Unfortunately we don't have any demos or trial versions for AO2 at this time, apologies for the inconvenience.

Hopefully we can provide a fully functional trial at a later stage, similarly to its predecessor and our other image effects.

6. ChinChiaYeh

ChinChiaYeh

When Terrain Draw Instanced is checked.
    AO doesn't render correctly on terrain ground.

7. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, thank you for the heads up, I'm not entirely sure if this is expected or if there's anything that can be done on our end, but I've registered the issue for the developer to investigate. Could you please also share which AO settings and Unity version you're currently using?

8. ChinChiaYeh

ChinChiaYeh

We use Unity 2018.3.10f1

9. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks, we've passed it on to the developer!

10. Uli_Okm

Uli_Okm

Hi, is there any estimate for a workaround to Unity 2019.1 LWRP?
    Maybe manually importing the github packages (LWRP and PostProcessing) in the project?
    Thanks

11. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, that depends. What specific issue are you referring to?
    We only support HD and LW SRP up to Post Processing Stack V2.

Thanks!

12. Uli_Okm

Uli_Okm

I yet didn't own Amplify Occlusion, but the alert at asset store page made me ask this question.
    I am using Post Processing from the github (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing) version 2.1.6
    with Unity 2019.1.5, using LWRP 5.16.1 and build target WebGL

I am not sure whether this is compatible with Amplify Occlusion or not, is it? (because I dont know what is the Post Processing Stack beyond version 2)

Thanks!

13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

Does PPS 2.1.6 work well with Unity 2019.1.5 when using LWRP without any modifications? If so, AO should work but be sure to let us know if that is not the case.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  14. sebas77

sebas77

"HD and Lightweight support is currently only available up to Post Processing V2. Unity 2019 introduced a hardcoded implementation that currently cannot be extended. "

I am not sure what this means. I am using Unity 2019, but also PP 2.1.7 (which is V2)

Edit: I checked the answer above, but it seems that the only way to be sure is to buy and check it. Which makes me wonder how come you don't test it yourself.

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

We would recommend using an older PP version if you run into any issues.

It basically means that we do not support the new "PP V3" which works a bit differently and is not currently too friendly for image effects such as ours.

sebas77 likes this.
  16. sebas77

sebas77

ok thanks, I am a bit confused about the PP V3 thing. Where can I read more about it? I thought it was still 2.

17. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Information is a bit scarce, I would recommend jumping onto the HD forum.

Official Unity Quote
    "There is no plan to make any improvement on PPV2. Just bugfix / maintenance.
    There is no PPV3 in itself, this is how we call the HDRP postprocess. We still use this name as opposition to PPV3 but really it is not a package and is just part of the HDRP pipeline and such can't be use at other place. We fully drop the support of PPV2 for HDRP. Motivation is better everything (better integration with PBR, better quality, better memory usage, better performance etc...). This is still in progress work. Later a dedicated version will be done for LW as well which will not be computed based and will better fit mobile. VR will be better handled for postprocess and PPV3 for LW and HD. For LW PPV2 should still be compatible (so you could chose between V2 and V3). Customization of PPV3 should come for 2019.2."

sebas77 likes this.
  18. sebas77

sebas77

thanks, that's very unfortunate. Unity should do a better job on this.

19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No problem! We will post additional details as soon as we have anything related to PP2 updates and possible PP3 support.

20. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

Can this be used for non-static geometry and lights? I'm making a screensaver type of game so frame rate is not a concern, but I don't know if the AO is recalculated every frame.

EDIT:
    I've gone ahead and purchased it anyways since there's another project I can use it on so I'll test it out myself. I've discovered though that deferred doesn't work when using linear colorspace. Is this a known limitation?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  21. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, sorry about the delayed reply, we seem to have missed the notification for some reason.

It does work for both static and dynamic.

The linear issue sounds odd, please state your Unity version and renderer used so that we can try to replicate the problem on our side.

Thanks!

