Search Unity

Resolved New Input System .inputactions file partially corrupted?

Discussion in 'Input System' started by FlipDock, Apr 15, 2021.

1. FlipDock

FlipDock

One day I opened Unity I tried to access my control scheme to edit something via the New Input System I'd implemented a while back, and the logo showed up as:
    upload_2021-4-15_12-38-20.png
    (Possibly corrupted .inputactions file on the right: 'PlayerCon...'. Unity still recognises this as a .inputactions file but seemingly can't read it? I tried creating a new control scheme - 'NewCont...' to the left - after this issue and that works fine.)

When I try to open the file to edit my control scheme, windows asks how I want to open the file (trying to open with Unity or other programs doesn't work), and I have have these errors in the Console:
    upload_2021-4-15_12-42-38.png

Plus, the inspector no longer gives me options:
    upload_2021-4-15_12-40-7.png
    Clicking 'Edit asset' just adds to the Console error count in the image above, and 'Open' makes windows ask what program I want to use to open it, as mentioned above.

My project still works in editor mode and the control scheme still seems to be operational, and the generated C# script seems intact and functional. I just have no access to edit the control scheme.

Using version control via Dropbox Rewind, I went back to a prior build and the file is still corrupted so I'm not sure what the issue is. I don't want to continue coding in case any subsequent changes affect this issue in some way, and I may potentially lose more progress.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is there any fix to access the file again?

FIX:
    Clicking the settings button in the Inspector, then clicking 'Reset' opens the file up:
    View attachment 836245

Then I tested a few things and noticed that the issue is: some of my 'Actions' names had special characters in them. When I changed their name to use just letters and generated another C# class it worked!

Note: the settings button in the Inspector wasn't clickable for me when the problem first arose. So if you also encounter this issue, restart Unity until you can click it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  2. RakshitRanjan

RakshitRanjan

did u find a fix??????????having the same problem

3. FlipDock

FlipDock

Unfortunately I haven't found a fix yet. I'm still experimenting with things to try and figure out what happened and how to mend it

4. RakshitRanjan

RakshitRanjan

i found a fix. Do u have vJoy in your computer, if yes, just uninstall and restart your computer and it should be fixed.
    i had vJoy and i uninstalled it and now its working fine

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  5. FlipDock

FlipDock

I don't have vJoy installed :/

6. FlipDock

FlipDock

I found a fix!
    Clicking the settings button in the Inspector, then clicking 'Reset' opens the file up:
    upload_2021-4-17_11-20-38.png

Then I tested a few things and noticed that the issue is: some of my 'Actions' names had special characters in them. When I changed their name to use just letters and generated another C# class it worked!

Note: the settings button in the Inspector wasn't clickable for me when the problem first arose. So if you also encounter this issue, restart Unity until you can click it.