Search Unity

New Input System and Unity Remote 5

Discussion in 'Input System' started by jrmobley, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Arcalise

Arcalise

Fun fact, I stumbled across this issue recently as i realized i couldnt interact with UI elements using the new input package using the remote. But it worked just fine building it. I then decided to try one of the preview versions to see if it was maybe fixed there. As it turns out, not only is it not fixed there. The unity remote 5 doesnt work at all with the latest preview version!

I submitted a bug report and a tech was able to reproduce the issue. So maybe we can get people to vote on it so they see people do use the unity remote and want it fixed. The report is here.

fireanth likes this.
  2. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

They already know about the need for the remote5, the thing is not a lot of devs use the unity forums to chat, some skim for solutions here and across other forums YT Books etc without the need to keep trying to get Unity to move up the dev process of the remote 5 device unlike some of us who do keep looking here for answers, a lot of devs just get on with it or have multiple projects so push the android one with remote5 necessity aside just waiting until it is fixed, but some of us don't have that luxury and desperately need it..well yesterday.

I really am weeks away from just focusing on Unreal or learning Godot which is a massive shame, I've put 4+ years into Unity learning and now feel let down. I've been through, positive, calm, relaxed, nervous, eager, stressed, angry, depressed, calm again, positive, nervous that nothing is being done so don't want to go back to stressed then angry as it makes you unfocused and things start to go wrong.

This has not been the journey I thought I was going to have with Unity when I first started off learning Unity and things just seemed to work. Can't say the same now, things seem scattered and they seem to have lost focus on the large amount of mobile devs that help grow the popularity of the engine to what it is today and probably why Godot is gaining traction and for 3D Unreal seems the way especially with UE5 now showing what it can do. I know Unity want to have some of those 3D devs and I'm one of them, but If they can't seem to fix a Remote5 for testing over this long it seems to show a lack of bothering about those kinds of devs and a just build/test attitude for 2D/3D mobile.

Maybe I'm being harsh but after this amount of time and with the new input system and starter assets being released surely they should have had the remote5 being worked on along side those too? The oversight is strange as mobile devs make up a large amount of Unity devs and when you used to ask a mobile dev what engine they use 9/10 it is Unity, but now over the last couple of years I'm starting to hear oh Godot, or Unreal now but it used to be Unity, some html5 frameworks, some pygame because of the popularity of JS and Python growing and some Unity and I usually hear the same thing, had trouble after 2019.2 which I could not fix so switched to said engine. If that doesn't ring alarm bells for Unity then it should, unless Unity thinks now the only thing to focus on is 3D/VR/AR PC Desktop/Consoles/Oculus/Hololens with some 2D Mobile upgrades in the future as the roadmap looked like that a while ago a focus on 2D, but again the oversight for Remote5 testing is bizarre.

I'm not saying Unity should not do 3D and only focus on 2D, there will always(hopefully) be 3D devs on Unity like myself a mixture of 2D/3D/VR, the popularity of 2D and 2D mobile skyrocketed so did the engine because of it and devs doing 2D with mobile real-time testing, things that are used in tandem to test should be useable along side any new updated UI or whatever, especially after beta alpha release it should work....but doesn't?
    If I can use Unity for 2D/3D/VR/AR why use any other engine? It doesn't have to be Unreal, but what it should be is an engine that "Works" especially testing on mobile devices be it 2D/3D/VR/AR the age of mobile is well and truly here and so should testing on them work too, so the development with Remote5 should have happened along side the Starter assets and new UI system.

I keep giving Unity the benefit of the doubt, that it will be announced soon that the Remote5 now works fully with the starter assets and New UI system....any week now...?

Unique-Player, PutridEx and fireanth like this.
  3. grace4succession

grace4succession

It's been 2½ years and still no update or even a ballpark idea if one is coming! This is a critical feature that is pretty essential to mobile developers and they have been abandoned and left in the dark. It just seems unreal (pun intended) to hinder developers who are using and potentially promoting your engine to a massive audience.

fireanth and Paul_Hughes like this.
  4. DavidAPC

DavidAPC

First time ever posting in this forum, and I just can't believe this. Unity Remote was vital to our workflow. What's worse, plugins we were using seem to have updated to use InputSystem so now they don't work with Unity Remote either.

