Search Unity

New Generic Level Generator - Community Thoughts

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by DaphydTheBard, May 2, 2012.

1. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Hi All

I have started work on a new, generic level generator - since my $10 basic generator is proving to be one of my best selling assets on the unity store (which I must admit, I was quite surprised about!)

My plan is to consolidate the various features I have implemented in my existing suite of generators, and create a generic (i.e. not tied to any particular set), all-singing, all-dancing level generator.

I have a lot of ideas for ways in which my previous products can be improved and made more useful. While I am at still at an early stage of development, and nothing is yet set in stone, I thought I would throw this out to the community, and see what kind of features or improvements people would like to see.

For example, I am thinking about implementing a system for room "themes". Rather than the generator simply picking a random prefab from a list dependant on room size, I think it would be useful if you could have a list of different room types, and then specify which ones you want (and maybe how many of each).

I want to generalise the generator in such a way that it is not limited to fantasy/dungeon levels either. For example, why not have a generator that, based on settings, textures and prefabs, is just as capable of producing a hospital, research station, underground bunker, house interior, hotel, etc?

This way you can have the core generator system, and then extend it with plugins (which could be code add-ons, texture/model packs, etc).

Anyway. If anyone wants to contribute their ideas for what they would love to see in an interior level generator, please let me know on this thread, and I will take everything posted here into consideration, and post updates as the system progresses.

Thanks

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

It sounds pretty cool. I think many Indie developers need to be thinking about procedural content/level generation because they just don't have enough time and resources to hand-create lots of levels, unless you want to spend months/years doing it. With procedural routines you can come up with some interesting stuff and once you get `the algorithm` working well to create interesting gameplay you can create a tonne of it quite easily. The hard part is always in getting it to output interesting enviornments with interesting gameplay potential and not too much repetition and good pacing etc.

3. gunga

gunga

Do you have a link to your $10 basic generator please?

4. kenlem

kenlem

Have a look at how the Fallout 3 editor uses "kits". Each kit has a particular theme and contains corners, straight sections and other parts that can be snapped together to quickly create a level.

5. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard