Search Unity

Bug New Input system listens for click event on whole document instead of canvas

Discussion in 'Web' started by louis_unity511, Apr 18, 2023.

1. louis_unity511

louis_unity511

Cross-posting from this thread in the Input System forum https://forum.unity.com/threads/web...re-click-event-listener.1364205/#post-8951610

We've previously filed this bug report https://unity3d.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/2/IN-23815, but it was closed since our intern finished their term and wasn't responding to the request for a reproduction.

----

We're trying to migrate from the old UnityEngine.Input system to the new input system and we're having some issues with click detection on WebGL. Our web application runs Unity WebGL in an HTML canvas with additional HTML elements on top of the Unity canvas.

In the old input system, we used Input.GetMouseDown(0) to check if the user is left clicking. The great thing about this approach is that it automatically accounts for the other HTML elements (the ones on top of the Unity canvas). If the user clicks on an HTML element that is not the canvas, Unity would not detect this as a left click. Input.GetMouseDown(0) would only return true if the user clicked on the canvas itself; not on any other element.

For the new input system, we set up an action that is listening to Left Button [Mouse] with a Button action type. Then, in the code we check if the user is left clicking using _input.Player.LeftClick.performed += ... and performing logic whenever that event fires. The problem is that this event fires regardless if the user clicks on the Unity canvas or not. If the user is clicking on an HTML element that is on top of the Unity canvas, the input system will still detect it as a click. This does not match the behaviour of the old input system.

We looked further into the generated WASM to try and figure out what exactly is going on. It looks like the registration function used by Unity for mouse click input is `emscripten_set_mousedown_callback_on_thread`. It seems like it's using a `target` parameter of `2`, which looks like it stands for `document` (screenshot attached).

If instead we substitute that above for $WebGL_UnityCanvasSelector__, this fixes our issue. In other words, it seems feasible to add some configuration to let us choose whether or not we want to register clicks on a `document` level or on a `canvas` level.

Would it be possible to add this configuration to the input system? The hack above isn't feasible for production and there's no good workarounds.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

This is a pretty weird one because we definitely have our mousedown callback registered to the canvas, not the document! I'll keep an eye out for a bug report to see what might be happening in your case. But I'm certain we should not be triggering a mousdown callback outside of the canvas.

3. schwab16

schwab16

I'm having the same behavior as well. Click events with the new input system are triggered on any HTML element, vs the old input system which was just the canvas.

4. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

Huh, that's concerning, we've fixed many input system bugs in the last couple of years, I wonder if this is one of them.
    1. What Unity version are you on? @louis_unity511 and @schwab16?
    2. @louis_unity511 Was another bug report opened with this issue? can you link me with one?

if not, can anyone share a bug repro project that I can quickly use to test this?

5. schwab16

schwab16

I will share a sample repo and screen recording in a moment.

6. schwab16

schwab16

7. schwab16

schwab16

You can see once the overlay comes up the Old Input object with a click event (sphere) no longer triggers. However the new input system still sporadically is firing click events.

8. schwab16

schwab16

9. schwab16

schwab16

You can run the build from the WebClient folder, just npm install -> npm start

10. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

@schwab16 thank you! I'm going to test it now. could you tell me what version of Unity you built it with originally?

louis_unity511 likes this.
  11. schwab16

schwab16

I have had issues with 2021.3.23f1 and 2021.3.19f1

12. spatialwb

spatialwb

@unityruba Have you been able to take a look at this yet?

13. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

Hi, sorry, I was out for a while.

I did take a look and am investigating it currently! I'll report back when I have something.

14. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

In the meantime though, it would *really* really really help me if someone opens a bug report that I can use. I confirm that I've seen this behavior in the project that @schwab16 shared, so I'll expedite the process with our intake team. And if people aren't getting a confirmation email after opening a bug report, I want to know so I can reach out internally and see where the process is broken.

15. CiroContns

CiroContns

Unity Legend

Same is happening to me, on a project built with 2022.2 which would otherwise work fine when built with a 2021.3 version.

I have submitted a bug report with repro: incident ID is IN-41716

unityruba likes this.
  16. DMG_GLein

DMG_GLein

So what is the current status of this? I can reproduce this too and also created a local repro switching between new and old input system. @CiroContns : Do you mean that the bug is related to the Unity version and not to the input system itself? -> I only tested one Unity Version (2022.3.7f1) and Input System 1.6.3.

17. DMG_GLein

DMG_GLein

18. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

Hi! Thanks for pinging me @DMG_GLein ! It's been a bit hectic (as you can imagine). I'm sorry for such a late reply.

The ticket that Ciro opened was closed when he said that the initial problem wasn't occurring anymore, so it never made it to our team's bugs list past the initial report. But I had looked into @schwab16 's project, it does look like it shows the problem, but if you can share yours as well, that'd be great. I'm planning on pushing for this bug to be looked into as soon as possible.

CiroContns likes this.
  19. sebastian_unity67

sebastian_unity67

I'm having a similar problem here.
    For example, in this link, you are supposed to be able to rotate the camera by dragging the mouse inside the canvas.
    However, it rotates the camera if you drag the mouse anywhere inside the iframe where the app is running.

https://app-staging-reup.macheight.com/property/1