Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE] Introducing Amplify Occlusion 2 – Ground Truth Ambient Occlusion, up to 2X faster!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Danua

Danua

Hi. Could you implement multi-scale ao? I want to combine very sharp and thin contact shadow to make asset more grounded look, medium size occlusion for stuff like windows border also add distant low frequency occlusion to trees. Big rocks and etc. I found .pdf article about multiple scale ao in web space. Maybe it help you? I'll send you doc pm later.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello! Can you share a screenshot of your camera settings?

Also, please try setting your Per Pixel Normals to Gbuffer and let us know if it affects the outcome.

Hey there, thank you for your feedback!

I'll be sure to register it for the developer to consider, in the meantime you may add two AO2 effects to act simultaneously and configure each with different parameters in order to try and achieve an effect similar to the one you're looking for.

Feel free to share the document to support@amplify.pt with a reference to this thread, thanks!

3. Gorgor

Gorgor

Camera setting below.. I also tried allow HDR and if I allow HDR the ugly white thing disappears but there are some light gray artifacts instead. They are sometimes quite noticeable and sometimes not so much but I suspect it is the same as the white monster but only in different color;)

Of course I tried all the PerPixelNormals options. I think GBuffer is default for deferred and 'Camera' switches automatically to 'GBuffer' in deferred rendering path, I think, but I am no sure. Either way I tried GBuffer now and it does not change a thing.

Thanks

camera.PNG

4. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Thank you for providing additional details!

Can you share a screenshot using the Debug Apply Method, and also another screenshot of the artifacts that come up with HDR enabled?

Have you tried replicating the issue in a new project with only AO imported, to dismiss the possibility of project settings or other assets causing it?

5. Gorgor

Gorgor

I tried a simple example scene in my current project and all screenshots are from that. The shadow monster is pretty visible there.

posteffect.PNG deferred.PNG deferredHDR.PNG debug.PNG

Next thing is that sometimes I just start to get there errors. Not sure what it starts but once they start I have to restart unity to make AO work again.

err.PNG

And lastly I tried empty project and I was getting the same white monster with no HDR but with HDR it seems to work correctly.
    Do you have any idea what may be the cause?

6. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Taking into account all the information shared so far, it seems that the issue only occurs on Single Pass without HDR and using the Apply Method Deferred.

I'll have to register the issue and escalate it to the developer, however, since we don't have a VR set available at this time for running tests on our side it might take a while for us to be able to tackle this situation. It would be extremely helpful if you could share a sample with the issue present to support@amplify.pt, so that we can debug this using the same data as you as soon as we secure access to a device, thanks!

7. Gorgor

Gorgor

Just to let anyone with same problem know, I was able to get rid of the gray monster and the errors by reimporting some of the .cginc files on AmplifyOcclusion/Resources folder.

White monster still present and it is just in the scenario SinglePassRenderingMethod + DeferredRenderingPath + DeferredApplyMethod + no HDR.

Amplify_Borba likes this.
  8. xu_xindong

xu_xindong

Did't work in LWRP when open Anti-aliasing....

9. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, could you please share more details regarding the AA technique you're using and your camera / AO setup?

If you're using TAA, you might have to disable Temporal on AO and have it loaded first as a component.

10. unity_dev3194

unity_dev3194

Hi, what's the current eta for Single-pass Instanced support?

11. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hi, we don't have an ETA to offer at this time, apologies for the inconvenience.

unity_dev3194 likes this.
  12. jacobselg

jacobselg

Hi, I'm having issues getting the package to work with LWRP at all. Here are the packages we are currently running (Unity 2018.3.5f1):
    packages.PNG

When importing the package through asset store I first get the following error:
    ImportError.PNG

Adding the correct import path in the shader resolves the error but running the example after that shows no signs of occlusion:
    scene.PNG

Following the instructions in the readme for SRP, I tried importing the PostProcessingSRP_XXX.unitypackage file but this time I get another error:
    ImportPackage.PNG

Which I guess tells me the SRP way is not meant for LWRP? Is there anything I could do to resolve these issues or what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
    /Jacob

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  13. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, we're still working on improvements regarding LW and HD support on AO2, which is also why we haven't listed SRP support in the product page yet as there are still a few issues to iron out.

We'll be sure to announce here as soon as we have any new developments to share regarding this, apologies for the inconvenience.

14. jacobselg

jacobselg

Ok thanks for clarifying. You should look over your release specification as both LW and HD SRP are listed as supported and could possibly confuse buyers.

support.PNG

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  15. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Apologies for that and thank you for letting us know, we'll look into it and see if it can be changed to prevent further confusion.