I hope you know that this move has caused a startup to lose a bunch of money, time and effort. Having a fast way to check if multi touch works is vital. Any other option requires more time or significant hardware purchases.

fireanth and Paul_Hughes like this.
  5. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-input-system-and-unity-remote-5.735968/page-2#post-7409885

Any time somebody says "This cost us money" I'm going to repost my free workaround that allows you to test multitouch through the new InputSystem interfaces if you leave Both input systems enabled by injecting things. Sorry to be a broken record but this whole situation is ridiculous and I want everyone to be as unaffected by it as possible.

6. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

I understand, I really do, I like many others have waited and waited and waited, and yes @Fenrisul it is great that you have spent your time doing a work around and that is much appreciated and you are not a broken record people can see your posts and the ones that will use it will use it, the others that won't for many reasons a still waiting, but mostly I think people just want it Official from Unity so it can be modified into the future and beyond, bug reports etc, and when getting things from the asset store or wherever, not always is the product updated over time or it quite "fits" the multitude of scenarios, as creators for the editor or assets people move on to other things, where as Unity as a company are not going anywhere and should be there for the long haul to update any bug fixes. Again it is great that you have done this but yes there are people losing money from this oversight due to miscommunication and not always willing to test many other solutions as they might feel... as I said they just want the Official Unity version just as they use the New UI Input System or Starter Assets with possibility of touch and joystick etc that they released, so it probably should have by now been able to be used by the Remote 5 as it was a staple in most mobile devs testing, be it a single freelance dev or small company with less devs, we all used it every day all day testing and are now waiting for something official and are grateful for your input, it kind of shows them up a bit and makes you wonder, if you can do it as one person, then why can't they? Bizarre.

I have chopped and changed so many times since 2019.3 fixing things left right and centre which just added extra time and stress to a couple of projects, and am just disappointed they don't have the Remote 5 up and running now for said purpose so as to speed up the development process. Let's just hope they have something and soon.;)

Attached Files:

fireanth likes this.
  7. fireanth

fireanth

I cannot believe this is issue is not resolved yet after 2 years? Please get Unity Remote 5 updated so I can use UnityEngine.InputSystem.

Paul_Hughes and impheris like this.
  8. impheris

impheris

I also can not believe this app is not updated and this is still an issue -.-

Paul_Hughes likes this.
  9. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Its basically *not* the app's fault O_O Its deep in the Unity Editor core from my reading of @Rene-Damm 's comments.

10. LtSkitz

LtSkitz

Brilliant mate this worked a treat.

For anyone else finding this thread, Fenrisul made a great workaround. Here's a quick step-by-step:

• Download his script.
    • Put it in your project's assets folder.
    • In Project Settings, choose "Player" scroll down to right above Optimization, there's a bit that says "Allow 'unsafe' code". I had to select this for Unity to like using the code.
    • In Project Settings, choose "Player" and then scroll down to Configuration->Active Input Handling, change to "Both" (this bit's in his code, but took me a hot minute to find where the setting was).
    • Add the script as a component to your Player object.

I'm a pretty fresh noob and doing that got Unity Remote AND Build & Run to work with my on-screen joystick on my Pixel 4a. Haven't played extensively with it but the on-screen joystick works so that's good enough for me for now.

Cheers Fen

PatAndStormy and Fenrisul like this.
  11. LtSkitz

LtSkitz

So don't know if it's something else or the workaround script. I have a basic on screen joystick and single button. I can move around at will and tap the button to fire separately, but as soon as I am moving AND tapping at the same time, the joystick freezes in whatever direction for 2-4 seconds.

I'm trying to hunt down a workaround/fix but would be happy if you had any thoughts/ideas to solve.

12. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

This was a similar problem with the joystick before the new input system, whenever I turned it kept on turning for a few seconds afterwards which was rather annoying, but for what I needed to do, testing running jumps and shooting while running etc it worked well enough. I know others are saying it's deep inside the Unity core, but let's be honest well over 2 years from a professional company and Android games as of recent has seen an influx of people using Unity and the Remote 5 for testing, why it's still not fixed is becoming troubling to say the least and has halted my progress down to a snails pace, on the other hand my time on Unreal is becoming very useful and a switch is looking more and more likely day by day. I will give it to summer, if nothing has changed then Unreal it is..sad spent years working on mobile first apps on Unity and thought 3D mobile would stand me and others I speak to in good stead, this is very disappointing to say the least, as a lot of devs are already switching to Godot and others, especially to UE5. I hope Unity pull it out the bag as I prefer C# and the Unity editor, but time is of the essence. Peace and good luck to all

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  13. Fulcrum_Games

Fulcrum_Games

Hey I'm having this issue too. I thought it might have been a problem on my end but at least good to see im not the only one having trouble with it. @Fenrisul can you confirm if this is something that isn't working for you with the RemoteTouchInjector script, too? To be clear, my bug is that i have 2 joysticks on screen in a top down shooter game. the left moves and the right aims. Both sticks work great individually on unity remote with your script, but if I try pressing both sticks at the same time, the first stick pressed will get stuck in the position I had it. In fact it doesn't have to be a touch on the other stick. If I'm using the left stick and touch with another finger, anywhere else on screen, the left stick will get stuck and only works again if i lift finger up and touch that stick again. Hope this helps diagnose the issue.

Other than this, very grateful for the script at least giving remote SOME functionality.

14. LtSkitz

LtSkitz

Cheers--I'm still having the issue, trying things to figure it out. It's almost like it won't distinguish between two different touchIDs.

Fulcrum_Games likes this.
  15. Keita-kun

Keita-kun

And here I was hoping to smooth the mobile dev process and jump in. Well old input system. Till it is no more viable solution than switch(with the lost time,money on asset and so on) to some other Engine UE5 more likely. The intros, tutorials, unite now talks, warrior project on GitHub way exciting just to realize it is not working for mobile and more over if it is fixed it won't be for 2019.4/2020 instead 2021 or 2022. Very Sad Unity is less and less friendly to indie devs.

Paul_Hughes and chipotlepowder like this.
  16. Mykael-BC

Mykael-BC

So any news on this? I finally decided to switch to the new input system, changed every bit of code interaction related and it work super well on pc, great but I'm doing an android game. So I'm plugging my phone and launch remote5 and nothing. I tried Fenrisul's script it does the job as a temp solution(Thanks at least its working). So does Unity finally have a solution? do I need to install a preview version of unity? (cause I will if it means it works).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Paul_Hughes likes this.
  17. yosefstudios

yosefstudios

Not actually. In the last update by the Unity team (a few months ago, I think?), they were working on some of the internal code of Unity itself. Apparently this interfered with what they were trying to do. So, I think we can assume that they're having a bit of a rough time. Keep in mind that they may also be working on the new app (Unity Remote only works with the old input system. From what they said, it looks like they will have to write another app from scratch).

18. chipotlepowder

chipotlepowder

Wow. I started using Unity building a game in 2020. I had maybe 3 months learning. Got into a massive accident, life flight, hospital,etc. I finally got back onto my project a month ago. I decided I better learn this new input system. Got my phone hooked up to remote 5. I watched probably 300 hrs of youtube. Wrote and rewrote script after script. I am ready to hang it up thinking I am just plan out too stupid to learn this. So what you guys are saying is I may not be stupid? I don't know if I should cry in relief or frustration.

19. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

Sorry to hear of your hospitalisation, nothing worse than health scares. Yeah the whole new UI not working with Remote 5 has been well over 2 years now and a lot of us still waiting for something to announced for the mobile indie dev solution. It has been a frustrating time and many devs have now been looking at UE4/5 Godot etc as they are getting the feeling Unity is becoming less mobile indie friendly which is a shame as mobile indie devs really helped Unity be one of the top game engines of the last decade. I get they will need to write a new app but there should have been something by now, a beta by now at least even for the ones who are really needing to get a move on. You are not stupid there are lots of levels of learning in software development so don't put yourself down, you will grow year after year 2020 wasn't that long ago so don't worry. I keep coming back to this thread now and again waiting to see if anything has changed, as the longer it takes the further from Unity I get which is a shame, as I am a transitional 3D Dev looking to do some of what they are trying to do for the future, but who's to say they won't do the same in the future again and leave indie devs in the cold without a means of testing albeit whatever mobile, XR devices etc I just don't like what has happened these last few years it has unsettled quite a few of us and has pushed quite a few away as well, which is a shame as Unity is/was renown for its support of indie developers, but can't say the same today, sad really, we are no into April 2022 and this thread is well over a year old, might even be 2(wow! just looked Aug 28 2019!). Anyway good luck my friend all will come good in the end, Unity can be a great Engine when it all works well that is.

20. TsvetelinaStoyanova

TsvetelinaStoyanova

21. cubrman

cubrman

Just confirming this is still an issue in April 2022.

Krnitheesh16 likes this.
  22. TomTheMan59

TomTheMan59

It’s finally out!!!!!!!

1.4.0 has the remote!!!!
    • Added support for using the Unity Remote app with the Input System.
      • Requires Unity 2021.2.18 or later.

23. graskovi

graskovi

Do you have a link to where that changelog is? I'm looking in the 2021 Package Manager and I don't see a 1.4.0 release, have you tried this out? If so, what version of Unity are you using?

24. TomTheMan59

TomTheMan59

SubbuGames likes this.
  25. SubbuGames

SubbuGames

thank you! finally i can use remote normally. I am quite the beginner still so, I didn't know what to do at all. hopefully the 1.4.0 comes quick.

Paul_Hughes likes this.
  26. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

Am I dreaming?

27. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

In the Package Manager I can see Remote Config 1.4.0, is this what you are talking about?
    Anyone have a link to a github repo for this? Ah ok I see it now in Changelog 1.4.0 And 2021.2.18 or later? so what is the point in LTS if I can't get it to work on 2020.3 LTS? honestly....a recent upgrading to a new version broke my project during the update and honestly not thrilled about updating to 2021.3 LTS...I mean what...is...the...point...in....LTS? I was happy until I saw 2021.2.18+ was needed...pffft Unity guys come on.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  28. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

Ok..Ok, well after downloading the new editor and opening a copy of my project, and after getting rid of some pesky errors(nothing compared to the horror of going from 2018 - 2019.3) the Remote 5 now indeed works, so now time to catch up with a year or so testing that I lost when I switched to the new UI Input system and starter assets Third Person and Mobile Joystick.

But I must say thank you Unity Devs, you finally got it up and running and it seems to not over rotate/move for an extra couple of secs like the old standard assets mobile joystick, that was a bit annoying so well done guys. Hopefully in the future an oversight like this will be avoided as the mobile community for Unity is very large and not just 2D and quick builds to test, doing 3D mobile I must admit it was a bit of a kick in the old one and twos for testing the last year or so, having to build which took ages(close to an hr) just to do a small test was getting on my nerves, but now I feel a bit more relieved and that I can finally get my well overdue game out before xmas....only a year or so late! :p

Good luck to everyone else who was waiting patiently for this too, simple real time testing on mobile is back! ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  29. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

It was a pleasure complaining with you sir :)

30. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

We got there in the end though didn't we, after a nudge or two! lol See you around on here some day no doubt! :p

31. petey

petey

Hmm, strange that this one isn't available even as a pre-release package yet, does anyone know why that might be?

32. petey

petey

Hey I couldn't get this to work... Is this one looking like it might become a normal package anytime soon?

33. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

Your Remote 5 isn't working even when you updated to Unity 2021.3? I updated to Unity 2021.3(LTS) Didn't want to but I did anyway and now my Joystick from starter kit is now working at last! What version of Unity are you using?

34. Heimlink

Heimlink

35. impheris

impheris

wow... i can not believe it, something good here

Paul_Hughes likes this.
  36. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

In my package manager I'm using Input System: 1.3.0, Unity 2021.3.5f1.
    I'm not too sure of the whole ins and outs of the engine and especially since going to the new UI which I did and had no communication with the Unity Remote 5, I waited a very long time upgraded to the version you see above and then it just worked. I have my Input set to Both and I always go back into the editor setting under remote and press Android remote. Funny though when I run Remote 5 and whenever I press on the mouse or keyboard to change something while testing I have to press pause then unpause to get the remote 5 working again, bizzare that entering anything in the editor while testing stops the remote from working, it must switch to editor, but pause then upause must switch it back just like pressing android in the editor remote settings. Anyway I hope you get it working soon, I have a year or so of testing to catch up on, getting there though but wish I had it sooner as the game is a year late lol

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  37. felipemullen

felipemullen

First of all, always want to thank the devs who work on these features. Without them we wouldn't be doing anything here, and really, they don't get to choose what does/doesn't get worked on.

I have been following the new input system since it was first announced, but it has been quite a frustrating experience. Unity team, just show some transparency with these issues. If a single dev were dedicated to this feature things would have been moving along this whole time.

I am hearing about version 1.4 on this forum and I see it in the docs, so why isn't it available in the editor? Things like this just don't make sense

upload_2022-8-6_11-30-37.png

38. MousePods

MousePods

We take a slow approach to the package releases. It is made available via the package manager in the following order: Alpha > Beta > latest Tech release > LTS > LTS. So we have a better chance to catch any big issues we might have missed before we recommend it for updating for everyone.

If it doesn't show up yet when enabling preview packages you can edit the manifest file of your project's Packages folder and just add a 1.2.0 in there. Even 1.3.0 should be available this way.

Quote from a Unity dev. I assume you probably just add 1.4.1 to the manifest.

felipemullen likes this.
  39. justifun

justifun

adding 1.4.1 to the manifest I can see it now in the package manager, and it says its installed. but inputs with unity remote still dont work :(

40. Karsten

Karsten

it can be that the adb.exe is hanging, its the programm needed on the PC to do all that Remote stuff
    try to kill/restart it also your phone must be in USB debug mode

41. dduncanbtw

dduncanbtw

Looks like something is different in 2022.1, it doesn't work there

42. jjfawkes

jjfawkes

It's not working with 2022.1.20f1.
    I have input system v1.4.3, but I don't receive any touch inputs from the mobile device.

43. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

Mines is working in 2021.3.5f1, the only problem is that if you change something in the editor you have to pause then un-pause. To get it working sometimes swapping to none then back to Android fixes it, but not always, sometimes detaching the usb cable then re-attaching sometimes works as well, but yeah can be a pain at times. I would expect by now in 2022, it should be working fine! Bizarre but not a complete surprise, well not as of recent anyway.

44. CraftedGaming

CraftedGaming

any updates?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    e-scheer likes this.
  45. Torukun_404

Torukun_404

Still in the 2023 and it's not working either :(

46. geronimo_desenvolvimentos

geronimo_desenvolvimentos

It will never work it seems, year 2023 AD and it is still broken.

47. Meatloaf4

Meatloaf4

Am I correct in that Unity Remote now works as long as we are on 2021.2.18 and above?

--- Edit ---

Just coming back to say that I can 100% confirm that it's working on 2021.3.14, but not working on 2020.3.46. I'm assuming this is because of the necessary 2021.2.18 minimum unity version that is required as laid out in the Unity docs here.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  48. Nijamyang

Nijamyang

chrismarch likes this.
  49. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

petey likes this.
  50. Ryiah

Ryiah