Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

new here, opinions please

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by DraneDC5, Mar 19, 2015.

1. DraneDC5

DraneDC5

How guys doing? I'm new here just wanted to say what's up and to get some opinions. I'm new to programming, I've done minor stuff but basically learning from scratch but I am ambitious and determined to make this my new hobby. Should I start off with unity documentation,tutorials on unity, or tutorials on a certain language (thinking either android java code or c#) I know I have a long road ahead but I am willing to do this so any input aappreciated. Thanks

randomperson42 likes this.
  2. randomperson42

randomperson42

Start here:
    http://unity3d.com/learn

Begin with small games, finish them, don't try to make something huge until you've developed your skill.

NomadKing, Ryiah and Hoegbo like this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

Absolutely start with the official tutorials as randomperson42 said. One of the best things you can do long-term though is to learn to write code. Most people here prefer C#. I'll say no more on the subject than that. :rolleyes:

Dive in and start moving balls around, adding cool lighting effects, and getting objects to bash into each other believably. Download Blender (free) and learn how to make your own geometry. Browse the asset store for free assets and play with them. When your projects become too muddy, throw them away and start a new one.

Then try to come up with the most basic idea you for a game you can, and see how far you can get with it. If you think it's terrible, start fresh and try again. And of course, if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Ryiah, Not_Sure and Hoegbo like this.
  4. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Go with C#.

JS is a dying breed and it's not really java, it's Unityscript which is only used in Unity.

You could go and do a bunch of pros and cons and research and what not, or just save all that and just go with C#.

I started in JS and quickly found myself needing to learn C# when several assets wouldn't work with JS.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'd actually advise against this, consider learning art separately from learning programming. 2D games can be great for this.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

There is a free e-book available for C# too.

http://www.robmiles.com/c-yellow-book/

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

In agree. Rob is my old lecturer, this book is all you need in 1st year Computer Science.

8. Teila

Teila

I agree with BoredMormon. Blender can be confusing for a newcomer and it can break your spirit. :) So if you like programming focus on that first. Then consider something like Maya LT. Much easier and the subscription price is good or you can try the Student edition if you are a student.

Welcome to the Unity forums! :)

9. cannon

cannon

Hi,

Remember to grab the sample assets, look through the Asset Store for free placeholders, and as long as you're having fun you can ignore all the other advice we give you (for a while).

Teila likes this.
  10. Schneider21

Schneider21

Fair point. I made the assumption that the OP would be as interested in 3D as I was, but be clueless where to start. I personally don't see that extra dimension as complicating things too much more, with how much Unity handles for you. But 2D should, at the very least by definition, afford an easier learning curve.

I also found Blender to be fairly intuitive. If you're expecting to be able to create gorgeous models within no time, sure... you're setting yourself up to be crushed. I was more suggesting learning the ins and outs of 3D models, and to give an idea of how to get your own content into your game. Cubes and spheres are fun and all, but sooner or later, you're going to want to see something your brain came up with.

11. Teila

Teila

You do? I found it not intuitive at all, but then maybe I just don't have the best memory anymore. lol I would use it, then pick it up a week later and forget how to do everything. With Maya, I picked it up very quickly. I guess it depends on how one's brain works. My teen daughter likes Blender.

12. Schneider21

Schneider21

Which did you use first? I had never messed with a modeling application before, so Blender was my first exposure. That might have something to do with it, since I had no "pro" software to compare it to. I also had to mess with the options a good bit to get trackpad input to work in a way that made sense to me, but I'm very happy with it now, and at times even find myself wishing the Unity scene view would respond similarly. :eek:

13. Teila

Teila

Blender! I found Maya so much easier and faster after using Blender for a while. I guess we do have different brains! :)

14. Schneider21

Schneider21

@Teila Well I should hope so.

Teila likes this.
  15. -Singularity-

-Singularity-

People rave about Modo too, and there's a cheap version on steam now!

Wings 3d doesn't get much love, but it's very easy to learn and suprisingly poweful as a subdivision modeller. Very useful for many things and incredibly fast.

16. DraneDC5

DraneDC5

Thanks for all the responses guys..good to know there's plenty of support if needed and I'm sure you guys will here from me again soon, thanks again.

Teila likes this.
  17. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Agree, even for an experienced 3D artist.
    Since were giving opinions about 3D apps, I'll give mine as well. Go for 3D Max if you can. Easiest of them all.
    But Maya and/or blender may be more comfortable if your more of a programmer type mind.
    Welcome @DraneDC5, Good luck with your learning, See you next year! :)

Teila likes this.
  18. DraneDC5

DraneDC5

What auto desk 3ds max?

19. Ness

Ness

I've once tried 3dsmax and Maya, but when I realized those do not have free orthographic view option I insta-uninstalled both and went back to Blender :]

20. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yes easiest commercial 3D package of them all.... I guess that's why they charge so much for it!! o_O

@Ness I'm pretty sure your thinking about another 3D application, maybe you had a bad install or been given incorrect information - considering the first time you open 3D Max it's default viewport layout is 3 standard orthographic views and one perspective view.

All viewports in Max are orthographic except the perspective viewport and default camera viewports. And even the cameras can be changed to orthographic by a simple check mark.
    You may be thinking about Maya only, but I believe it's view options are similar to Max which are standard orthographic views as well as perspective if you choose to use that.

21. Ness

Ness

I'm talking about FREE orthographic view, not fixed. Like in Unity where you can by just one click switch camera view type. I googled that when I installed and I found that you need to install some plugin to enable that. But I spent only a few days with autodesk software so maybe I missed something.

22. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yeah - it's cool - you missed it.
    Google gave you bad info, but that happens.
    There are no fixed views in Max. Select any viewport and hold down alt-left click and you have total 'free' control.
    Hot key for changing any perspective or orthographic view to free orthographic is 'U' it's called user view. Orthographic views are left, front, right, etc. etc. and user view.
    It's cool though, Blenders one big master viewport had me orbiting around upside down and backwards the first couple hours I messed with it. Thankfully Unity's was a bit more forgiving. :)
    Same setup as Maya - I think. Haven't used Maya in over a year.