Search Unity

Official New FBX Exporter in 2017.2

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by ans_unity, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

We are reworking our Unity FBX export window to make it more friendly. This would popup every time you export a Game Object to FBX. As you will see we can now also export animations:

upload_2018-2-28_15-29-46.png
    We have some questions if you are interested to participate:
    1. Do you think the workflow is too “heavy” if we always show you this window when you want to “Export To FBX…” a game object or a collection of game objects?
    2. Do you think some parameters are superfluous and would be annoying?
    3. What parameters you think are missing ?
    4. Would you prefer to have an easier (and more obvious) access to the Export “presets” (accessed as a normal preset through (1) ) because you’re just interested into which Preset to use to export your model instead of looking at all these parameters ?
    5. Anything else you would like to comment?
    Thanks!

2. Ritchie-J

Ritchie-J

Re: Export to FBX Options:-
    Yes, just give an option to show, if necessary.
    Not if option in 1. Is implemented.
    Suggest showing how the UV channel slots will be exported - with an option to change.
    Please refer to my previous post.
    Yes, once again as an option rather than the sole means of export.

ans_unity likes this.
  3. PendingFox

PendingFox

is this an editor only api? would nice to have it available in runtime as well.

4. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi PendingFox, not sure what you mean exactly. Are your referring to the API we use for the FBX export window? Would you like to do FBX export at runtime?

5. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So do you guys finally Properly support Joint Constraints on FBX Imports?????

6. markvi

markvi

I'm not sure what you mean by "Joint constraints", but starting with Unity 2018.1 we support import of Point, Orient, Scale, Aim and Parent constraints from FBX with behaviour identical to Maya and MotionBuilder.

7. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Sorry I should have been more clear. In maya we can limit joint rotations per axis and export them in FBX. Thus prevent thing like odd rotations of knee joints etc...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  8. Archviz3d

Archviz3d

Hi!
    I have a material that i tweaked the uv tiling and offset in unity,

upload_2018-3-9_15-58-58.png

but when i do the "Convert to linked prefab instance" (i do it in root gameobject called "123") the uv tiling and offset of that materialgets reset to 1, so this can be a problem because then i have to tweak it again inside of 3ds max or when after i import it again to unity, so its extra work that shouldnt be happening! Am i doing something wrong?
    upload_2018-3-9_16-0-9.png

But if i tweak the uv tiling and offset in 3ds max when i export it to unity, unity assigns the correct uv tiling and offset inside unity.

image that shows the tweaking im doing inside 3ds max to then export it back to unity
    upload_2018-3-9_16-3-39.png

in unity it gets reloaded with the correct proportion of texture and uv tiling/offset although the values arent the same as in 3ds max but it works!
    upload_2018-3-9_16-6-0.png

Is there anyway to do the "Convert to linked prefab instance" but make the materials not to reset its uv tiling and offset to 1 (if its not 1 of course)?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  9. PendingFox

PendingFox

Yeah I want to export my assets as fbx files at runtime, in a standalone build for example.

p.s. and import too lol not sure why we can't do that, cuz we can import assetbundles in runtime which contain the fbx files..

10. markvi

markvi

No, I checked with the Animation team and that's not possible right now. If you'd like to see this feature in a future Unity release, please post it on https://feedback.unity3d.com. Thanks!

11. manicd

manicd

I'm trying to export a warehouse scene that has lots of instanced or copied assets using the same name. For example, the floor is made of 6 meshes, all a copy of a single mesh and all labeled just floor in the scene.

When I export it and load it into 3ds max, the material only gets applied to one piece of the floor. Obviously I can manually apply the material the rest of the assets. But the warehouse is made with the same method for the walls, roof, girders, catwalks, stairs, and props.

I downloaded the free Scene OBJ exporter from the assetstore and this keeps all materials applied on export. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong with FBX export or if it's a bug related to the objects in my scene having duplicate names.

12. CyRaid

CyRaid

Where's the blender love you guys mentioned at the beginning? I tried to select the blender executable in the "3D Application" but it doesn't change it.

13. vkovec

vkovec

Unity Developer - FBX Exporter

Hi @Archviz3d,

This is indeed an issue with "Convert to Linked Prefab Instance".
    The reason you are seeing the loss of tiling is that after exporting, the material in your prefab is no longer the same Unity material you had assigned to the object.

