Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE] Introducing Amplify Occlusion 2 – Ground Truth Ambient Occlusion, up to 2X faster!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify Occlusion 2.0, now FREE via GitHub and Asset Store,
    sets out to deliver a new industry standard for fast, high-quality Screen Space Ambient Occlusion in Unity. This FREE UPDATE completely discontinues HBAO-based techniques in favor of the much superior Ground Truth Ambient Occlusion (GTAO), bringing quality and accuracy closer to traditional raytracing.

It's a lightweight solution for consoles, mobile devices, desktops, and even VR, higher-quality and more accurate than standard SSAO techniques. When compared to other solutions, it offers superior performance scaling, even when combining high resolution and large sampling radius. When we said that you wouldn't need to purchase another AO solution any time soon, we meant it.​

One of the best SSAO Tools on the Asset Store just got a whole lot better!
    • Dramatically Higher-Quality and Performance Boost​
    • Up to 2X faster than Amplify Occlusion 1.0​
    • HBAO+ discontinued in favor of GTAO​
    • Superior Fidelity and Flexibility​
    • VR Support, Multi and Single-Pass​
    • Console Friendly​
    Standard occlusion does not account for directly lit surfaces resulting in abnormal occlusion on bright areas. Our solution offers an optional Deferred-path application method that injects SSAO before the direct lighting stage in order to deliver natural and PBR-accurate results. Compared to other solutions, it offers massive quality improvements to occlusion on distant surfaces, even when using a large kernel radius, due to superior and artifact-free occlusion approximation.

Features
    • Ground Truth Ambient Occlusion​
    • PS4, Xbox One and Switch compatible​
    • Single and Multi-pass VR support​
    • Up to 2X faster than Amplify Occlusion 1.0​
    • Revamped Spatial and Temporal Filters​
    • Dramatically Higher-Quality​
    • Higher Flexibility​
    • Under 1 ms on a mid-range GPU at Full HD​
    • Accurate and fast-performing​
    • Deferred and Forward Rendering​
    • PBR compatible injection mode​
    • Superior occlusion approximation​
    • Extensive blur and intensity controls​
    Requires
    • A desire for better AO
    • Unity 5.3+
    • GL ES 3.0+ or Metal (mobile devices)
    Notes
    • Provided "as is", be sure to join the GitHub project
    • HD and Lightweight support only available up to Post Processing V2.
    • Built-in renderer supported without PPS.
    • VR usage may display view differences or SRP Ghosting

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Gamemakers3D, valarnur, punk and 3 others like this.
  2. montyfi

montyfi

Does it work with speedtree in forward?

3. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for your interest, we really appreciate it. AO works in forward, regarding the Speedtree shaders specifically, you might run into some issues due to the way they handle depth, be sure to use cutout if that is the case. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do on our side, let us know if you have any additional questions or if you run into any problems.

Thanks!

4. ZJP

ZJP

Another great tool from Amplify. Thanks guys.. :cool:

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  5. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Happy to know you liked it ;)

6. cfantauzzo

cfantauzzo

Another one? My poor wallet. You're doing great work.

7. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks, we really appreciate it!

8. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

ZJP, zyzyx and nxrighthere like this.
  9. Rumbleboxer

Rumbleboxer

Hi guys.. long time buyer of your creations.. this might sound really silly but can this plugin work for mobile? If so, is there a way to set it optimally for that platform?

10. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Looks great and on sale! How does this compare to Unity's Cinematic Image Effects, Ambient Occlusion though?

11. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I've just bought it, I'm a big fan of their products. I have an old scene which uses the Cinematic SSAO from Unity so I'll update that with Amplify's version and post the differences here. Although I expect the biggest difference will be from performance.

12. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello! Happy to hear it, thank you for your support. Yes, it works on mobile devices but it might be a bit performance intensive on older hardware. We recommend using the Post-Effect Apply Method, the lowest Sample Count possible, and using the lowest possible number of Blur Passes.

Thanks!

13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks! From our tests Amplify Occlusion is more flexible, stable and faster. We definitely recommend checking it out, the trial version is fully functional. Let us know if you find it lacking or under-performing compared to the available alternatives or in specific cases, we will do our best to take it one step further.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  14. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks, very happy to know that you enjoy our products. The performance and flexibility differences should be immediately apparent, try tweaking the radius, exponent, bias and blur parameters for added control. Thank you for taking the time to test its performance, we will be posting a few comparisons of our own as soon as the latest update is available in the Unity Asset Store.

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify Occlusion sets out to offer a highly robust and efficient way to simulate ambient occlusion and contact shadowing by combining leading techniques in a all-in-one package. It’s fast-performing, future proof, and can be yours for only $15 in the next 24 hours. Get it today!

