Search Unity

New Input System and Unity Remote 5

Discussion in 'Input System' started by jrmobley, Aug 28, 2019.

1. jrmobley

jrmobley

Is the new Input System expected to work with Unity Remote 5? I see that the Input Debug panel has a pulldown for Remote Devices, and my iPhone does show up in that list, but when I choose it, I get three errors in the console log, and no input from the remote:

Attempting to connect to player ip: 127.0.0.1 with a 1 ms timeout
    Failed to connect to player
    DisconnectMsg.Process
    The docs regarding Debugging Remotely suggest to me that it only supports connecting to a remote instance of my own project, so I'm not entirely surprised that it does not successfully connect to Unity Remote 5.

It would be super useful to develop for multi-touch via Unity Remote!

chrismarch and Monopowaa like this.
  2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

We haven't yet sync'd with the folks for the Unity Remote so no definite plans at this point and not sure what the status is ATM. Something good to pick up post-1.0 I think.

The input debugger can indeed only connect if there's a project (doesn't have to be the same one) running with the input system active on the opposite end. When connected, touch input from the device is coming through like local input but yeah, without the graphics being sent back to the device, that provides limited usefulness for operating the game remotely. So yeah, Unity Remote support surely should happen.

theshwetapatil and Monopowaa like this.
  3. Bill-Ape

Bill-Ape

Hi, this is essential for us before we could move onto this new InputSystem. The Unity Remote is a vital stepping stone for writing touch controls to test how something is feeling without having to wait for a full build.

4. PhantasmicDev

PhantasmicDev

Is there an update on this? Being able to use the remote app would be really useful with the new input system

navaem likes this.
  5. hazuhiro

hazuhiro

hi all, is it support unity remote already for touch input?

6. o-san

o-san

I have not managed to get it to work (having the same problems as the topic starter). Any news on this?

7. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

It doesn't work for us too. It would be really great to test the new input system with Unity Remote. Very useful for touch and accelerometer/gyroscope controls.

8. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Erm... Wow. I actually didn't expect to see this thread.

Unity Remote is *HOW* mobile Unity apps get made.

Does InputSystem support Unity Remote now? Even through an artificial touch events --> InputSystem events bridge?

crumby_shirt and Monopowaa like this.
  9. suiboli

suiboli

Well, yesterday 1.0.0 version released. The post-1.0 time has been arrived. Hope you pick it up in the next preview version. Appreciate.

10. Kmil81

Kmil81

How does the Unity team recommend testing code built around the Input System accelerometer, gyro, and linearaccelerationsensor inputs when developing for iOS?

I'm finding this to be extremely challenging to have to produce a build to test the most basic of features to get started with the new Input System

11. fgbg

fgbg

There's no way I can efficiently build a mobile game using the new input system if remote 5 doesn't detect and send the touch controls. Especially in games where there are lots of unique abilities and movement.

R-B_Games likes this.
  12. Dawando

Dawando

It seems that there is no support for the new input system on mobile at all

13. fgbg

fgbg

Guess it's time to revert then.

14. wtetotew

wtetotew

Hi Unity team.
    How much time approximatly for remote5 compatibility?
    I'm starting a game with new input system but without remote5 support it's problematic.

15. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

What? A game engine that powers 50% of all mobile games has a new input system that doesn't support mobile?

str1fe likes this.
  16. hwhikes

hwhikes

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for all unity does have, however, the mobile input workflow could use some attention. If possible, it would be nice to see more streamlined input section for touch. It would have saved some time if there were something like an editor window that housed some boilerplate script for basic touch phases. I know there are other options or even assets that can do this, but something as fundamental as a mobile touchscreen tools shouldn't have to be outsourced IMO. To end on a good note, the new system does look promising with it's easy bindings, gamepad detection, interface generation, ect.

17. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

The only real answer here right now is... meh...buy a Touch Screen friendly monitor or laptop.... Admittedly they aren't that expensive and some laptops still ship with that tech.

https://www.amazon.com/Zenscreen-MB16AMT-Portable-Non-Glare-Speakers/dp/B07WC2NL2G
    These do the job pretty well..

I'll be the first one to say it though.... No Remote Support means I wont be using New Input System in any mobile projects... which hurts big time because mobile Gamepad support is really important.

18. EduardoLauer

EduardoLauer

Any update on this?

19. diliupg

diliupg

wait for about an year they will start on this then. The Epic battle just started.

20. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Support for the Unity Remote is being worked on.

21. gsbenton027

gsbenton027

Any progress updates? How long is this expected to take?

MaykeBr likes this.
  22. Masea1

Masea1

This is tragicomic.

23. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,
    I wanted to give a quick update and full transparency on Unity Remote.
    We had a plan to deeply refresh Unity Remote in the 2019.x cycle (including adding the new Input System) but we had to reallocate resources to more pressing issues.
    We also misjudged how much Remote was being used/appreciated and we are working on a new plan. But as of today it's too early for me to share any date/details.
    I know it's not the answer you hoped for, but I will provide an update here as soon as we have finalize the new plan.
    thanks for the feedback.
    JC (Mobile Product Manager)

24. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I hope the wireless remote will come back

25. merode

merode

So the best way to debug new input system with touch controls is to build game in Unity, then build in Xcode and deploy to iPhone? I love it, this workflow makes sure I get lots of coffee and memes time.

