Search Unity

Official New FBX Exporter in 2017.2

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by ans_unity, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cocosesamo

cocosesamo

Hi, Viktoria!

Sure, here is the screenshots of the curves in 60fps and 25fps. By the moment, I dind't found a solution for this issue...

curves_25.jpg curves_60.jpg

Thanks!

Best,

Pablo

vkovec likes this.
  2. cocosesamo

cocosesamo

Hi again!

I have another issue... The version in Asset Store is 1.3.0f1, and when it's installed, Unity says me that the version is 1.2.0b1. It seems that it's effectively an old version, cause the Maya integration has lost two options:

version.jpg

For the moment, I will continue working on 1.3.0b3 version that is uploaded on OwnCloud.

Thanks!

Pablo

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  3. vkovec

vkovec

Unity Developer - FBX Exporter

Hi Pablo,

That's strange. Maybe try updating it by downloading it again from the Download Manager.

upload_2018-5-8_9-22-59.png

Let me know if this doesn't work.

Best,
    Viktoria

Attached Files:

4. vkovec

vkovec

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for sending the screenshots! So it does seem that the issue is with the loss of tangent information with lower fps.
    This would need to be fixed in both the recorder and exporter.

Unfortunately I don't have a good fix for you besides recording with higher fps to reduce the curve error, and then resampling in a different software.

Best,
    Viktoria

5. mstevenson

mstevenson

Fantastic, thanks! I'm glad it ended up being relatively straightforward issue. I've created an AssetPostProcessor and this is working well.

6. cocosesamo

cocosesamo

Hi, Viktoria!

Updating from the Download manager, the last version is working!

Thanks!

Pablo

vkovec likes this.
  7. Visual73

Visual73

Ciao,

la versione di fbxExporter_1.3.0b3 con quale versione dell'unità e Maya possono essere utilizzate?

Potrei richiedere un video che mostri la procedura di installazione?

Thank you!

8. vkovec

vkovec

Hi Visual73,

FBX Exporter 1.3.0b3 works with Unity 2017.3 and later. There is also a newer version available on the Asset Store (version 1.3.0f1), which is also compatible with Unity 2017.3 and later.

Maya and Maya LT versions 2017 and 2018 are supported.

Click here to see a video showing the installation process.

This video and other workflow videos are also available on the Asset Store page.

Best,
    Viktoria

9. Visual73

Visual73

Hello,

I would like to understand exactly the exact steps to start the interaction from Maya to Unity with the fbx exporter 1.3.0b3 package.
    In my case, I'm only interested in Maya for Unity and not in Unity in Maya.

1- I have a scene in Maya with three cubes.
    We export the three cubes with EXPORT SELECTION to a folder called FBX, created by me in the path of my Unity project (photo number 1)
    Is the rescue path correct? or should I save the file in the installation path of the fbx exporter package?

2- In Unity, I add the fbx saved in maya, dragging it to the Hierarchy window. (photo number 2)

3- In Unity, I export the cubes with EXPORT TO FBX in the FBX folder created above, to the saving path of my project. (number of photos 3-4). I click on Overwrite.
    At this stage, do I need to convert to Prefab Instance before exporting?

4- Return to Maya and add the last file saved in Unity with FILE-UNITY-IMPORT.
    (image number 5)

5- Delete the three cubes originally created (photo number 6)

6- Insert new objects into the scene
    and place them in cube_Unityexportset (image number 7)

7- File- Unity- Export

Maya objects in Unity (final picture)

What am I doing wrong in this flow?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

10. Visual73

Visual73

The remaining photos: 6 - 7 - final picture, I'm here.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

11. roryo

roryo

Just 10th-ing the motion for runtime export. ;)

Imagine a runtime modeling app made with Unity, such as the SpaceshipShop demo with Archimatix and, after configuring your spaceship, being able to save as FBX, send to 3D printer, etc.

Archimatix 2018-05-15_06-28-25_PM.jpg

rwgames68 and vkovec like this.
  12. miniduck

miniduck

Any plans to release for linux as well?

13. vkovec

vkovec

Hi Visual73,

Most of your steps are exactly right. Number 3, reexporting the fbx from Unity, is not necessary. Instead you can do right click > "Convert To Linked Prefab Instance" on the model that you added to the scene to create a prefab that will automatically update when your fbx changes on disk.

Here are the complete steps for setting up the integration between Unity and Maya for an FBX starting in Maya (the majority will be the same as yours):

1. open Maya scene, select 3 cubes, then run "File > Unity > Export" or "File > Export Selection" to export fbx into your Unity project. The benefit in this case of using File > Unity > Export is that the file browser will open directly into your Unity project.

