Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New Game 'Sheep!'

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by VitalSignsStudios, Mar 14, 2012.

1. VitalSignsStudios

VitalSignsStudios

Hey guys,

For the past month of so I've been working on a new game called Sheep!. I plan on having it be a lemmings style platformer but rather than all the usual buttons (stop/climb/dig/etc.) I will just have the function of drawing platforms/ramps for your sheep to utilize in order to make it to safety. I have gotten all the basics done and will post a game play video either tonight or tomorrow and hopefully get a web playable version up soon just for testing purposes. I haven't done much level design as of yet. I've just been focusing on the playability and base functionality of the game.

I plan on releasing it on iOS first and then gauging from its popularity will move to the Android market. The iOS market seems to be the most profitable from the research I've done so far.

Now with out any further adue I would like to direct you to the blog page for Sheep!. I will be posting all updates on there along with monitoring the forums :). Thanks for checking it out!

http://www.sheepgame.blogspot.com/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. VitalSignsStudios

VitalSignsStudios

Hey guys, I just posted a new video of the game's progress on the blog page. All critiques and comments are welcome! I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

http://sheepgame.blogspot.com/

3. ivanzu

ivanzu

Nice idea,but you should improve the graphics.

4. TBYG

TBYG

I didn't really see anything wrong with the graphics.

Good job, looks like it will be a blast for the kids.

5. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Max and the magic marker!
    Nice little game, improvements on the visuals will help its success alot, maybe you could add limitation to the 'pens' usage.

6. VitalSignsStudios

VitalSignsStudios

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I will be putting a limit on how much the user can draw. Like if they only draw a certain amount then they can get a gold star vs silver star for drawing more, etc. As far as the visuals go I've tried to keep it as low a poly as possible so that phones can support it without getting bogged down. Do you think I should push the poly limit up? Right now everything is under 350 polys or so. It was actually difficult to model everything so low as I am a visual effects artist and love high poly :)

7. ironbelly

ironbelly

Yea, great to see! I love these lemmings style games and I also mirror the commment that the graphics seem just fine and dandy for what it is especially considering it's an alpha build

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

Hehe nice :D
    Like the art style.

9. VitalSignsStudios

VitalSignsStudios

Thanks for the interest guys! I have just made a new GUI that I'm trying to figure out how to implement. I've made the buttons and everything in photoshop and put a mock-up of it on the blog.

Check it out: http://sheepgame.blogspot.com/

10. SirScriptAlot

SirScriptAlot

Looks good! I like the idea of limiting the pen usage! Think that would add a nice bit of difficulty to the gameplay. Idea is awesome though.

Keep up the good work!

11. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Nice game graphics, although your banner throws it off and makes it look fairly amateur. the game it self looks great visually and mechanically, just first glance is not too appealing :)

Model wireframes and textures are real purdy! really.
    Great work
    -Charlie

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  12. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

The in-game graphics look fine to me...my only critique would be the sheep might be a tad lighter? I dunno they looked dark to me, but that's only my personal opinion. I think the menu graphics...like the main splash menu, could use just a tad polish on the illustrations. Overall it's a great concept and I think you're right there with the poly count, considering it is a mobile platform.

13. VitalSignsStudios

VitalSignsStudios

Thanks guys! I'm loving the feed back. I've modified the banner for now. I've been told the banner sucked a few times so I went with what I learned in school, and that is that simplicity is the key! So here is my new banner :) (see the first post).

I've been working on the GUI the past few days. I've managed to integrate iTween to make the score go up gradually rather than just instantly changing. I've also added stars into the level that only the black sheep can get (the jumping guy). Also, I've made it so that you can pause/slow down/speed up the game. In case there is a long level and the drawings are already marked they player can just speed it up and finish it quicker.

I have a ton of work ahead of me and as this is my first venture into the world of programming I've got a lot to learn! Thankfully I have such a great community to help me through! Thanks for all of the words of encouragement and the critiques! I take everything you guys say into consideration:)

14. SirScriptAlot

SirScriptAlot

New Banner looks much better! Really clean and nice :)

All the new features sound great also! If you get stuck with any scripting, drop me a message and I'll be glad to help out. :)

Keep going with this game, I can see it getting somewhere!

Aaron

15. Patapouffe

Patapouffe

I like it ! Actually the music from the video is really neat ! It sounds similar in style to the tracks used for the show "Just for Laughs Gags" so I had a smile on my face the whole time I was watching. I think the kids will love this game.

16. Barsedane

Barsedane

What do you think of a game idea forum?

17. SirScriptAlot

SirScriptAlot

Not the best idea as I think it will turn in to a place where people go to steal other peoples ideas.

18. Patapouffe

Patapouffe

Ideas alone are worth nothing until they are shown to be profitable. They will be stolen only after someone puts it in their game and people see it is successful.

19. VitalSignsStudios

VitalSignsStudios

Unfortunately I just found a game on iOS which plays almost exactly like this :( Its a free game that was made by some college students. I don't want to risk a lawsuit or anything so I'm going to scrap the drawing component for now and just do the platform for this game. I will put the drawing in my next game since I already have all the code put in place. Sad day indeed.

20. devMidgard

devMidgard

Looks nice!

Continue with that work!