Search Unity

NEW Genesis 3D Engine / Unity's RIP OFF!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JackyNorris, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackyNorris

JackyNorris

Hey guys,

My name is Jacky, I am currently a student in game design. For the past few months I have been researching different game engines for a school project that I'm working on. Recently I came upon a game engine called Genesis3D and I feel I should come to the forums and let people know more about it because it seems to be one of the biggest rip offs I have seen in a while
    Here is their website:

http://www.genesis-3d.com.cn/index.html

I have downloaded Genesis3D and I have found that is strikingly similar to Unity:eek:. The UI, the choice of color, navigation, materials, etc... everything seems like a copy of Unity. Strangely, the top toolbar and some of the icons appear to be of those also found in Crytek as well.

I have also included a screen shot of both engines compared side by side
    [ $Genesis_screenShot.jpg

Also there is a link to download their engine if anyone to corroborate what I found:

http://www.genesis-3d.com.cn/download.html

The company that "developed" this engine seems to be Chinese. I decided to do some more research on this engine and I also found another game engine called Genesis3D, which appears to be the real deal:eek:

http://www.genesis3d.com/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  2. Paparakas

Paparakas

If your claims are true, then that's infuriating. Good find! This would definitely be an interesting assessment.

3. JackyNorris

JackyNorris

Yeah... and it seems like they went out as far as releasing it as Open source. I just researched a bit more and it looks like they are having a public release. Check the comparison of both engines too!:eek:

$Genesis_screenShot.jpg
    $Genesis3d_release_01.jpg

4. dxcam1

dxcam1

It's not gonna get any ground outside of china so it doesn't matter.

5. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

It looks decent at least. :p

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Oh my god it's a sincere use of "DEY TUK R JAAAAAABS"

7. JackyNorris

JackyNorris

According to google translation of their site

Genesis-3D Sohu company hundreds of people from the engine development team took four years to independent research and development cost of $ 30 million, is home to the first commercial open source 3D game engine platform. It includes cross-platform rendering engine, 2D engine, physics engine, sound system, particle systems, animation systems, server engine, game design tools, including complete development and operation and maintenance tool chain, is a game suitable for all types of research and development of integrated game development platform.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T

Since, I am no technical expert, I have no idea how much of the "under the hood" stuff, ie the underlying software code is ripped of from Unity.

However, judging only from the screenshots, the UI does mimic Unity's

I don't think in the case of game engine though, simple ripoffs will work just as good as the original. Game Engines are complex pieces of software requiring competent dedicated staff to develop and maintain. If these people do have that kind of staff, its kind of silly that they would be blindly be trying to copy Unity.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, the crown jewel in Unity's chest is its Asset Store, the amount of work that has gone into setting it up and maintaining it. I don't think it will be easy to replicate that

9. Devilbox-Games

Devilbox-Games

I saw the thread title and initially thought it was talking about the other Genesis3D which is linked at the bottom of the OP's post. I remember playing with that engine a decade ago, it was quite ahead of it's time for an open source engine back then. I had no idea it was still around.

Sad to see it's name being pilfered by an engine which, on the surface, seems to be copying Unity.

10. ZJP

ZJP

11. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

ROFL

12. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  13. Devilbox-Games

Devilbox-Games

So I said "on the surface" and "seems" because that I had only seen the one comparison pic in the OP and it was a rather small picture. After seeing those I'll rephrase the statement: Sad to see it's name being pilfered by an engine which is blatantly ripping off Unit ;).

14. Amon

Amon

Downloading now. It's about 260mb. If it fits my bill I'll use it. Unless of course it turns out to be unity source code that's been ripped off.

I don't even know why I'm bothering seeing as it's china who give less of a cowpat regarding copyright than Russia does.

15. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Well whatever the case may be, the About page is completely AWESOME! (at least the google translated version is)
    Thank you Wyatt!

16. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Hmmm this is interesting: (from their white paper):
    $Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 8.05.12 AM.png

17. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Those dirty commies

18. DaneC020

DaneC020

That is amazing... So they forgot to cleanup some of the Unity references and posted it on their website... It is shameful this stuff happens but I am sure it is not the only one. Only Unity knows their product and can continue to upgrade and support it with new features with the roadmaps they have in mind. So regardless, if the source is there it will only be as good as the version they ripped. Hopefully Unity can do something to shut them down.

-Dane

19. ZJP

ZJP

In China?!. Dream on. :)

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

All hail Wyatt Earp, pioneer of the east and west.

21. SmellyDogs

SmellyDogs

It looks different to me.

22. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

23. GamehubDev

GamehubDev

Hmm 30 millions to create this..... That's crazy!

I might download genesis3d anyway.... (Dont worry, I'm always on unity's side!)

-GamehubDev

24. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

I would have assumed that it was hacked and modded, except that it's open source and it would be easily verified by unity.. Although there isn't much unity could do about it in China I suppose.

Even if they did hack it, it's a good strategy that they have used before. It's a great way of pushing foreign competition out of the largest market in the world, reducing the outflow of capital and redirecting it to home grown carbon copies. That's how you boost your own industries. Protectionism.

not YET. 1.3 billion people is a huge market, if you can cut out competition and create a monopoly then you can pump a lot of money into development. Open source is an interesting choice as well, they're trying to get users to develop the engine by submitting their engine mods under license agreement?