16. xu_xindong

xu_xindong

I just opened MSAA in SRPSetting for 4x,and attached a post process layer in mainCamera, a post process volume with profile set to isGlobal set to true.

It's works well,when i disable MSAA. I'm using LWRP 4.6 preview in project

17. Mikekan13

Mikekan13

Would it be possible to make a minimum distance on the AO? Working with this in VR I have some ghosting on objects that are very close to the camera. Or perhaps something I could add to a shader to make Amplify Occlusion ignore that material?

Gekigengar likes this.
  18. xu_xindong

xu_xindong

I found it's right in the editor scene view but not in game view...

19. robdeja

robdeja

Would Amplify Occlusion work with an orthographic camera?

I think that most occlusion assets require the depth pass which doesn't seem to be available for an orthographic camera - is that true for this asset too?

20. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, unfortunately it's not possible to do masking as the effect is distance based, apologies for that.

Setting a minimum distance is tricky, as you'll have to play with the settings a bit by setting the Intesity to 0 and the Fade to Intensity to 1, and then tweak the Fade Start and Length parameters.

The ghosting is expected when using the Temporal Filter, lowering the radius and adjusting its settings will help reduce this. Lowering Filter Blending and increasing Filter Response should help!

Hey there, we do not recommend using MSAA with AO in LW RP, as noted on the Readme.txt included in the package.

Hello, although AO2 works with both Perspective and Orthographic cameras, we don't recommend it for Orthographic use due to the way that depth is handled in that mode, making it impossible to achieve a 1:1 visual look between both types of cameras.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  21. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Greetings,

We've decided to focus our resources exclusively on the official Unity forum! We're disabling our own hosted forums but the old posts will remain available for future reference.

Due to popular demand, we’ve also created an official Discord Channel. Here you’ll be able to interact with other Amplify Users, discuss our products, share feedback and your work. This is a new experience for us so we ask that you be patient and provide feedback on what you think we could improve.

Official Discord channel - Join us today!

22. Meltdown

Meltdown

Hello,

When I run Amplify Occlusion in WebGL, I get a very 'white' screen with little detail.
    Is there any known fix/workaround for getting it working in WebGL?

Thanks

23. Meltdown

Meltdown

I also get these errors in the editor when in WebGL.

ArgumentException: colors.Length is 2 and exceeds the maximum number of supported render targets (1)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer.SetRenderTarget (UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderTargetIdentifier[] colors, RenderTargetIdentifier depth) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderingCommandBuffer.bindings.cs:477)
    AmplifyOcclusionBase.commandBuffer_FillApplyPostEffect (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cb) (at Assets/AmplifyOcclusion/Plugins/AmplifyOcclusionBase.cs:1135)
    AmplifyOcclusionBase.OnPreRender () (at Assets/AmplifyOcclusion/Plugins/AmplifyOcclusionBase.cs:678)

24. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, this is a known issue that's being investigated, which should subside if you disable the Temporal Filter.

You may still choose to ignore the error and build the project with Temporal toggled on, the AO effect should work without any issues over WebGL.

If you're still having issues, please send us a sample with the issue present to support@amplify.pt for us to debug on our end, together with further information such as browsers tested and their respective versions, thank you!

25. departement

departement

Hi,

What are the news about SRP support (LWRP in my case) ?
    I just bought the asset thinking it supports LWRP (as mentioned in the release note), but it does not seem to be the case.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  26. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, the SRP support is currently available for Unity 2018.3 and SRP 4.10, our developer is still looking into some issues related to the new Unity 2019 and the latest SRP versions.

Feel free to refer to the Readme.txt file in the root folder of AmplifyOcclusion, which includes the instructions for setting it up in the either SRP through the Post Processing Stack. Please note that, for now, you'll need both SRP packages installed.

27. Meltdown

Meltdown

Okay, I'm disappointed with this asset claiming 'Supported platforms : all platforms'.

WebGL
    I get a random white/grey shaded screen with the AO plugin (like its showing the debug AO screen showing the shading)
    This is on the latest Chrome browser, which you think would have been tested.

Android
    I get weird horizontal black bands on the Android device, with the bottom 8th of the screen nearly completely black.
    Bloom shader doesn't work at all on Android.
    As with WebGL, I get a random white/grey shaded screen with the AO plugin sometimes.
    This is on a Galaxy S10.

I'm using Unity 2018.3.13f, and my scene uses the Standard Shader.

I've tried disabling the Temporal filter as you mention above, no difference.

