Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New Input System and Unity Remote 5

Discussion in 'Input System' started by jrmobley, Aug 28, 2019.

1. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

I recently released a big update to my plugin that supports Input System remoting. The plugin started as an AR Foundation remoting solution but now it can be treated as an alternative to the Unity Remote app :)

petey likes this.
  2. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Nice :) That's a very robust solution for dealing with the full stack of ARFoundation<-->Unity bridge.

KyryloKuzyk likes this.
  3. FamilyGamesTime

FamilyGamesTime

Thank you @Fenrisul - your script works great! Amazing how Unity has never offered up a workaround like this in 2 years.

Kogar and Fenrisul like this.
  4. salqadri

salqadri

I recently started with Unity and found myself needing this, however it seems I'm not the only one; this is an ancient thread and still no official solution. I would especially like to be able to have accelerometer support.

5. Bruno_100

Bruno_100

Guys, it's becoming terrible for debugging my mobile game, I have to build a single APK just to confirm if things are right or not. Unity please update Unity Remote so that the new input system works fine with it, it would be so handy...

6. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Quick update. We have a first implementation running. Some more work is needed but looks promising. Downside is it needs one change in the Unity native runtime to get the messages from the Unity Remote to surface at the C# level. That change will need backporting for the functionality to actually get unlocked.

So, still some work to do and the exact when and how is still a bit uncertain but it's pushed as a priority.

Aratow, Nexer8, Digimaster and 7 others like this.
  7. gulpy3

gulpy3

Thank you so much for this. It's nice to know that this is in fact being addressed. Felt a bit like we were being left by the roadside with this issue until now.

8. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Quick Poll: how badly do you need joystick support to work with the Unity Remote?

We have working touch, gyro, and accelerometer support. And we're thinking of getting this out the door basically as a v1 as we figure it's what's most relevant to most people. In that case, joystick support would be deferred. If this is a deal breaker for you, would be great to hear from you.

Joystick support is less straightforward as we'd have to put dedicated, separate mappings in place for iOS and Android to essentially reverse-map how the old input system backends are mapping gamepads into
    UnityEngine.Input
    joysticks.

Yup, understandable. Took a long while to get this sorted.

akaFalk, NotaNaN and petey like this.
  9. petey

petey

Touch, gyro and accelerometer sounds great.
    The biggest advantage for me was being able to test complicated multitouch stuff quickly.
    You can test joystick fine at the moment so for me it’s not an issue.
    This is great news! Thank you :)

10. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

In order of priority for me:
    1. Multitouch
    2. Screen Orientation (specifically which orientation the phone is currently reporting, not just Gravity Down)
    3. IMU (Accel/Gyro, but equally important is pose estimation from modern phone orientation)
    4. Pedometer-and-other-obscure-sensors

Bruno_100 and Rene-Damm like this.
  11. gulpy3

gulpy3

This. Joystick support in the future would be nice, but I think having the above 4 are a necessity.

12. MousePods

MousePods

Yes, please

13. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Thank you for the feedback. Appreciated.

Check.

Hmm, makes me wonder how well or badly we're handling this ATM. Will go have a look at that.

Check. Except maybe for that last part, not sure.

Unfortunately, that one will have to wait until there's news on the app front. The current Unity Remote support for now is restricted to what we're getting from the current protocol. But... there's movement in the pipes to address that. Once that's made its way out the pipes we'll be adding support for it.

14. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

I can answer that, but I probably shouldn't. :)

Multitouch being the obvious huge one, and orientation for testing reactive layouts/behaviors (which typically have the highest 'build and try again' issues) are the only two that matter to me on the daily.

It's also worth mentioning that you really need to take a look at the "Tap Count"; its all sorts of funky in the new InputSystem, where as typically the mobile OS would provide that number based on accessibility settings.

Truly glad to see you back in action @Rene-Damm !

15. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Having a hunch there's some stuff that may need looking at from the side of the native remoting + Screen code. Will have a dig.

Noted. Added a ticket for it.

16. Karsten

Karsten

It is ultra important , that this time and sanity tool is updated to work with the latest Input package and UI Events.
    I came to this thread when I had to quick-test an app using the New Input and notice Unity Remote 5 does not work anymore.... making a build now... this is a work-economical catastrophe

17. Karsten

Karsten

@Rene-Damm your merge-request is there since 28 days, its really sad how slow this all goes, mobile is a huge thing and I wonder why you dont just go directly to the engine guys and tell them to do that change in the engine ?
    Are they such gods like untouchables? Write an email to Joachim or do whatever, but hey... this is important for very very many of us.

18. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

I posted a quick fix a few posts back if you need an urgent solution - big ships take a while to turn sadly :( This one definitely hurts more than most - I'll be the first to say that.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-input-system-and-unity-remote-5.735968/page-2#post-7409885

19. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

14 of which I have been on vacation :)

But yes, we realize this has taken a long, long time. The thing is that the managed-side PR by itself does no one any good. The more important change is landing the enabling bits inside Unity itself. Wish that part had already landed while I was away but alas (for reasons) it has not yet.

Anyway, all I can say is that we're treating this as very high priority and we're sorry about the time it took for it to be treated that way.

MousePods likes this.
  20. JoeMark17

JoeMark17

Oof I was really hoping I would get to the end of this thread and see a resolution. Looks like this still isn't supported. I guess I'll instead have to go down the route of making a build of the game and release on the test flight in order to debug??

21. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

I posted an interim free touch injector, scroll up a bit - works just fine with Unity Remote 5. If you need Accel/Gyro, let me know and it'll put some more pressure on me to clean that code up (and to prod Rene more :p)

22. Karsten

Karsten

23. andrew_oc

andrew_oc

Unity Technologies

@Karsten It's referring to the changes on the native side. It's something that will be made available in a later Unity release which you'll have to download as normal through the hub, but we don't have a date or version number yet.

24. Karsten

Karsten

Thanks for the information, please see if you can push this native mod in asap, because community crafted workaround hacks are not practicable especially in small/mid sized projects where you often dont have dev/stage/prod builds, then shareholders ask stuff like "why now 'both' input systems? you said only new is needed and its better" and "is this then still 'optimized' ?" ect.

BTW: Thanks for all your effort at Unity Technologies, Unity has come a long way and its great, please dont fail on DOTS and make it as painless useable as possible (only!) then the sucess story will go on !

Kogar and Paul_Hughes like this.
  25. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

I'm waiting on the new starter assets joystick to work though Unity Remote 5, my builds take forever and this just isn't practical for testing a quick jump onto a platform etc very frustrating tbh my project has taken me 4 - 5 times longer than normal and is wearing me down month by month, it's now a struggle to use Unity and am very disappointed the remote 5 is not working with the new starter assets. I hope this gets fixed asap, so much for releasing the game for Christmas, it will probably be summer or later now and as a single dev it's going to hit hard.

26. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

If InputSystem (and the workaround for functional Unity Remote 5 + InputSystem usage I posted) is stopping you from using Unity, consider using InControl or Rewired for dealing with your touch inputs! (I've used both and they both have very good on-screen joysticks) I am able to use Unity Remote 5 with touch perfectly, but I understand if you don't want to set the Input Handling option to "Both" and would prefer Unity to fix the thing they broke 2 years ago instead of continuing your project.

Paul_Hughes likes this.
  27. DrinkableGames

DrinkableGames

Please just try to update remote 5 as soon as possible

Paul_Hughes likes this.
  28. felipemullen

felipemullen

wow it's crazy how much time passes on these threads. Unity team, do you need more devs? Because I am a hobbyist, and seriously about to quit my job ;)

Anyway, just found out none of my UI buttons are working on mobile due to unity remote not being up to date with the new input system. Will try @Fenrisul's workaround and report back

EDIT:
    Sure enough, it works as expected. Great workaround, I'll try not to forget to uncheck "allow unsafe code" before releasing to prod ;D

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  29. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

Thank you for your reply, I was considering using your workaround. I keep building more of my project then checking the remote 5 to see if it works every month, hoping as you said they would have fixed it by now. I will wait for now as I am doing some 3D modelling that needs finished off, but if by the end of this year if the remote does not work then I will look more closely at implementing your work-around. I really am disappointed in this, I put my 3D game to the side because of this, worked on VR came back a year later, still nothing, then built more of the 3D game and another 10 months still nothing....so yeah very disappointed, but thank you for your work-around, It seems I may need my programming skills at your level for future projects just in case these things happen again. Good luck for your future projects. ;)

30. twaananen

twaananen

Hey, thanks for this! I tried it and it almost works for me, but there are some issues, better than unity remote though..
    First I'm on unity 2021.2.2f, input system is version 1.1.1.

First issue: Most of the time first touch works great, using debug GUI shows both OG and IS labels. More touches only display the OG label and button presses don't register. Errors in the console:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Must have current touch record at this point
    2. UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugUpdater:Update () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.1/Runtime/Debugging/DebugUpdater.cs:183)
    and
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEngine.InputSystem.EnhancedTouch.Touch+FingerAndTouchState.UpdateActiveTouches () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.1.1/InputSystem/Plugins/EnhancedTouch/Touch.cs:777)
    3. UnityEngine.InputSystem.EnhancedTouch.Touch.get_activeTouches () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.inputsystem@1.1.1/InputSystem/Plugins/EnhancedTouch/Touch.cs:335)
    4. UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugManager.GetActionToggleDebugMenuWithTouch () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.1/Runtime/Debugging/DebugManager.Actions.cs:262)
    5. UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugUpdater.Update () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@12.1.1/Runtime/Debugging/DebugUpdater.cs:183)
    Second issue: If another touch is held, pressing buttons leaves them stuck in the pressed state.

Couldn't quickly figure out what the issue might be.

31. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Yeesh thats a crytpic bug heh.

I haven't tested with 2021-anything yet, will try to take a look this week!

@Rene-Damm How's that official Unity Remote merge comin?

Paul_Hughes likes this.
  32. DrinkableGames

DrinkableGames

Is there any progress with remote 5 yet? Any new information about the update?

Paul_Hughes likes this.
  33. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

Can not BELIEVE this is not done yet, 2 plus years of waiting I mean come on, I'm starting to get frustrated, I might try the other fellows work around but would really like an official Unity work. The amount of testing I still need to do with the Remote 5 just makes my head spin, this should have been a sure thing when the new input and starter assets were released for the public to implement into their projects and have done , took a lot of UI stuff and my Player to the new Input system plus more, I just need that Remote 5 to work so I can test jumping, sprinting and jumping across distances, fighting enemies with magic that takes 2 hands, the only thing I have been able to do is use the joystick to walk around and see what the areas look like and interactions, it has been very VERY frustrating and it is now nearly December 2021 almost 2022! can you believe that 2022 and I remember looking at posts on this a couple of years ago and at that point it was already nearly a year old!!! What is going on, they must be doing other high priority things, well I'll say this they are losing Good Dev's over to Godot for 2D and UE4/5 for high end 3D and other HTML5 game engines that JS web Dev's are using like Babylon.js and the Three.js library etc for a mixture of web game variety that will only grow in time and realise Unity has the WebGl option but no mobile, now THAT would be a game changer if it did.

I have now spent nearly a year on UE4 and if things don't look up on Unity asap it is bye bye and that is really sad as they have just ignored the mobile game Dev's that depended badly on the Remote 5. Sad and Disappointed is an understatement, trying to focus on being like UE etc to try get UE guys over to Unity, but all the while losing their Original Unity Dev's who used to love the engine for what it was simple and fun to work with and WORKED...apart from the odd crash which was fine but the engine itself was great. If it ain't broke don't try fix it, trying to get in more artists too focusing on bolt is another thing, yeah great, but like UE blueprints it either works for you or doesn't, it's not the reason they go there in the first place it is the stability of the engine and it actually WORKS.....which Unity used to until around 2019.2+ something went wrong, new team, young team added just don't know?, but anyway I've waited far too long and my 3D android game will have to be shelved(losing income with all this) until they get the Remote 5 to run with the new Input starter assets TPController, as of now it STILL does not function.....bizarre guys bizarre?. I know you guys are busy but come on well over 2 years we've been waiting for this. I really thought by xmas 2020 it would be up and running at the very latest considering how popular 2D mobile gaming is on Unity...well it's 2021 almost 2022.....and nothing. I really hope I see a post soon saying right guys all systems go have a blast and test till your hearts content!.....

34. DrinkableGames

DrinkableGames

Can you tell us something about the progress so far?

35. Fluttershy28

Fluttershy28

legend has it that to this day we wait for updates.

36. gulpy3

gulpy3

I had some hope when Rene stepped in, but if pull requests take over 2 months for something this simple, I highly doubt we'll get any tangible update until mid 2022.

37. PhantomGingerGames

PhantomGingerGames

+1, I spent an afternoon getting unity remote working JUST to test the 1.2 input system... Lo and behold it doesn't work at all... Now I'm trying to figure out what the best way to move forward is. I don't want to use the old input system as all of the other devices I'm planning to support are currently working with it.

