Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct here to familiarize yourself with the rules and how to post constructively.

2. Unity 2022.1 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your project's performance with our new guide on profiling in Unity.
    Dismiss Notice

New Input System - How to setup Apple TV Remote?

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Sebastian1989101, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Sebastian1989101

Sebastian1989101

I'm currently trying to port my first project to the new Input System package. So far, PC Input and Gamepad Input are working well. But the Apple TV Remote just messed up everything. The UI Navigation is total broken + the mapping to the Buttons / Touch Clicks is lost. So how do I need to setup my Input System to make the UI work again with swipe and "submit" click in the middle of the touch field of the remote? And how do I need to setup the Click Events for 1, 2 and the Buttons 3 and 4 to work again in my game (see picture below for numbers)?

2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Unity Technologies

So, short version... we don't really have Apple TV Remote support yet. Not like the old system.

Long version... on iOS/tvOS, the GameController side of input from it should come through alright though with no specific understanding of the controller and thus it being considered a generic gamepad. UI bindings probably won't make much sense for it. Also, no idea about the touch aspect of the controller. On MacOS, I would expect nothing from the remote to come through as we don't have working GameController support yet.

3. Sebastian1989101

Sebastian1989101

@Rene-Damm thanks for the reply. I tested a bit with it but so far without any success. I can either "destroy" gamepad input for my Apple TV version or use the remote right now. Is there any ETA when this will be added to the new Input System? Because I know that Apple TV is a very small market compared to the others.

4. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Unity Technologies

Could you explain some more? Do I understand you correctly that input from the remote is working but is conflicting with input set up for generic gamepads?

Unfortunately not at the moment.

5. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

Hello! Is there any news about Apple TV Remote support in the Input System? If not, what is the best workaround for now? Maybe creating a custom device for the System?

6. ldewet-ct

ldewet-ct

I would like to know as well. I'm trying to get Mfi controllers working accross Mac, iOs and tvOS, while also supporting each platform's specific input devices like keyboard, touch screen, mouse, siri remote, etc.

7. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

We've created a workaround for Apple TV Remote. The problem for us was that Apple TV Remote spawns two kind of events simultaneously. It generates Stick and DPad which messes everything. So, we implemented a class similar to iOSGameController but with disabled DPad mapping. So, now it generates Stick events only. I'll share the code that may be satisfying enough and cover someone needs as well.

Minimal project with the code
    iOSGameControllerRemote implementation
    Input initialisation

iOSGameControllerRemote requires unsafe privileges, the above project has a properly set up asmdef
    The controller appears in Input asset in Gamepads category.

P.S.: I didn't know how to disable DPad completely, so I mapped it to right stick press (not movement) which is not used in our game. So, if someone knows more elegant way to disable it I would appreciate this info.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  8. CDF

CDF

So @FIFTYTWO workaround is still the only current solution for apple tv remote support? I'm experiencing same issues using v1.0.1-preview1. swiping the touch area is really broken. But pressing does seem to work ok

9. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

It seems this workaround is still the only solution. We used this workaround in Kenshō and now we're going to use it in Populus Run which is in development yet.

qball13z and CDF like this.
  10. peterahou

peterahou

qball13z likes this.
  11. daveinpublic

daveinpublic

Hey, just bumping this. I think getting Apple TV's remote to work with the new Input System is pretty important.

Looks like some people have had success implementing workarounds, would like to hear if Unity has any plans of getting this to work for everyone. Or at least if it's being looked at.

qball13z likes this.
  12. CDF

CDF

So many issues with tvOS remote.
    It's almost like there are two pointers active.
    One is simulated like a game pad, swipe left/right/up/down, click touch to press.
    Then some other invisible pointer that acts like a tap and drag mouse.

If you have a scroll rect on screen and other buttons, the scroll rect drags as you swipe the touch pad, making it impossible to press buttons.

other buttons like the play/pause, menu etc. Don't seem to work at all.

I really hope Unity can take a look at this ASAP

13. MollySpryFox

MollySpryFox

Is there a way to check from unity if the current gamepad is an ExtendedGamepad or a MicroGamepad remote?
    I'd like to take input for normal mfi controllers but ignore the remotes but I'm not sure but it looks like they're both just iOSGameController.

14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If they haven't implemented a relatively simple feature in over a year, you can be pretty sure they don't care about implementing it at all.

15. erlemaitre

erlemaitre

I put a vote here ! For an official package that is now verified and that developers are encouraged to use, the new input system is not an option for a game running on Apple TV. If the new input system makes cross-platform inputs easier, it does nos handle the remote as the old system could... :(
    Is there an official place to upvote the support of the Apple TV Remote ?

16. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I like going out on the balcony and shouting at the void.

aihodge likes this.
  17. erlemaitre

erlemaitre

Well, why not ! I'll try this, maybe a member of the Input team will hear me :eek:

Miscellaneous likes this.
  18. qball13z

qball13z

I will join in on the yelling :) I basically paused development on our tvOS build due to the input system not being compatible. Would love to see some official information on the status, so I don't have hack around it.

Miscellaneous and erlemaitre like this.
  19. BenPinkas

BenPinkas

20. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

I guess I'll join the yelling too ! :D

This is currently a real blocker for our project. We are unable to port it to Apple TV, where we already have a lot of customers/players with previous apps : it is not a niche market at all for us.

Miscellaneous and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  21. CDF

CDF

Rene-Damm must be on vacation, hasn't been around since December 7 2020.
    Anyone else from Unity able to comment on support for tvOS remote?

This is pretty ridiculous. Going on more than a year now

qball13z and Miscellaneous like this.
  22. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Are you still active?

MousePods and qball13z like this.
  23. plokkum

plokkum

I'm sorry for digging up an old thread. I've been trying to find ways to separate the swipes from the d-pad values. As of right now the Apple remote messes things up when adding the D-Pad controls to my input actions.

Any news or workarounds for this?

qball13z likes this.
  24. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

Hi guys! Recently we've released a complete solution to support Apple TV Remote in Unity. The asset wraps native GCMicroGamepad and passes its input to Unity. It supports both Apple TV Remote 1st and 2nd generations. It works with Input System Package (New) and with Input Manager (Old). Comparing to the default implementation there are the following highlights:
    • Clickpad (left, right, up, down buttons on the D-Pad ring) in the 2nd generation is suported
    • There are no issues with messing Left Stick and D-Pad in Input System Package (New)
    • Menu Button is processed properly in Input Manager (Old)
    The asset can be bought here https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...input-support-for-apple-tv-siri-remote-208423

Demo version with the 10 minutes restriction can be downloaded here https://github.com/C0DEF52/AppleGamepadsDemo/releases

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    ltomov and Midiphony-panda like this.
  25. Midiphony-panda

Midiphony-panda

Nice ! :)
    Meanwhile at Unity... ^^"

FIFTYTWO likes this.
  26. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean Unity will profit from this too. The way the Asset Store is set up, Unity is incentivized to have gaps in their feature set, so people spend more money on the Asset Store where Unity gets a generous cut from.

They’ve devised a system where not doing the work makes them more money.

27. andpuent

andpuent

In case anyone is interested you can follow this repo to implement appleTV controller input into your project.

unityunity