Amplify Occlusion - Asset Store Page
    Fully Functional Trial Version - Download

What does Firewatch, p.a.m.e.l.a., Manifold Garden, Rust, The Forest, Night In The Woods, Broforce and Star Wars Journeys Ep 1 – to name a few – have in common? Check out our full suite of Amplify Unity Products and find out what they can do for your project.

16. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Here are some comparisons I've made. Basically the scene doesn't use shadows at all, because there are too many bushes and trees which caused too much of a performance impact. The obvious difference between Unity's SSAO and Amplify's is that Amplify has made the areas under the rocks and at the base of the trees much darker, it appears to be more selective and has given the scene more overall contrast. Whereas Unity's SSAO seems to apply the effect pretty much everywhere with the same amount, including under the grass. This is also using pretty much the default settings of Amplify, and what I've noticed with their other products is that over time you get vastly superior results just by having experimented with the settings. It's also worth noting that, like their Bloom product, you get far more settings with Amplify (including a tint) which allows for ample tweaking. Overall, very pleased with this package.

Attached Files:

17. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Thanks for this!

jonfinlay likes this.
  18. Karearea

Karearea

Have been using Amplify Motion and Amplify Colour for a while.

Saw this on sale, had a look at the trial package.

Replaced current SSAO with trial. Tried out the deferred injection mode. Fixes a whole lot of issues I had with earlier SSAO (with Ceto in opaque mode), runs fast, looks superb.

PURCHASE PURCHASE PURCHASE!

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Awesome! Really happy to know it helped improve the Occlusion quality in your project. Thank you for using it!

20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

PromotionSlider_3.jpg
    Thank you all for the great response, we couldn't be happier. You can still pickup Amplify Occlusion at a reduced price in the next 30 minutes, we look forward to having you on board.

Thanks!

21. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I picked it up. Great product! What else do you have in the works?

jonfinlay likes this.
  22. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks, we really appreciate it. We are currently working on Amplify Texture 2, a powerful editor extension that enables the use of massive amounts of textures, quite literally up to hundreds of gigabytes, without worrying about streaming or GPU video memory limits. In addition to that we have a few other surprises coming to the Asset Store very soon, stay tuned ;)

punk likes this.
  23. martire

martire

Hi!

Amplify is just amazing! I really loved the occlusion :)
    Can I ask you a question, please? Is there a way to enable amplify only in Fantastic setting? (sorry I'm not a programmer... I 'don't know if it is a dum question)

Thanks!

24. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thanks, we really appreciate it. You will have to use a custom script for that, feel free to use the script attached to this post in your work.

Quality Control - Camera Script
    1. Add the script to your camera.
    2. Set the number of Components you would like to control.
    3. Drag and Drop the Components you want enable in Fantastic.
    4. Set the minimum Quality Level, in this case 5.

The quality levels are indexed, top to bottom.

The script will automatically disable any added components on lower quality levels. Let us know if you run into any issues, thanks!

Attached Files:

one_one likes this.
  25. martire

martire

That was incredible!
    It worked brilliantly :D
    Thank you very very much!

26. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No problem, happy to help ;)

27. Korindian

Korindian

Hi, out of all the AO solutions I've bought and tried out so far, I like Amplify Occlusion the best. Well done!

I'll be leaving a review soon to explain why, but I have a couple of questions first.

1. Since there are no distance settings or options (not that I need them), is AO applied to all objects up to infinite distance? Some of the other solutions cap it at a certain distance with falloff, but since my game scale is rather large, I then lose AO on large distant objects.

2. This is a rather weird issue, but using 5.4 beta 22, if the Game view is active (as opposed to the Scene view), and I save the scene, the objects in the Game view get chunks of AO applied everywhere which kind of looks like splattered dirt. Unchecking and checking the Amplify Occlusion component gets rid of it.
    Edit: Happens on other scenes, whether or not Game view is the active view, with crisscrossing lines across the whole Game view. Again, unchecking and checking Amplify Occlusion clears it. This only happens when using Linear color space. The problem doesn't exist if I switch to Gamma, or if I press play.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  28. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for your purchase, we really appreciate it.

1. The distance is currently constrained to the camera far-near clip values, we plan to offer additional options in our next update. Is it working well for you on large scale scenes? Supporting massive scenes without depth related issues was one of our main focuses during development.

2. Thank you for reporting the issue, we don't support Beta versions but we will look into it as soon as possible. Thanks for the heads up!

29. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

I have been trying to get in touch via PM but the forum refuses too cooperate, hopefully it will go back to normal soon. Regarding your second point; pressing play or toggling the component will update the game view. Unfortunately, due to the way that Unity operates, there isn't much we can do to avoid this issue. We will let you know if we find a workaround.

Thanks!