22. robrab2000-aa

robrab2000-aa

Hi, I have tried to download the trail from your website: http://amplify.pt/download/# however the download link doesn't work. We are happy to pay for the full version however we want to make sure that it works first as we've tried several other solutions which have ended up being unsuitable.

Thanks

23. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Our apologies but we currently do not have a trial to share. Should you find that AO does not meet your requirements, we would be happy to refund your purchase.

Thanks!

robrab2000-aa likes this.
  24. Jess_AA

Jess_AA

Hi @Amplify_Ricardo

I've just purchased this for use with LWRP version 5.16.1, PP version 2.1.7, in Unity 2019.1.8f1. As far as I understand, I need to import one of the PostProcessingSRP packages, but they're numbered 3.0.0 and 4.3.0. Which one should I be importing for the above versions?

25. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

You would ideally use the latest one in the folder but we're actually looking into a few LWRP specific issues, you might have stumbled onto them.

We will get back to you as soon as we have any developments.

26. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I would recommend updating to the latest version available on our website; import the latest package(PostProcessingLightweightRP_5.7.2, works with the latest LWRP version).

Thanks!

27. andre-ivankio

andre-ivankio

Is there a free trial for this? I'm wondering if it gives the wide stability of multi res AO of post v2 with VR compatibility.

28. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I'm afraid not. Do you mean adaptive resolution? If so, I'm afraid we do not currently support it.

29. Migueljb

Migueljb

Does this work with unitys Post Processing v2 stack in 2018.4? Would love to replace unitys AO from the PPv2 stack sometimes its to strong or not detailed enough like this one seems to be.

30. andre-ivankio

andre-ivankio

Not multi res, my bad, I meant I was after something like the "Multi Scale Volumetric Obscurance" from post process v2. It seems to work better for large radius and big drawing distances (note better volume outline on the left and background hills on the gif bellow).

The "Scalable" option works well only at a narrow medium distance, seemingly fading in and out both near and far.

Problem is Volumetric doesn't work with "single pass" VR, only option I managed to output. Volumetric also seems to have some artifacts on the screen right and top at times.

I'm after something to work on that kind of drawing distance and that style, favor volume perception over realism (AO added to direct light too). Camera clipping planes are 0.1 - 90000. Do you know if Amplify Occlusion will work?

31. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Hi there the post effect works but in my scene the Deferred is basically not there at all, almost not working.
    It's all attached in the Zip-a video with the settings as such to help you. I am wondering if there are some per-requisites I don't know that need to be done in order to get the deferred working.
    Using 2019.2, Deferred, Linear.

Attached Files:

32. castor76

castor76

This is a good news. Do I still have to install HDRP if I only use LWRP?

33. castor76

castor76

I would like to report that turning on downsize option breaks AO. everything becomes black.. lwrp, 2019.2.1 with latest one from the website.

I have also noticed that there is "ghost trail" effect happening for the moving objects in the game.. any idea where this can come from? almost looks like ao is being updated over time... Turned on and off all kinds of blur options but it is still there.. may be is is part of this AO v2 tech?

34. castor76

castor76

Any news on lwrp and downscale issue?

35. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

He hasn't replied to our posts and it's been a while. Try contacting him directly and tell him to check the forum as he might not be getting notified because of some forum bug or he might be on holiday.

36. manuelgoellnitz

manuelgoellnitz

Hi,

We use Unity 2019.2.3 and LWRP v.6.9.1 and try to make a Oculus Rift S application using openVR in single pass rendering.

when we activate Ambient Occlusion the effect looks like this:

AO VR Bug.PNG

It seems that the ao is not mapped correctly to the VR image.

What do we need to do, to fix this?

37. castor76

castor76

I have sent message and still waiting.. it looks like support has gone silent for some reason.. it is not very likely of them.

SilverStorm likes this.
  38. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey,

Sorry for the delay, just got back to the office.
    Amplify Occlusion uses a different technique with far more options for AO control, including large radius fidelity. Not sure about your camera settings, depends on the AO setup.

Can you replicate the issue on another project?