What references? Can't look at that fuzzy pic, makes my head hurt.

25. Pix10

Pix10

Argh you beat me to it. I was about to make a cowboy joke but I've lost the will now.

26. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

View attachment 75589

Attached Files:

27. Amon

Amon

It may not even be hacked code. Source Licenses are available to those with big pockets. Evidently what I think has happened is some big spender purchased the source license thinking "Hey, I now have the unity source, who wants for $$$$$?". This big spender probably cleverly avoided being found out, i.e. real identity, and well, the rest is history.

There is always an inherent danger of this happening when source licenses are available for purchase. I would go as far as to say that the Unity guys probably anticipated this. I guess it's like every Level/Type of piracy in that "there's nowt ye can do bout it laddie"....

28. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

29. mokko6

mokko6

Tech companies in China have more NDA source code and hardware schematics than what they know what to do with.
    Enough source code/schematics for companies like NVIDIA to turn down a very lucrative opportunity with a company located there.

30. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

That's pretty sneaky... but, they can't offer a lower price than Unity Free, so what do they offer?

Plus, they need to build a community, which is the biggest life savior in the entire universe... when you have a question, and need someone around with the answer.. Unity has that, like every time. Any question, BAM someone asked it before, and someone answered it.

I don't think it's time to learn Chinese... English still has like 5 years, AT LEAST! :p

31. Kinos141

Kinos141

You know you're doing something right when ppl copy you.

32. Venged

Venged

This makes me angry! I hope this does not hurt Unity. I wish we could use some Drones to stop them:)

So far Unity has the best Indie Engine and Community around out of all others I tried before settling on Unity.

That fake Genisis3D Engine is just terrible. Just terrible.

I hope Unity can sue them. I know it is hard because it happening in the Populate the world rip off everything capitol of world.

33. im

im

no alternative to unity asset store

no c# (no support for other managed language)

associated with company/people behind WildTangent spyware

i think i'll pass ;)

34. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Usually source licenses have very restrictive agreements. I have no idea what the specifics are for Unity, but I would guess that it specifically excludes the option to simply resell it as a competing game engine. (I would hope)

35. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

If Genesis 3D is open-source... does that mean that a modified version of the Unity source is now available to the public? This seems far worse than them simply making a rip-off.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  36. SevenBits

SevenBits

If this is based on Unity, and it looks like that may be a possibility, then Unity needs to act sooner rather than later. Due to China's nature as both a Communist country (in name only) and as a nation that balks at copyright and loves stealing trade secrets, as soon as this gains any traction the Chinese will intervene and try to prevent Unity from suing this company. Then, as has been the fate of other technology products, Beijing will likely block access to Unity within China as a protectionist measure to force use of this infringed engine.

This is a growing problem. Unity needs to look into this and act sooner rather than later. Time is not on their side if this is infringement.

37. mgear

mgear

38. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

We are aware of this engine and of course have a team of people in China. Thanks for everyone's concern and kind words about Unity, the original and best.

39. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Thats strange, same editor, same skyboxes. I kind of agree with dream_scholzara. the engine must be a modified version of unity because of its similarities to unity with same editor same skyboxes, same graphics. Its probably the unity engine with everything modified to there needs, well I hope unity will stop them before anything gets worse. Ugh dammit, i hate copiers. Everything is about competition. This forum should be remained active so unity can see it and get a heads up.

40. Frostbite23

Frostbite23

Zombiegorilla i guess they built there own engine into of unity and changed the GUI and UI elements on the engine.

and the particle editor has the same variables as unity's

41. SevenBits

SevenBits

You're welcome, best of luck in dropping the hammer. Show them what Unity's all about!

42. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

$UnityTeam.jpg

43. im

im

lol that is so funny :)

44. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Actually, it looks like all they did was package that editor extension with it. The structure of their "GUI" is not only identical to MyGUI, but if you look at their example the base class is even called MyGUI.

45. im

im

i think the title is a bit misleading / alarmist / exaggeration / etc

its all fun in games i guess and fun to rehash

still even if the ui looks a little similar does not mean its the same

think word processors, spreedsheets, etc look the same, but are not the same

even visual studio, sharp develop, eclipse share many similarities, but are not the same

even if the api are similar, i mean wine runs / supports win32 api as can be seen that it supports/runs many windows application under linux, but its not win32 and microsoft has not shut them down...

they could have written it from scratch... not using unity engine...

and we really dont have way of knowing what is going on behind the scenes...

i also dont think that china/chinese could easily have created it on their own. its sort of racist to think otherwise.

and as far as copying / movement of ideas if one knows a little bit of western/eastern history one knows that its been happening for many thousands of years...

46. carking1996

carking1996

We see them using unity directly! There's no question!

47. im

im

48. im

im

i find this statement a bit offensive, sort of xenophobic. plus its factually not correct. in a way this whole thread im thinking more and more is noise. unless ive looked in wrong place i looked at api and posting and i dont see that its same product. could someone provide the links that show it is

49. carking1996

carking1996

Here it is.

50. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

so unity is a rip off for unreal engine because it use shaders? and a rip of visual studio because it use c#?
    this post is just a bunch of xenophoby against China, if it were an other country in europe you would not even think to cry for a rip because it have same features that most of engine have too

So? MyTarget, MyFunction, hello world..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.