You saved to the correct path. Any path in your Unity Assets folder is good, however I don't recommend saving to the Fbx Exporter package installation path as this could cause data loss when updating the package.

2. In Unity, drag the fbx into the Hierarchy window (same as your step 2)

3. Right click on the fbx in the Hierarchy window, and select "Convert to Linked Prefab Intance..."

upload_2018-5-17_12-32-47.png

A window will pop up asking you to convert. You can choose the path and name of the linked prefab that will be created.

upload_2018-5-17_12-33-42.png

Note: Normally this would export the fbx and create a prefab, however since you are converting a model instance in the scene, only the prefab will be created.

4. In Maya, import the fbx with File > Unity > Import. You can either delete your original models as you did, or save the original and import into a new scene.

5. Add new objects to the scene and place them in the UnityExportSet

6. (Optional) Add the new objects into the same namespace as the other objects in the UnityExportSet.

You can do this by selecting the new objects and opening the namespace editor (Windows > General Editors > Namespace Editor)

upload_2018-5-17_12-39-4.png

This is to help group the objects for export together and avoid name clashes. You might have also noticed that in the exported file a ":" is added in front of objects that are in the root namespace. This is a side effect of removing the namespace from the object name on export, and is a bug that we plan to fix. Moving the objects into the same namespace as the other objects in the set will resolve this issue in the meantime.

7. Select either the UnityExportSet or any object(s) in the set and click File > Unity > Export to export everything in the set back to Unity

8. Continue adding/modifying items in the UnityExportSet and exporting, and they will keep updating in Unity

Let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any issues with this workflow. I'd be happy to get your feedback.

Best,
    Viktoria

14. vkovec

vkovec

Hi miniduck,

Yes we have plans to release for Linux in the future.

Best,
    Viktoria

15. miniduck

miniduck

Thanks Viktoria, that's good to hear

Any ideas when this might happen, can we expect a beta package for during 2018.2 beta?

16. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

request fbx exporter for 2017.1.0 pls

17. barkest

barkest

Using Maya 2018 get the following error:

unityCommands.mel line 25: Failed to find Unity Fbx Export Settings at: 0

18. vkovec

vkovec

I'm sorry I don't have an estimate for you at the moment.

19. vkovec

vkovec

Hi OP3NGL,

You can download the FBX Exporter package (version 1.3.0b3) here. It has all the same features as the latest asset store package, except the documentation is slightly out of date.

The majority of the features should work in Unity 2017.1.0, except for Timeline animation clip export which is known to be broken in 2017.1. This is part of the reason we do not support 2017.1.0. The other reason is that 2017.3 and 2017.4 are the long-term support releases, and Unity recommends upgrading projects to these.

Best,
    Viktoria

20. vkovec

vkovec

Hi barkest,

Which version of the FBX Exporter did you use to install the Maya integration?

Could you also please send me the following:

- Your Unity editor log after installing the Maya integration

This file can be found at the following location, depending on your OS:

macOS: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Editor.log
    Windows: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log

- The Maya script editor log after installing the Maya integration

The script editor can be found at: Windows > General Editors > Script Editor. Copying the log from the script editor window should be sufficient.

Thank you,
    Viktoria

21. barkest

barkest

Thanks Viktoria,

I believe the mistake was mine. I had Maya open and then ran the Install Unity Integration and went to the open Maya rather than the one that was opened by Unity. Once I used the one opened by Unity it was fine.

The problem I have now is that the materials are imported and I use Materials > Extract Textures I cannot assign the texture to the imported material?

thank you

(I guess I use Maya that has been opened by Unity when I run the Install Unity Integration?)

22. Visual73

Visual73

Hi, vKovec

Yes,
    the settings described by you have worked great.

I have some last questions to ask for clarifications:

1- Can I save the Prefab in a folder created by me (Prefab) within Asset in my unit project? (Prefab path Save- image)
    Is the path correct or should I save it elsewhere?

2- Can I continue the interaction from Maya to Unity, after having saved and reopened the Maya and Unity projects? Where should I save Maya and Unity's projects to do it without errors?

3- In which folder should the native Fbxexporter file downloaded from the forum be inserted, to avoid the continuous import of the package once a new project has been opened?
    In the saved projects I have no problems, because the package is recognized automatically, but in the creation of a new project I always have to insert it.

4- I am managing the materials directly in Unity and not with the Maya and Unity plugin.
    To avoid that the textures are not recognized after saving and reopening the Unity project, should the graphs be saved in a folder that I created (Material) within Asset in my Unity project? (Save material- image)
    is the rescue path correct?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

23. vkovec

vkovec

Ah good catch, glad you found the problem :). In the future I would recommend closing all instances of Maya before installing.