LWRP and HD - I'm afraid so, keep an eye out for future updates.
    Downscaling - Downscale is not supported.
    Trail/Ghosting - Does adjusting the Temporal Filtering parameters not help? Please share your exact values(screenshot) for further testing on our side.

Sorry folks, away for a couple of weeks.

We're a bit shorthanded, and I was away for a few weeks, apologies for the inconvenience.

39. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Update: It is working in deferred but the effect is very feint and this effect is not ground truth. Here is a video showing the post effect having a lot of guess and jitter and it's very inaccurate with the AO appear and disappear and then the deferred is shown at the video end going on and off because it's also not ground truth, it's stable but just not accurate, those crevices should be fully covered in darkness but there's clear spots in the crevices just not covered well enough and isn't spreading to the ground in which the post effect does better.

Was there some extra update step or specific settings needed to get it working?

Attached Files:

40. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Sorry, I might be missing the point here but it seems to be working as expected. The Post-Effect mode is applied everywhere(regardless of the lighting setup) while the Deferred mode AO is less prominent in directly lit surfaces - this is the intended result. You are using a Low quality mode along with Downscale, this makes it a bit harder to examine.

Please elaborate.

41. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Many make the mistake and think AO shouldn't be affected in directly lit areas but for skylighting there will always be AO even when directly lit especially between contact points and behind objects like to objects being close together like my example.

Either way I would like to have a checkbox to allow direct light to not hide the AO if that's ok.
    Once we can get that I will test it again to see if there are any issues.

42. nindim

nindim

Hi,

Just wondering if your solution works when "AlphaToMask" is set to "On" inside surface shaders?

We want to use alpha to coverage (instead of basic alpha test) but we are seeing the AO of other objects through the Alpha To Coverage object even though the areas are fully opaque.

We are currently using Unity's PostProcessing Stack V2 AO solution but would happily switch to Amplify if this is solved!

AlphaToMask On
    upload_2019-9-13_0-50-54.png

AlphaToMask Off
    upload_2019-9-13_0-51-59.png

The shaders I am testing with are attached. The "Hidden/Internal-DepthNormalsTexture" needs to be set as the Graphics Settings Depth Normals shader so it treats the alpha in the same way as my AlphaToCoverage shader.

Thanks a lot!

Niall

Attached Files:

43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

With our GTAO implementation, you'll have to use the Post Effect mode instead of Deferred to display occlusion in those areas.

On a somewhat related subject, please note that the Debug mode displays AO using the Post Effect method.

Just to be sure, were those screenshots made using PPV2?

Seems to be working Amplify Occlusion.

44. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

@SilverStorm Apologies, I should also point out that we do not officially support Unity betas(Unity2019) so we can't guarantee that you're not experiencing additional issues.

45. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Is the lowest setting of Amplify Occlusion would be mobile friendly?

46. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Greetings!

We recommend using the Lowest Sample count possible and toggling Downsample on mobile devices. Disabling Temporal Filtering helps but results in visible artifacts; Forward and Per-pixel normals optionally.

47. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

@Amplify_Ricardo
    hello,
    does it support Vulkan on Android too or just OpenGL ES 3.x?

48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Not sure about any Vulkan related issues but it did work great with OpenGL ES 3.x.

49. sameng

sameng

Hey, love amplify occlusion. I've had great success with the 2.0 version--shipped it in my game on Switch last year, maintaining about 60fps. Great work on the GTAO version.

I'm starting a new project and unfortunately amplify occlusion seems to be broken on Nintendo Switch build
    Objects in the distance have an odd rendering issue. It turns to black and has odd lines and flickering. Default Amplify Occlusion settings. Empty scene with default plane and default cube.

IMG_0083.jpg
    I've tried:
    - Disabling all other post FX
    - Deferred mode
    - Disabling Fog

I'm on 2018.4.9 LTS.
    I tried both Amplify Occlusion 2.0.7 and 2.0.8. Same problem.

Works perfectly fine in editor.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  50. Yavvn

Yavvn

Is there any reason this package was deprecated? I purchased this recently and now it's off the asset store and says it will be available on Github for free. Very disheartening.

Dr_Evanzan and skinwalker like this.