Instead of me having to get together a sample project to reproduce this, I'm sure you could easily replicate it your end on these platforms, there is nothing out of the ordinary with my scenes, they use the Standard Shader.

If you can't reproduce any of this your end, let me know and I'll put together a repro project.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  28. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, regarding your first statement, I believe that's not claimed anywhere, at least not by us, could you please let us know where did you see this information?

To be perfectly clear, only Desktops(builds), VR, Mobile, Xbox One, PS4, and Switch are fully supported.

In any case, WebGL still seems to work according to our tests, but we don't advertise this as we can't guarantee it works for all browsers / setups.

Here's a test I've just ran on Chrome ( Version 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit) ) using the sample scene:

On Android, you'll need to disable Cache Aware and set your Per Pixel Normals to either Camera or G Buffer, the following screenshot was taken in an Android 9 device ( Mi A1 ) running the sample scene:

Let me know if this information helps, I'll be happy to look into a sample should you still have any issues.

Meltdown likes this.
  29. Meltdown

Meltdown

Hi, this is mentioned in your readme.txt in the root folder of your asset...

upload_2019-5-8_9-48-33.png

Anyway, I tried those AO settings on Android, and they worked great! Thanks.

In regards to Bloom working on Android, any ideas?
    It just doesn't work at all, is there some setting I can tweak? I have changed from Auto Graphics API to OpenGL ES3.0.

As for the WebGL, I'll try and setup a repro project. I'm wondering if the fact I'm changing shaders at runtime, (from Mobile/Diffuse to Standard), and then enabling the AO script would be the cause of any issues.

30. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

About the "All platforms supported", that's actually incorrect legacy text from Amplify Occlusion 1.x. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, we've changed it everywhere except there.

Amplify_Borba will get back to your questions tomorrow.

Thanks!

hopeful likes this.
  31. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Apologies for missing out on the Bloom question!

Bloom seems to be working as well on a new project with default project settings, using the sample scene with its default settings as well and the same device mentioned in my last post:

For reference, this is in Unity 2018.3.14f1 and Amplify Bloom 1.2.0.001 from our website.

Can you confirm that it does not work for you in a new project with just Amplify Bloom imported?

32. LividTheDream

LividTheDream

Hi, I've got some objects in the scene using custom CG shaders that modify the positions of vertices (e.g. to make a flag wave), but I find with the Amplify Occlusion enabled a dark shadowy artifact appears at the original vertex positions ( this doesn't seem to occur with the unity post processing stack ambient occlusion )

Is there something I should do in my shaders to prevent that artifact from appearing?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  33. departement

departement

Do you have an idea (even approx.) of when the issues related to Unity 2019 and the latest SRP will be solved?

Thank you.

34. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

Also just purchased Amplify Occlusion only to realize it's doesn't support 2019 yet, any ETA on this?

Bye,

Jean

35. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, an update will be available ASAP.

Are you seeing the "Assets\AmplifyOcclusion\Plugins\AmplifyOcclusionBase.cs(600,63): error CS0619: 'SceneView.m_SceneLighting' is obsolete: 'm_SceneLighting has been deprecated. Use sceneLighting instead (UnityUpgradable) -> UnityEditor.SceneView.sceneLighting'" error or something else?

We've actually already correct that specific problem.

Thanks!

36. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

Excellent news!

I corrected that already, it's more the SRP post processing package that is problematic.

bye,

Jean

37. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Great!

Do you mean the integrated HDRP variant or the latest PP2?

Thanks!

38. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

Not sure :) ( newbie to this LW/HD/scriptable render pipeline thingy...) when I import the SRP package, I get a lot of errors.

my problem is that the AmplifyOcclusionEffect component you put on the camera doesn't work well on mobile ( weird visual aterfacts, that is not appearing in editor or in OsX builds), so I am trying to switch to the LW render pipeline and mix it up with your readme file content.

so I am not sure where I am heading right now, I m ready to experiment on this, so feel free to point me in the right direction if I am in the wrong spot already... :)

Bye,

Jean

39. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, in order for the effect to work well on mobile you need to use the settings I've shared a few posts above.

Regarding the SRP, we've added support back in its v4.3.0 for Unity 2018, we're still looking into the possibilities regarding 2019 and the new SRP, since it seems that Unity's changing quite a few things on their side.

40. LividTheDream

LividTheDream

Hi,

I just bought this asset and I'm finding I get artifacts appearing on objects in the scene using a custom shader (this is with Unity 2017 ).

My shader modifies vertex positions to create a wavy effect, but the artifact I get appears to darken the area where the object would be rendered without the shader. I don't get the same arftifact when I use the ambient occlusion in the post processing profile so I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong here.