Korindian likes this.
  30. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Morild Interaktiv, in cooperation with Rolls-Royce Marine, developed a highly-realistic and flexible next-generation ship simulator system. Amplified both by our Color Grading and Ambient Occlusion solution, it’s a great example of what can be achieved with Unity3d. You too can take advantage of our Image Effects, push the visual quality of your projects to the next level with simple drag-and-drop solutions.

Is your simulation too texture-data intensive?
    Check out our Virtual Texturing technology for Unity 3d and learn what it can do for your project.

Amplify Occlusion - Unity Asset Store
    Amplify LUT Pack - Unity Asset Store
    Amplify Color - Unity Asset Store

jonfinlay likes this.
  31. Korindian

Korindian

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had a chance to test it out thoroughly with multiple cameras yet, but do you know if the AO will work across 2 cameras with different clip planes? For example, I have a background camera set to -2 depth, with clip planes of 3000 to 10,000, and a closeup camera with depth -1 with clip planes of 1 to 3,000, with the script on the closeup camera.

32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Yes, we tested that setup before and it worked great. Be sure to let us know if you run into any problems, we would be happy to help.

Thanks!

Korindian likes this.
  33. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

This shots didn't make the post yesterday, but they look awesome! Click here to learn more about Morild Interaktive simulation work.

ZJP and Emre_U like this.
  34. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Looking for a different type of game? Try the new award winning narrative-based adventure game Bohemian Killing, by The Moonwalls. A non-linear first person courtroom drama set in the streets of 19th century steampunk Paris. You find yourself on trial, accused of a brutal murder How far will you go to exonerate yourself? The Moonwalls makes great use of Amplify Color and Amplify Occlusion, carefully tweaked, they help ground the luminous ambiance while still maintaining a consistent stylized look.

Full Post - Amplify Creations Blog
    Amplify Color - Product Page
    Amplify Occlusion - Product Page
    Fully functional watermarked trial versions available!

35. mcmorry

mcmorry

I tested AO and I have an issue with the results on far objects.

I use only custom shaders that simulate the fog in a very specific way and because AO is missing any settings for the distance cutoff, it ends up drawing hard black shadows in the white fog.
    In case there is a way to tell to AO where is the fog in custom shaders, please let me know. Otherwise would be nice if you could implement the distance cutoff.

Also another issue I have, is that I can't increase the intensity to more than 1.
    The general shadowing is too light. Increasing the Power Exponent makes it darker but also sharper, and increasing the radius I lose the shapes. I'd like to keep the same smoothness and shape, but just a bit darker.

36. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

We would gladly examine your shader, be sure to send it over to support@amplify.pt. You will be happy to know that the upcoming Amplify Occlusion version, soon available in the Asset Store, includes Radius and Intensity distance-based fade control. Check you PM Inbox.

Are you using the Deferred or Post-Effect method?

Thanks!

37. mcmorry

mcmorry

Great news. And thank you for the last build.
    I'm developing for iOS metal only and unfortunately I have to stay with Post-Effect method.

38. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

No problem, happy to help. The Post-Effect method should be more noticeable, is the effect the same when using a standard Unity shader?

Thanks!

39. justtime

justtime

Hello! I have a bug, which appears after playing a while (1.1)

40. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch, we would be happy to help. Can you elaborate a bit more on your current camera and shader use? Is the problem also present using a standard Unity Shader? Any additional information would be most welcome.

-Unity version
    -Amplify Occlusion version
    -Target Platform

Looking forward to your reply.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  41. justtime

justtime

it's can happen in editor too.
    Standart shader(for geometry, UBER for player), Deferred Linear
    Unity 5.4.2p2
    Amplify 1.1.0
    PC
    Here the camera effects stack

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for the additional information, we really appreciate it. We are not entirely sure what could be causing the issue. Would it be possible to test that asset, or another example with the same issue, on our side? We are available via email at support@amplify.pt. Does adjusting the Near and Far clip values of your main camera have any effect on the corrupted occlusion effect?

Thanks!

43. shamsfk

shamsfk

44. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for reporting the issue, we really appreciate it. Hopefully, it's something that can be corrected quickly. We could really use some additional information in order to debug the problem.

-Unity and Amplify Occlusion version used
    -Graphics API used
    -AO values (screenshot)
    -List of other image effects, if any (screenshot)

Thanks!

45. shamsfk

shamsfk

46. shamsfk

shamsfk

Note that I tried to change clipping planes on camera, and different params on shader nothing seems to help.

While without downsampling it works fine! But just not fast enough.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  47. shamsfk

shamsfk

And one more question. When and if it is fixed can you add downsampling value variable (like on standard AO)? So that we could fine tune performance?

48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks!

Before we can test it on our side, we need to know what's the current Graphics API on iOS.

I will add it to our user requests.

Is the problem also present without the Cache Aware option?

Looking forward to your reply.

49. shamsfk

shamsfk

Yes cache aware has no effect on this bug

50. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for letting us know.