Notice that the material options are greyed out after converting. This is because what you are now seeing is the material that got exported into the fbx and not the original material you had applied to the object.

Currently the workaround is to reassign the original material to the object after converting, then apply the changes to the prefab.

Best,
    Viktoria

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  14. vkovec

vkovec

Hi @manicd,

You're right, this is a bug with the exporter. It will be fixed in the next release :)

Best,
    Viktoria

15. CloudExSolider

CloudExSolider

This is exactly what I would like to do! I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to export at runtime for my application. Is there anyway of achieving this with the current Untiy exporter or is there some way I can modify the flies to create it?

16. vkovec

vkovec

Hi PendingFox and CloudExSolider,

Currently it is not possible to export FBX at runtime, however we plan to add this functionality in the future.

Best,
    Viktoria

17. vkovec

vkovec

Hi CyRaid,

We haven't forgotten about the Blender plugin, it's still on the roadmap.
    Sorry it's not available yet, and thank you for your patience!

Best,
    Viktoria

18. CyRaid

CyRaid

Thanks for the update Viktoria. Happen to have an ETA for it by chance? :)

19. CloudExSolider

CloudExSolider

That's unfortunate but I figured as much. I guess I'll have to look for another solution for runtime FBX exporting. Thanks for the quick response!

20. EWilain

EWilain

Hi Viktoria,
    can you update us on the progress of the fix ?
    Can we expect it for the end of the month or will it be coming later on ? If so, can you provide us a estimated time of release ?
    Thanks !
    Eric

21. vkovec

vkovec

Sorry I don't have an ETA for you right now

22. vkovec

vkovec

Hi EWilain,

The issue is on our radar, however it won't be ready this month. Sorry I don't have an ETA for you right now. I'll let you know when I do.
    Thank you for your patience!

Best,
    Viktoria

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  23. a33366

a33366

3ds Max 2018 Don't support ? Max2018.PNG No unity menu!
    捕获.PNG

24. cocosesamo

cocosesamo

Hi, ans! Thanks for the new version with lighting support! Do you know when you will be able to upload the new version with support for animated parameters? Thank you very much!

a33366 likes this.
  25. vkovec

vkovec

Hi a33366,

In 3ds Max 2018, the Unity menu items are under the file menu instead of the top menu bar like in 3ds Max 2017. Here are the exact locations for the Unity import and export menu items:

File > Import > Import from Unity
    File > Export > Export to Unity

If you don't see these menu items either, do you get any error messages in Unity or 3ds Max?

Best,
    Viktoria

26. masukensan

masukensan

Please support Maya 2016~
    I bet a lot of users still use 2016.

27. a33366

a33366

inputMeum.PNG I tried all day。
    捕获2.PNG
    no Error
    捕获.PNG

28. cocosesamo

cocosesamo

Hi! I have a doubt... will be possible in the future export to FBX the animations made in Timeline? Thanks!

29. vkovec

vkovec

Hi cocosesamo,

Support for animated parameters won't be in the upcoming release, but we are working on adding it :)

Yes in the next release it will be possible to export animations from the timeline to FBX.

Best,
    Viktoria

30. vkovec

vkovec

Hi masukensan,

Maya 2016 is not officially supported and hasn't been tested, however you might be able to make it work by manually installing the plugin.
    Here are the steps to take:

1. Unzip the UnityFbxForMaya.zip file in the FbxExporters/ folder from the Unity package to a writable location (could be in or outside of your Unity project)

2. Copy the contents of Integrations/Autodesk/maya/UnityFbxForMaya.txt from the unzipped folder to the following file:

Windows: C:\Users\{username}\Documents\maya\modules\UnityFbxForMaya.mod
    Mac: $HOME/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/Maya/modules/UnityFbxForMaya.mod

3. In UnityFbxForMaya.mod, modify the following line:

+ UnityFbxForMaya {Version} {UnityIntegrationsPath}/Integrations/Autodesk/maya

Replace {Version} with 1.2.0b1 (version number of FBX exporter package).
    Replace {UnityIntegrationsPath} with path where UnityFbxForMaya.zip was unzipped in step 1

4. In the following file:

Windows: C:\Users\{username}\Documents\maya\scripts\userSetup.mel
    Mac: $HOME/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/Maya/scripts/userSetup.mel

