Search Unity

Feedback New Installer ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Tom163, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Tom163

Tom163

Who had the utterly braindead idea to break the install process?

The Hub still doesn't work properly on macOS systems when your user isn't an administrator.
    The old installer worked.
    The new installer apparently needs to install every tiny thing as a component, which needs a separate download and a seperate installer run with dozens of totally unnecessary clicks, entering admin passwords etc.

why?

Someone lost a bet or what's going on?

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  2. Tom163

Tom163

Frankly, the hub is a total disaster IMHO. It all the time annoys with "wants to install" popups, then it doesn't install anything. Neither does installing an editor version work, and it can't even update itself. I have no idea how this mess passed QA, and I have no idea how these bug reports were ignored for YEARS.

I didn't much care because I could always go to the download archives and get the old installer from there and that worked. Now they took that away and only yet another mess is left. That one at least works, but it's a hassle.

3. Tom163

Tom163

Oh yes, and from the "small details that matter" category: The old installer remembered which components were installed. The Hub doesn't. So every update is now an opportunity to mess up your build process by, say, installing IL2CPP instead of Mono or the other way around.

Seriously, Unity. Can you stop breaking things that were working? Can you stop replacing things that work with newfangled shiny things that don't work?

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  4. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

I have not observed any of this on my Mac.

It sounds like you've managed to install the Hub as the root user, meaning that you need to give your admin password to change anything? Not really sure, though.

5. Tom163

Tom163

No, I'm running everything as a non-root, non-admin user and only activate admin permissions when needed.

It does seem, however, that the latest Hub version has finally fixed these issues. After just a few years, I have successfully managed to update Unity through the Hub. Nice!