Search Unity

[New Feature Request?] New InputSystem Keyboard KeyUp on iOS 13+

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Ascanio1980, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Ascanio1980

Ascanio1980

Hello there!

Abstract: Unity could use Keyboard KeyDown and KeyUp events for iOS 13+, instead of Keyboard Shortcuts!

Unity's new Input System listens to keystrokes on iOS by using Keyboard Shortcuts. This is an extremely limited implementation that suffers from a lack of proper KeyUp events: from what I understand they need to be timed out.

This means that repeated key strokes will be "debounced" (when happening within about half a second).

There is a way to listen to each key stroke and that is by using:
    keyboard.onTextInput += new Action<char>(MyCallBackFunction);

-- but -- this also doesn't work completely... arrow keys will trigger a long series of events, for each character in the phrase "UIInputKeyUp".... instead of a single char code for the arrow key.

Now, by looking at the following web page, it seems that a new, much better implementation could be integrated:
    https://www.swiftbysundell.com/tips/handling-keyup-and-keydown-events/

AcidArrow likes this.
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

At the current rate of one non preview release per year for the input package, I think there is a good chance your feature request will be implemented sometime in the next decade. Look forward to it.

3. glangor

glangor

Yep, I'm suffering from this now, all I want to do is have the user type letters in iOS and have them come up. Not a complex task you'd think. The new input system doesn't detect the keystrokes at all. The legacy one does, but fails to detect a repeated press of one key within half a second of the last. Anyone who types with more than one finger does it quicker than that, so the keypress is dropped, it's very frustrating.

Would there be a way to edit the code in the generated xcode project to use this? The file:

Build Folder\Classes\UI\UnityView+Keyboard.mm

is the one that does the timeout/debouncing, but I'm no Objective-C++ person. Anyone know how we'd do it?

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The rate of releases has increased since my post last year, so my new prediction is that you might have to wait only 3 more years until a basic feature is implemented.