Create the file if it doesn't exist, then add this line:
    Code (csharp):
    2. if(`exists unitySetupUI`){ unitySetupUI; }
    5. Open Maya
    6. Open the script editor

upload_2018-3-20_11-18-43.png

7. Run the following:
    Code (csharp):
    2. unityConfigure "{UnityProjectPath}" "{ExportSettingsPath}" "{ImportSettingsPath}" 0 0;
    Where:
    UnityProjectPath = path/to/UnityProject
    ExportSettingsPath = path/to/Integrations/Autodesk/maya/scripts/unityFbxExportSettings.mel (from the UnityFbxForMaya.zip)
    ImportSettingsPath = path/to/Integrations/Autodesk/maya/scripts/unityFbxImportSettings.mel (from the UnityFbxForMaya.zip)

8. Integration should now be fully installed

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Best,
    Viktoria

masukensan likes this.
  31. vkovec

vkovec

Could you please send me your Unity editor logs after installing the 3ds Max plugin?

The editor log can be found here:
    C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log

Please also check if you have a file called "UnityFbxForMaxPlugin.ms" in your user startup scripts folder.
    This is the default location for this folder:
    C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2018 - 64bit\ENU\scripts\startup

Finally, do you close 3ds Max before installing?
    If not please try closing all 3ds Max windows before installing.

Best,
    Viktoria

32. a33366

a33366

Here is a screenshot of the folder

Log Last Text
    ----- Total AssetImport time: 0.089809s, AssetImport time: 0.000000s, Asset hashing: 0.000000s [0 B, 0.000000 mb/s]

Ran max: [E:/3DSMax2018/3ds Max 2018/3dsmax.exe]
    With args [-q -silent -mxs "global UnityPluginScript_Source = @\"E:/Unity Project/knife/Integrations/Autodesk/max/scripts/UnityFbxForMaxPlugin.ms\";global UnityPluginScript_Name = @\"UnityFbxForMaxPlugin.ms\";global UnityProject = @\"E:/Unity Project/knife\";global UnityFbxExportSettings = @\"E:/Unity Project/knife/Integrations/Autodesk/max/scripts/unityFbxExportSettings.ms\";filein \"E:/Unity Project/knife/Integrations/Autodesk/max/scripts/configureUnityFbxForMax.ms\""]
    Result 0
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log(LogType, String, Object)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
    UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    FbxExporters.Editor.MaxIntegration:InstallMaxPlugin(String)
    FbxExporters.Editor.MaxIntegration:InstallIntegration(String)
    FbxExporters.Editor.IntegrationsUI:InstallDCCIntegration()
    FbxExporters.EditorTools.ExportSettingsEditor:OnInspectorGUI()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow:DrawEditor(Editor[], Int32, Boolean, Boolean&, Rect&) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Inspector\InspectorWindow.cs:1253)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow:DrawEditors(Editor[]) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Inspector\InspectorWindow.cs:1030)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow:OnGUI() (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\Inspector\InspectorWindow.cs:361)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[]) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String, Object) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView:InvokeOnGUI(Rect) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\HostView.cs:255)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OldOnGUI() (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\GUI\DockArea.cs:396)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:DoOnGUI(Event) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\IMGUIContainer.cs:182)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:HandleIMGUIEvent(Event) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\IMGUIContainer.cs:338)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer:HandleEvent(EventBase) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\IMGUIContainer.cs:322)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher:DispatchEvent(EventBase, IPanel) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\EventDispatcher.cs:250)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility:DoDispatch(BaseVisualElementPanel) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\UIElementsUtility.cs:251)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\UIElements\Managed\UIElementsUtility.cs:78)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\IMGUI\Managed\GUIUtility.cs:175)

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs Line: 222)

Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.012264 seconds (Nothing changed)

Attached Files:

33. cocosesamo

cocosesamo

Thank you very much for your answer! I suposse that is difficult to know, but... there's an aproximated date for the next release? Do you think that the cameras done with Cinemachine on Timeline will can be exported to FBX to use it on Maya? Thanks again!

34. vkovec

vkovec

Hi a33366,

Thank you for sending the editor log and screenshots. It looks like everything was installed properly.

I believe there is a bug with the plugin currently depending on 3ds Max being installed in English.

Until we fix the problem, the workarounds are to add shortcuts for the Unity commands or to manually add the menu items for them.