Did you extract the materials as well?

If not the problem could be that the material is still part of the fbx. In order to modify the imported material, you should also do Materials > Extract Materials. This will create modifiable copies of the material in Unity for you.

Yes, and once you have installed it once, you don't need to install it again. It will work on all instances of Maya that you open after installing.

Best,
    Viktoria

24. vkovec

vkovec

That's great glad to hear it :)

1. Yes you can save the prefab anywhere in your Unity project as long as the path is under Assets. You can also move it after you've saved it if you like

2. Yes you only need to install the integration once and every time you open or close Maya you can continue where you left off. The interaction will still be there. There isn't a particular location you need to save the projects to, any writeable location should work.

3. Unfortunately there currently isn't a way to install the FBX exporter package once and have it available in all your Unity projects. You will have to import it for each new Unity project.

4. Where are the textures currently saved that they are not recognized? I think that they should work as long as they are in your project.

Best,
    Viktoria

25. barkest

barkest

Hi Viktoria,

1. Each new Unity Project I need to download the FBX Exporter?
    2. If it is the first time I have used it then I close all instances of Maya and then chose Install Unity Integration
    3. Each time I re-visit the Unity project I chose Install Unity Integration but do not install it. Instead I choose 'Use Existing'.
    4. When Maya opens I open the corresponding Maya scene that relates to the Unity Scene and then I am good to go?
    5. After exporting from Maya I choose the model and then Extract Textures (in my case to a textures folder under assets). This then populates the model with textures. This works when I use a stingray shader?
    6. Do not extract the materials but leave them embedded so that you can round trip to maya?

thank you

26. vkovec

vkovec

Hi barkest,

1. Yes you will have to import it into each project you wish to use it in

2. yes exactly

3. You should not need to click "Install Unity Integration" the second time. You can open Maya right away and start using the File > Unity menu

4. Yes you can use a new scene or a saved scene. If you have a saved scene that you've already imported fbx files into, then you can continue to use the Unity > Import and one-click export on these objects as well.

5. Yes unless the textures were already in your Unity project and Maya was referencing these (in this case Unity should find and apply them for you). It should work with the Stingray shader.

Also, in order to embed textures using File > Unity > Export in Maya, you will need to modify the export settings found in the integration folder that you choose the location for when installing the Unity Integration. The file can be found at:

{install-path}\Integrations\Autodesk\maya\scripts\unityFbxExportSettings.mel

Change "false" to "true" in the following line to embed textures on export:

Code (csharp):
    2. FBXExportEmbeddedTextures -v false;
    6. Whether you extract the materials depends on what you would like to do. If you leave them embedded then when you modify the material and export it from Maya again it will automatically update it in your scenes and prefabs in Unity.
    If you extract the material then modify the material in Maya it will not update it in Unity, so you can instead edit the materials directly in Unity.

Best,
    Viktoria

27. barkest

barkest

Thank you Viktoria

I do everything correctly and when I extract the Textures I get the errors listed in the screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

28. layola

layola

why not opensource for this plugin?
    because we want to add some custom data to fbx.

29. barkest

barkest

Further to my last post. The error message on Extracting Textures is:

EndLayoutGroup: BeginLayoutGroup must be called first.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtilityr pocessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

No idea why it changed. Maybe a different model imported?

Also: it doubles up on my meshes

If I have 1 wall then two are in the prefab

30. vkovec

vkovec

Hi barkest,

Could you please send me the Unity editor log with these errors?

It can be found at the following path:

macOS: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Editor.log
    Windows: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log

Do you get the errors every time you extract textures from a model?

Could you please send the fbx and prefab causing this issue?

Thank you,
    Viktoria

31. vkovec

vkovec

Hi layola,

We plan to release with source soon with the Package Manager.

Best,
    Viktoria

32. barkest

barkest

Yes every single time without fail

Log attached

Attached Files:

33. barkest

barkest

Fbx attached

Attached Files:

34. vkovec

vkovec

Thank you! Could you please send the prefab for the house as well, or the steps to reproduce the issue?

Also, if possible a screenshot of the doubled up meshes.

35. barkest

barkest

There are no steps to reproduce. Just extract textures and the error happens every single time.

The prefab is 4.2mb. Is there somewhere I can post it as its too big for the forum

36. vkovec

vkovec

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant the steps to reproduce the prefab with the double meshes.

hmm..maybe google drive? Or would it be possible to copy the prefab and send a simplified version?