At the same time the idea of building, downloading, and installing a debug build to my device every time I want to test the input system (which I feel is badly documented and difficult to implement without trial and error) is just... Depressing.

38. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

There is a temporary event injection work around script attached here. It sucks to have to do it, but if you enable the Old and New InputSystem frameworks, this will allow you to use the new InputSystem Touch inputs with UnityRemote; just disable the old one when you deploy to device.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-input-system-and-unity-remote-5.735968/page-2#post-7409885

39. ShadyMike

ShadyMike

Still waiting ...

40. Rubiix

Rubiix

Any updates guys?

41. Anipen

Anipen

2022 not yet..

42. petey

petey

Surely this is one of those issues Unity could put some extra attention to :(
    It’s concerning that it got left out in the first place but now over two years after people start bringing it up and we’re still in the dark. It was important enough to be included in the original Unity iPhone from like 2009 (or so) and I’m pretty sure Unreal has one. It’s not like mobile is a small market?

43. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

Just came across this too. :(

44. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

@Rene-Damm

This thread was made in 2019. I built a workaround anyone is free to use for at least touch inputs if they're willing to enable the old working input system alongside the new system; I'm proactively supporting as much as I can. More importantly my business, and others, pay a monthly subscription to ensure continued development and support on the tools we rely on. This was (is!) a mission-critical feature for a huge number of mobile devs. Can we seriously not even get a timeline at this point?

I miss getting beers with everyone after GDC :( I feel like this would be solved already.

MID 2019

Paul_Hughes, petey and Kogar like this.
  45. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

This is bizarre Unity hasn't given us anything yet, I can understand just building a small scene and testing but my 3D scenes are not small and takes far too long to build just to test a small part, then build again.
    I'm starting to get lost for words and it's not just Unity, I've been noticing certain things around me are getting worse and slower or the work is pushed back due to covid yet people are still in front of screens working from home, yet things are not getting done just "talked about"?

Please guys at Unity help us devs out that really need this to work asap.
    Thanks.

46. petey

petey

Last year the Animation team mentioned that they were focused on dots now, and any existing animation systems would only receive critical fixes from here on, maybe it's a similar situation here?

47. gulpy3

gulpy3

Preach. I ended up just forking over the cash for a touch screen monitor exclusively for this purpose. Granted I still can't use any mobile exclusive features (ala accelerometer, gps, etc) in tandem, but at least it gets me half way there. While your solution is greatly appreciated, the fact that unity just disregards this issue is extremely telling. They're trying to fight Epic for their piece of the AAA market and it feels like they are allocating all resources to that.

Paul_Hughes likes this.
  48. petey

petey

The whacky thing is, this is all just forcing me to start learning Unreal!
    And I can't help but get the feeling Unity care less and less about Indie devs these days so why pay every month for that?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Paul_Hughes likes this.
  49. gulpy3

gulpy3

This type of thing happens in all industries when there's leadership changes or changes in priorities. They forget why they got so big in the first place. Only 10% of AAA games are developed on Unity, making the remaining 90% their true audience...that they are now leaving in the dust....

Paul_Hughes likes this.
  50. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

This is what happened with me, I had to start learning Unreal as Unity became "Broken" after 2019.2, Indie Devs need to make income just as big companies do, but leaving out the main testing system for mobile for the new input system and starter assets etc is just not right, I get it maybe after a year or so especially after covid but this is now well over 2 years, and a lot of devs are either switching to godot or unreal, because Unity wants to match Unreal. I never chose Unity because it was Unreal, I chose it for mobile, 2D/VR/3D, 2D has gotten harder with ads and so many similar games, then recently google daydream let me down after a whole year working on a VR app, so went for 3D mobile and now Unity has let me down when I switched to the new Input system and starter assets. I'm stuck making scenes with no real direction for testing. My 3D skills now have been helpful for Unreal, not the biggest fan of C++ or Blueprints, but their engine works for what it is supposed to do, and you can go from zero to a small game in no time and the graphics look more polished, but again, large polished 3D AAA games take years to make. I have my 3D mobile game that "Should" have been finished last year at some point but I'm stuck now with no testing and no income. At some point I'm going to have to make a decision, use my C# on Godot, keep learning Unreal, or HOPE Unity wakes up and realises what they are going to lose over the next year or so, because there will be lots of devs not posting about this just making decisions like I just said about other engines.

I can't afford to sit around and wait much longer....

dan-oak, DrinkableGames and petey like this.