Search Unity

new free unity complete project by...unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by getafix99, Feb 11, 2013.

1. getafix99

getafix99

2. Toasttify

Toasttify

Oh wow the first part is out, I've been excited for this since I heard about it and saw the few screenshots they had.

These kind of projects are incredibly helpful since we can reuse all the assets and logic to help create a new game.

3. wccrawford

wccrawford

OMG. I hope this means the tuts are just around the corner. This is going to be awesome!

Edit: Oh, it says they hope to launch it end of March. Still, exciting!

4. macdude2

macdude2

What is the new learning project? Is there more information about it somewhere?

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

There was a blog post about it not long ago.

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Ive been after some robot arms.

excellent

7. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Is it possible that this (or a stripped down version) could end up being the default Unity bundle instead of Angry Bots? It'd be pretty great if Unity shipped with its own teaching tools right off the bat.

8. Tanel

Tanel

It won't start downloading for me, just stays at 0%. Anyone else with the same problem?

EDIT: Okay might be a false alarm, the download's at 1% now. Seems like it's just incredibly slow at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. lockbox

lockbox

I downloaded it successfully. Crashed on first import - out of resources - lol. Then I reopened Unity and it was fine. Just had to re-import one thing.

Lots of eye candy, but only three simple scripts. It's essentially a sound stage with a few animated props. ;)

I'm anxious to see what the tutorials will be like. Is it beginner to intermediate, or intermediate to advanced.

10. dtg108

dtg108

11. SevenBits

SevenBits

Now how'd I miss this?

12. cynel

cynel

its not playable at all.

13. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Awesome , unity is actually going to make more tutorials

14. Nubz

Nubz

And I seriously doubt the intention ever was to give you a free game to play

15. macdude2

macdude2

The only problem I see with this is that now programming and unity are going to be too easy to learn so us knowledgable people will have to work that much harder to make apps that stand out from the rest... (kidding, kidding) But I am actually really looking forward to all of this. I hope they have an awesome section on shaders because it is almost impossible to find tutorials and lessons on these.

16. scarpelius

scarpelius

I am looking at Astrella char and I see she have an cylinder collider. I am not aware of this type of collider and I don't see it on component/physics menu.

Edit: nvm is not a normal collider, is a NavMesh Obstacle

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  17. ZJP

ZJP

Yeah, it's gone.
    @UT, can we use these asset in a personal commercial project?

JP

18. wccrawford

wccrawford

I'm guessing they'd allow it, but I have to say that using the models in a commercial product would be tacky and your players *would* find out. I really don't recommend it.

19. wccrawford

wccrawford

It's not supposed to be. The whole point is to create the game ourselves! There will be tutorials that go along with it, but you're encourage to play around with it, too.

20. subzul

subzul

Looks awesome, cant wait to look into it.

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's always been OK to use the assets from the Unity demos in your projects. Personally, I don't think it's tacky either. Time is limited, reuse what you can. No use pretending to be a big studio, and handcrafting everything - you'll never get done.

22. cynel

cynel

there's this bug Assets/Scripts/Rotator.cs(4,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `Rotator'

23. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

How do I play Robot Lab game?

24. Silberpfeile

Silberpfeile

looks really awesome!!!!!:p shoot!

25. BigB

BigB

Just pick up the shotgun that is behind the crate, and start shooting when the zombies enter trough the door

26. Nubz

Nubz

you imported it twice somehow
    delete one of them

27. cynel

cynel

well im going back to making a prototype cause there's no playable demo in this package.

28. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback so far. To give some background to those of you who appear to be flailing wildly!

This project is a beta of the environment we'll give away for the tutorial area launching end of March. It's not got anything playable in it, its purely assets and a fly through at the moment because we're intending you guys to follow tutorials to make lots of cool stuff happen in this environment. It isn't intended as an angry bots example level - though we do have one of those on the way to, so to reiterate, the idea with the new tutorial area is that you'll get -

- Lessons (short 2-8minute reference videos with no steps to follow)
    - Assignments (slightly longer tutorial videos with steps to follow to make simple game mechanics)
    - Projects (large game level examples that you follow steps to create - expect long more traditional linear tutorials here)

I hope that this varied approach will account for a variety of learning styles and deliver something for everyone. Keep an eye on the blog for more info!

29. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Sounds like you've duplicated the script, as its suggesting you already have a class with that name in the project.. and I'm fairly sure we don't. Is that the case?