Alternatively, if you could send a screenshot of the double meshes and the steps to reproduce it, I could try to recreate the problem on my side.

37. barkest

barkest

Will do. Did the editor log explain the error message?

38. barkest

barkest

Hi Viktoria, so I solved the double-mesh issue with a reinstall of Maya and Unity. The error still happens in Unity - would be nice to get it solved - have you looked at it? thank you

39. vkovec

vkovec

Hi barkest,

Glad to hear you resolved the double mesh issue.

Yes we were able to reproduce the error on our side. It appears to be an issue with the model import UI on Mac (could not reproduce the error on Windows). We have notified the model importer team about this. I will let you know when I hear back.

Best,
    Viktoria

40. barkest

barkest

Hi Viktoria

For a round trip Maya > Unity > Maya ... I have to extract textures in Unity for the textures to be placed on the model. Once I do this then the textures are not in the prefab. So when I update from Maya I have to delete the existing textures because Extract Textures will create new textures.

Is this correct or is there a way to update the existing textures that have been extracted?

thanks

41. bpolley

bpolley

Hello,

Do you have a workflow for setting up Maya integration with assets that are hosted on a server? In our studio, artists create assets on their local machines and export them to our internal server, where developers can then import them.

We would like to use your FBX Exporter but it looks like manual integration involves pointing to a local Unity project folder. Can we instead point to a folder on our server with the shared fbx?

42. vkovec

vkovec

Hey,
    It's been confirmed that this is a bug with the importer. It has been logged and is safe to ignore.

43. vkovec

vkovec

Hi barkest,

Are you seeing missing materials, textures, or other issues if you don't replace the already exported textures?

It should be enough to extract the textures once. You should only need to extract them again if the textures themselves have changed.

If you are modifying the textures, then another option could be to instead modify the textures that are in the Unity Assets folder, and link the materials in Maya to point to the Unity textures instead. Then you wouldn't have to embed or extract them each time.

After extracting the textures, you can also turn off the embed texture export option to reduce the fbx size, as they are already in Unity.

Best,
    Viktoria

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  44. vkovec

vkovec

Hi bpolley,

Yes, it is possible to change the folder the Maya integration points to for import/export.

Here are the steps to take to set it up:

1. From a Unity project install the Maya integration as before

2. In Maya open the script editor (Windows > General Editors > Script Editor) and run the following command:

Code (csharp):
    2. optionVar -sv "UnityProject" "/path/to/internal/server"
    Where "/path/to/internal/server" is the desired import/export path.

Now when you click File > Unity > Import/Export, the dialog will open to the desired path.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Best,
    Viktoria

45. barkest

barkest

Hi Viktoria

I have no missing textures or materials - all is fine.

Yes the textures have changed. So the first time around I extract the textures. The textures then change back in Maya and I update the fbx in Unity. I now have a prefab with the updated textures and a set of textures outside of the prefab that have already been extracted. I then have to delete the originals to replace them with the news ones that have been extracted.

How do I link the materials/textures in Maya to point to the Unity textures? Is it just an export of the materials/textures to a Unity folder under Assets?

thank you Viktoria

46. supron

supron

I have a problem. FBX exporter sometimes loses information about submeshes (it produces FBX with one mesh instead of 2 or 3 submeshes). Is that known issue?

47. vkovec

vkovec

Hi barkest,

Here is the workflow I had in mind for modifying the materials in Maya to point to the Unity textures:

1. Export and extract the textures from Maya into Unity (as you are already doing)
    2. In Maya select the material and navigate to the texture

upload_2018-6-11_11-48-29.png

upload_2018-6-11_11-50-39.png

3. Change the path of the texture file to the one in the Unity project

upload_2018-6-11_11-47-44.png

Now if you modify the texture file that is in the Unity project, you can simply click reload in Maya and you will no longer need to embed and export the texture.

upload_2018-6-11_11-48-54.png

If this is not an option, then I believe the method you are currently using is the best way to update the texture.

Best,
    Viktoria

Attached Files:

barkest likes this.
  48. vkovec

vkovec

Hi supron,

Could you please send me the prefab or fbx you are trying to export as well as the exported fbx that loses submeshes?
    Or alternatively the steps to reproduce the issue?

Best,
    Viktoria

49. barkest

barkest

@vkovec

thank you for the help

vkovec likes this.
  50. supron

supron

I made small repro project. On the scene you have generated mesh with SkinnedMeshRenderer. It has two submeshes (red and blue). Just try to export it to FBX (without prefab, just simple export). Exported file will have only one submesh and matterial (blue).

Btw. I removed FBX exporter asset, because project was too large to upload.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.