Search Unity

New features from GDC

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Rowlan, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

Is there any information about the new features regarding terrain tools? It doesn't make any sense to implement anything if in the end it will turn out that Unity will come up with it. I just read this as issue on the terrain tools samples github:

Sorry for opening an issue for this, but I couldn't find information elsewhere. At GDC Unity showcased a lot of terrain features including hydraulic/thermal/wind erosion brushes as included in 2019.1, but they are nowhere to be seen in the public 2019.1 beta so I'm assuming they might be distributed in some repository or package. Since this repository has received no updates in six months, I'm assuming those features are distributed elsewhere - could someone point me in the right direction?

So doing anything erosion like is a waste of time. Is there more information about which other features will be coming?

( Excitement! :D )

2. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

I should check on that issue!

Someone asked about this on the 2019.1 beta forum so I will post my response and here is a link to the thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same. Don't use this as an official roadmap or timeline. Still wanted to give you all an idea of what to expect since we've now talked about it publicly. Many things are still very much in the works, especially for the layering system.

New brushes in 2019.1 and 2019.2:
    We are currently looking at distributing these through Package Manager (some details still need to be worked out). If on Package Manager, this would be an experimental/preview package that will extend upon the Terrain Tools Samples we released late last year and will come with two updates in 2019.1 and 2019.2, described below:

2019.1:
    These updates focus on height-based painting and better painting workflows. This includes erosion and noise tools along with brush shortcuts and SceneView brush controls. We have also been working on an Editor Window that you can use to modify multiple Terrains and apply texture data to multiple Terrains.​

2019.2:
    We plan on adding material brushes.​

2019.3:
    2020 and beyond:
    New layering workflow for modifying and building Terrain. Non-destructive, fast-iteration times.

I'll change "exactly like Photoshop" to "similar to Photoshop" haha. Again, still in the works

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Rowlan and hippocoder like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Exactly like PS is like-PS, not exactly like PS! sheesh!