Is there something I should do in my shaders to prevent that artifact from appearing?

Thanks

41. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there! Can you share more information regarding your Camera and AO settings?
    If you're in Forward please try setting your Per Pixel Normals to None.

42. LividTheDream

LividTheDream

Thanks. I have cameras in both forward and deferred ( in different situations). That fixed it in forward, but when using a deferred camera the artifact persists and changing the setting
    Here are my settings ( changing apply method or per pixel normals makes no difference in deferred )
    Amplify occlusion settings.png

And this is the artifact I get, where the grey plane is the artifact that appears:
    Annotation 2019-05-15 095224.png

I have found that setting the render queue of the flag here to transparent appears to remove the artifact in deferred, so I have a workaround in some cases, but not sure if there is a better solution!

43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

The Madness Sale is almost over but did you know you can get 10% OFF your entire purchase when you spend $50 or more? Use promo code MAYSALE10PERCENT during checkout!

Check out our deals at 50% OFF - Asset Store Page

44. Kubic75

Kubic75

Just bought Amplify Occlusion and wanted to integrate into existing 2019.1.1f1 LWRP-Project:

So I made a new empty project in Unity2018.3.0 and added LWRP 4.3.
    Imported AmplifyOcclusion.
    Imported Amplifys PostProcessingSRP_4.3.0.package:

Any help is very welcomed, thanks!

PS:
    Please correct the AssetStore Releases-Section where you say you "Added support for LW and HD SRP" because this lead my to buy this product.
    You get a One-Star-Review that I will update as soon as this product works.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  45. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello there,

Apologies for the inconvenience but there's absolutely no need to rush into the review section before contacting us, we're here to help and available for direct communication via our Discord channel. If you're experiencing problems we can work them out, we appreciate the heads-up but there's a support queue that we must follow in order to best serve all our users; posting it on the review section will not accelerate this process.

1. We only support HD and LW SRP up to Post Processing Stack V2. The current 2019 stack is hardcoded into HDRP/LW and currently does not allow for extensions. We're looking into an alternative but it seems that this Unity version will require a specific Amplify Occlusion implementation.

This applies to all image effects developed for PP2, not just ours.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-new-post-processing-extending.624166/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-new-post-processing-extending.624166/#post-4229698

We can refund your purchase if you prefer not to wait for an update.

2. SRP is still a bit temperamental, I would recommend updating to the latest version permitted by Unity 2018.x. That specific error is in regards to a missing step; you will have to also import the HD package even though you're just using LW.

However, I'm experiencing issues with the Lightweight SRP, while HD seems to work as expected. I ask that you wait a while so that we can run a few tests on our side in order to determine the cause of the problem.

Let us know how you wish to proceed.

Thanks!

46. Kubic75

Kubic75

Ricardo, thanks for investigating.
    I would like to have a list of steps to follow to get a working result (similar to the one you already deliver).
    This list should provide exact information about what specific Unity-Version, SRP-Version, Postprocessing-Version to use. When importing the HDRP package solves the problem for LWRP, fine, but we need this info.

(After all I understand that it´s a very challenging task to have a plugin working with current Unityversions,
    but still it´s annoying when you buy a product and it doesn´t work as described.)

47. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No problem. Apologies, this information is partially available in the Readme file but we did fail to mention the HD and LW package requirement, we'll correct that immediately.

Note that HD and Lightweight is not yet advertised as an official feature, nor is it included in the store description, it was only listed in our release notes. There's a difference here, perhaps we should have made it clearer, that's on us.

In any case, supporting the latest Unity version is not a problem as it only takes a couple of days to get up to speed. What is a real issue here, and not just for us, is supporting HD and Lighweight which continues to evolve and change on Unity's side in a manner that is completely out of our control. The fact that you now have a closed Post Processing HD and Lightweight Stack on Unity 2019 makes things a bit more challenging for anyone that created PP effects.

I can confirm that everything is working now, we made a few adjustments and will have a new version up asap.

Thanks!

Kubic75 likes this.
  48. Kubic75

Kubic75

Thanks Ricardo

49. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No problem, we'll let you know as soon as it's available.

Thanks!

50. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

"We only support HD and LW SRP up to Post Processing Stack V2."

Hi, should it work fine without post processing stack? I've always had great results with amplify occlusion but in 2019 it doesn't seem to look so good. I've got amplify colour and bloom as well, is it better just to use the amplify products then to get the best results? I personally don't like the post processing compared to amplify products anyway.