Dennis_eA, Bruno_100, DMorock and 2 others like this.
  26. petey

petey

I moved onto the new input system a while ago and only recently had to get back into tweaking touch input. I was not expecting this to be left out! Why? For the love of all things holy!! This has been a part of Unity IOS development since forever.
    The new input system seems really great so far but skipping this is a massive step back.
    It leaves me in some kind of limbo land. With no sign of a replacement should I move back to the old one that seems to be getting phased out...

Kogar, DMorock and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  27. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

What exactly issue do you experience with iOS? We are developing iOS game and using new input system which supports touch well. Maybe you didn't replace input module in the EventSystem?

28. petey

petey

With remote you could tweak something and immediately test it out rather than having to wait for a build to the device. So It's just the extra time it takes to test things out really.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  29. Akhrand

Akhrand

Glad to hear it's on the plan, thanks.

I didn't imagine that the current mobile workflow with the New Input System would not take into account Unity Remote. I've been a good time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Luckly I got to this thread.

Looking forward for the Unity Remote's update :).

30. Muchaszewski

Muchaszewski

@JC-Cimetiere Can we expect any update on this?

2 months since you last statement has passed, and neither Unity Remote nor the new Input system way of "Remote Debugging" seems to not working correctly

All the devices we have in the office all result in a "DisconnectMsg.Process" message when trying to debug the input system when trying to make a connection, so it's impossible for us to even debug at this state...

MousePods likes this.
  31. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

There's work in the pipes but unfortunately, no firm release date yet. Sorry there aren't better news at this point. FWIW, we're hearing the pain and seeing it as a major shortcoming of the current package.

Could you file a ticket for this one with the Unity bug reporter? Sounds like something where either our player connection is flat out failing or where the input debugger is causing it to fail. Would be good to have a look.

32. dholland

dholland

Just switched to the new input system, spent days converting my old touch gesture code to the new system...went to test using Unity remote and nothing...This is very disappointing. I really like the new system, but without a way to test touch inputs it has become a stressful PIA. Please prioritize this higher if you want folks to adopt the new input system.

Kogar and DMorock like this.
  33. wrabenstein

wrabenstein

I had to switch to the old touch inputs (using "Both" now) as I figured out that on some mobile devices (e.g. LG Stylus 2) not all touches will be recognized by the new input system - that especially sucks if you bind player-jump to touches.

34. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

35. daveinpublic

daveinpublic

It's November 30th 2020, and Unity Input doesn't work with Apple TV and you can't use it to try out multitouch gestures.

And I had to switch over to the new Input System to find out both of those things.

DMorock likes this.
  36. Coloradete

Coloradete

No new updates on this?

37. DMorock

DMorock

Will it works correctly at 2020.2 may be?

38. marufdhaka

marufdhaka

It's 2021. Still InputSystem not working with Unity Remote. Any Update Sir?

ShadyMike and DMorock like this.
  39. Darjamfar

Darjamfar

Well I got 2020.2 and just moved my gesture code to new Input System and came to test on Unity Remote and have spent the last hour trying to "fix it". Then I found this thread. It's surprising you didn't realise it wasn't being used as much as you thought bc a use of analytics would have helped you there.

I may as well revert the code back to the old system for gesture input. This is not gonna be soon. I can tell.

40. SlowpokeFarm

SlowpokeFarm

Ah, so InputSystem Actions are not supported. That took a while to figure out. Will probably roll back to old system too.

iegorinmotion likes this.
  41. jjjjames

jjjjames

Minor tweaks to touch controls that would normally take minutes now take hours or even days. I suppose it's on me for not researching the input system's shortcomings more deeply before switching.

42. VideoVillain

VideoVillain

I'm only just now seeing this as well... Gonna swap back to the old system.

How would it ever make any sense what-so-ever to use the InputSystem to make mobile apps when you can't even get real time iterations going for play-testing? That's just a massive failure on Unity's part. Basically making your new system completely useless to anyone doing mobile development...

And why the heck isn't there a notification of some sort anywhere at all that mobile developers won't be able to use Unity Remote if they update to the new system?

Kogar and iegorinmotion like this.
  43. josenajarqs

josenajarqs

Does anyone know how to solve this type of error?

Attached Files:

44. otzidemajour

otzidemajour

About 1.5 years has passed, still no Unity Remote 5 support... come on Unity...

Bruno_100, iegorinmotion and DMorock like this.
  45. BitsAndSpaces

BitsAndSpaces

I'm really liking the new Input System, but it sucks if I can't test it against Unity Remote...

46. Polemus

Polemus

Oh how I wish this would get more attention. building apk every time is becoming unmanageable.

Bruno_100, gulpy3 and Kleeeeeer like this.
  47. alleballe90

alleballe90

Any updates guys?

48. archee

archee

It is good that this post exists. I would never imagined that Unity Remote doesn't support new InputSystem after all this time.

49. gulpy3

gulpy3

No freakin kidding. I finally spent the time to get unity remote working only to find out the things I need to test aren't supported? What good is unity remote if you can't test the touch input system, seemingly the very thing unity remote was designed to do.

50. gulpy3

gulpy3

--Daily Bump 1--

I feel like this is a huge issue for any indie mobile developer and it needs to be addressed. We need to know if we should start looking for alternatives in either engine or supplemental equipment or if there is a plan in place. Im sure I'm not alone when I say I'd really like some information given the last official Unity update was back in Oct. 2020.