Search Unity

New "integrated" Game Engine for Maya !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeffmaliboe, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Jeffmaliboe

Jeffmaliboe

2. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I like how its consoles! I would like to test it.

3. chaoticheartld

chaoticheartld

I find it a bit suspect that you just made an account TODAY just to post ONE THING... and that happens to basically be an advertisement for a different engine.

I, like most here, will probably take a look at this all on our own... but such blatantly low advertising tactics never sit well with me. Kind of sours whatever Maya has to offer before I even have a chance to truly see what they have.

4. cannon

cannon

It seems to have grown out of a PSP engine/toolset that they're porting to the PS3 and XBOX 360.

Also, you'll really need Maya to work with it, so it's not for hobbyists.

5. mortalhuman

mortalhuman

Looks like blender people should have not slacked off on their game engine.

6. Discord

Discord

For a free application you have to cut them some slack. And last time I checked Maya is still a bit expensive for a lot of hobbyists so this is great but unfortunately out of the price range of quite a few users here on the forum.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

99% of users here, I expect, given the console-only nature of this engine.

--Eric

8. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

The same thing I thought when you posted it on the DXStudio forums, which was itself the same thing I thought when you posted it on the CGPersia forums, which was also the same thing I thought when you posted it on the 3DBuzz forums, and very much the same thing I thought when you posted it on the EpicGames forum (where you used your other name, JasonAmstrad).

I thought it looked a lot like spam, which always puts me right off of anything.

9. mortalhuman

mortalhuman

Oh, certainly, I totally agree. I just think they shoulda gave it a lot more attention than it gets these days with unity, and now maya is an actual in-editor engine etc.

10. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Let the Maya BuzzBot Spam resume! Couldn't care less, personally. If I can get licensed with Nintendo, I can release for Wii on here, the iPhone is also accessible, XBOX 360 isn't that hard to develop for already, etc... I don't see a purpose for another engine when there are quality engines and architectures that can already release for all the systems I'm interested in.

Of course, I may just be grumpy because I hate Spam Bots.

11. jtbentley

jtbentley

Maya's about $35,000 cheaper than it used to be... They practically give it away when you're part of the Autodesk subcription :)

.. In fact they do.. We had 4 or 5 Max licenses, and they gave us an unlimited license of Maya to 'try out' (ie, please buy as many maya copies as you have Max, so you can continue to be our bitch).

Since as we all know, you can't actually do anything with only one license of anything. It's all a scam.

12. n0mad

n0mad

Maya is like 3DS : a mess.

(tried Maya, 3DS, Lightwave, Blender, XSI, and Cinema 4D, all for more than 4 monthes. Can't find better for gamemaking than C4D)

13. KaelisAsur

KaelisAsur

Funny, my opinion is exactly the opposite of yours... only i dont state it as 'fact'.

14. n0mad

n0mad

Never did I state this opinion as a universal fact ...

Why are you more understanding my post as a fact than every other user opinion on Maya in this thread ?

Although : Everyone's personal experience is a fact ... for himself.

15. Vimalakirti

Vimalakirti

The inevitable descent into squabbling has begun...

16. n0mad

n0mad

Heh, at least the discussion is not about Mac versus PC usage yet :p

(somebody told me Maya was better on Mac than on PC)

(oops, I did it again)

17. RHD

RHD

Maya in the UK is £3200 plus VAT @17.5% per seat. I don't see any pricing quoted for Ready At Dawn but if Autodesk are involved it's not going to be cheap.

The support page has no documentation at all but: " - Dedicated support team and dedicated support engineer for each licensee. Every Ready At Dawn Engine support engineer is assigned a small number of licensees that he or she supports exclusively."

Don't see this development affecting Unities market particularly with the restricted platforms and the sort of prices they are likely to be charging for this.

18. Dids

Dids

Hey guys,

Didier Malenfant here. I'm one of the founders of Ready At Dawn Studios and also the person in charge of the engine licensing effort at the company.

Just wanted to drop a line and make sure you guys know that we had nothing to do with the original poster's message. This is not the kind of tactics we would use and as people rightfully pointed out, Unity and our tech are good at very different things and target very different groups of people anyway.

Thanks!
    -D