Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

New Input System and Unity Remote 5

Discussion in 'Input System' started by jrmobley, Aug 28, 2019.

1. jrmobley

jrmobley

Is the new Input System expected to work with Unity Remote 5? I see that the Input Debug panel has a pulldown for Remote Devices, and my iPhone does show up in that list, but when I choose it, I get three errors in the console log, and no input from the remote:

Attempting to connect to player ip: 127.0.0.1 with a 1 ms timeout
    Failed to connect to player
    DisconnectMsg.Process
    The docs regarding Debugging Remotely suggest to me that it only supports connecting to a remote instance of my own project, so I'm not entirely surprised that it does not successfully connect to Unity Remote 5.

It would be super useful to develop for multi-touch via Unity Remote!

Monopowaa likes this.
  2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Unity Technologies

We haven't yet sync'd with the folks for the Unity Remote so no definite plans at this point and not sure what the status is ATM. Something good to pick up post-1.0 I think.

The input debugger can indeed only connect if there's a project (doesn't have to be the same one) running with the input system active on the opposite end. When connected, touch input from the device is coming through like local input but yeah, without the graphics being sent back to the device, that provides limited usefulness for operating the game remotely. So yeah, Unity Remote support surely should happen.

Monopowaa likes this.
  3. Bill-Ape

Bill-Ape

Hi, this is essential for us before we could move onto this new InputSystem. The Unity Remote is a vital stepping stone for writing touch controls to test how something is feeling without having to wait for a full build.

diliupg, toma7687 and deividkamui like this.
  4. Goest_

Goest_

Is there an update on this? Being able to use the remote app would be really useful with the new input system

navaem likes this.
  5. hazuhiro

hazuhiro

hi all, is it support unity remote already for touch input?

6. o-san

o-san

I have not managed to get it to work (having the same problems as the topic starter). Any news on this?

7. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

It doesn't work for us too. It would be really great to test the new input system with Unity Remote. Very useful for touch and accelerometer/gyroscope controls.

8. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Erm... Wow. I actually didn't expect to see this thread.

Unity Remote is *HOW* mobile Unity apps get made.

Does InputSystem support Unity Remote now? Even through an artificial touch events --> InputSystem events bridge?

Monopowaa likes this.
  9. suiboli

suiboli

Well, yesterday 1.0.0 version released. The post-1.0 time has been arrived. Hope you pick it up in the next preview version. Appreciate.

10. Kmil81

Kmil81

How does the Unity team recommend testing code built around the Input System accelerometer, gyro, and linearaccelerationsensor inputs when developing for iOS?

I'm finding this to be extremely challenging to have to produce a build to test the most basic of features to get started with the new Input System

11. fgbg

fgbg

There's no way I can efficiently build a mobile game using the new input system if remote 5 doesn't detect and send the touch controls. Especially in games where there are lots of unique abilities and movement.

12. Dawando

Dawando

It seems that there is no support for the new input system on mobile at all

13. fgbg

fgbg

Guess it's time to revert then.

14. wtetotew

wtetotew

Hi Unity team.
    How much time approximatly for remote5 compatibility?
    I'm starting a game with new input system but without remote5 support it's problematic.

15. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

What? A game engine that powers 50% of all mobile games has a new input system that doesn't support mobile?

16. hwhikes

hwhikes

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for all unity does have, however, the mobile input workflow could use some attention. If possible, it would be nice to see more streamlined input section for touch. It would have saved some time if there were something like an editor window that housed some boilerplate script for basic touch phases. I know there are other options or even assets that can do this, but something as fundamental as a mobile touchscreen tools shouldn't have to be outsourced IMO. To end on a good note, the new system does look promising with it's easy bindings, gamepad detection, interface generation, ect.

17. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

The only real answer here right now is... meh...buy a Touch Screen friendly monitor or laptop.... Admittedly they aren't that expensive and some laptops still ship with that tech.

https://www.amazon.com/Zenscreen-MB16AMT-Portable-Non-Glare-Speakers/dp/B07WC2NL2G
    These do the job pretty well..

I'll be the first one to say it though.... No Remote Support means I wont be using New Input System in any mobile projects... which hurts big time because mobile Gamepad support is really important.

18. EduardoLauer

EduardoLauer

Any update on this?

19. diliupg

diliupg

wait for about an year they will start on this then. The Epic battle just started.

20. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Unity Technologies

Support for the Unity Remote is being worked on.

21. gsbenton027

gsbenton027

Any progress updates? How long is this expected to take?

unityunity