For either case, first open the "Customize User Interface" Dialog:

upload_2018-3-26_11-14-48.png

To assign shortcuts:
    1. Go to the "Keyboard" tab
    2. Select the "Unity" category from the dropdown
    3. Select the Action to add a shortcut for
    4. Set the Hotkey
    5. Click "Assign"

upload_2018-3-26_11-17-26.png

To add the menu items:
    1. Go to the "Menus" tab
    2. Select the "Unity" category from the dropdown
    3. Drag the actions to the desired location in the UI (e.g. under File > Import)

upload_2018-3-26_11-21-48.png

Let me know if this does not fix the issue or if you see any other problems.

Best,
    Viktoria

Attached Files:

35. vkovec

vkovec

Hi cocosesamo,

The next release is coming soon :), however I don't have a specific date for you right now.

Yes it will be possible to export cinemachine cameras from the timeline in the next release, however the animation clips will need to be baked. This can be done using the Unity recorder available for free on the asset store.

Best,
    Viktoria

36. a33366

a33366

[QUOTE =“vkovec,post:3439186,member:1476161”]嗨a33366,

感谢您发送编辑日志和截图。它看起来像一切正常安装。

我相信这个插件目前存在一个错误,取决于3ds Max是以英文安装的。

在解决问题之前,解决方法是为Unity命令添加快捷方式或为它们手动添加菜单项。

无论哪种情况,首先打开“自定义用户界面”对话框:

[ATTACH =满] 272035 [/ ATTACH]

分配快捷方式:
    1.转到“键盘”选项卡
    2.从下拉列表中选择“Unity”类别
    3.选择要为其添加快捷方式的操作
    4.设置热键
    5.点击“分配”

[ATTACH =满] 272038 [/ ATTACH]

要添加菜单项:
    1.转到“菜单”选项卡
    2.从下拉列表中选择“Unity”类别
    3.将动作拖动到用户界面中的所需位置(例如,在文件>导入下)

[ATTACH =满] 272040 [/ ATTACH]

让我知道如果这不能解决问题或者如果你看到任何其他问题。

最好,
    维多利亚[/ QUOTE]

thanks is ok !

vkovec likes this.
  37. cocosesamo

cocosesamo

Thank you very much, Viktoria!

Waiting for the next release!

Best,
    Pablo

vkovec likes this.
  38. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Really hope the skinned mesh support comes soon! Thanks for all the work you're doing on this.

vkovec likes this.
  39. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

is there a way to call the function of "Convert to linked prefab instance"? I just want to make my own script more automatic

40. vkovec

vkovec

Hi SunnyChow,

Yes there are two different functions you can use from the FbxExporters.Editor.ConvertToModel class:
    Code (csharp):
    2. /// <summary>
    3. /// Create instantiated model prefabs from a list of GameObjects.
    4. /// Every hierarchy in the list will be exported, under the name of the root.
    5. /// If an object and one of its descendents are both selected, the descendent is not promoted to be a prefab -- we only export the root.
    6. /// </summary>
    7. /// <returns>list of instanced Model Prefabs</returns>
    8. /// <param name="unityGameObjectsToConvert">Unity game objects to convert to Model Prefab instances</param>
    9. /// <param name="path">Path to save Model Prefab; uses export path in FbxExportSettings if null</param>
    10. static GameObject[] CreateInstantiatedModelPrefab (GameObject[] unityGameObjectsToConvert, string directoryFullPath = null);
    12. /// <summary>
    13. /// Convert one object (and the hierarchy below it) to an auto-updating prefab.
    14. /// This refreshes the asset database.
    15. /// </summary>
    16. /// <returns>The prefab instance that replaces 'toConvert' in the scene.</returns>
    17. /// <param name="toConvert">GameObject hierarchy to convert to a prefab.</param>
    18. /// <param name="fbxFullPath">Absolute platform-specific path to
    19. /// the fbx file. May be null, in which case we construct a unique
    20. /// filename from the object name and the
    21. /// directoryFullPath.</param>
    22. /// <param name="directoryFullPath">Absolute platform-specific path
    23. /// to a directory in which to put the fbx file. Ignored if
    24. /// fbxFullPath is specified. May be null, in which case the
    25. /// export path from the FbxExportSettings is used.</param>
    26. static GameObject Convert(GameObject toConvert, string directoryFullPath = null, string fbxFullPath = null);
    Best,
    Viktoria

SunnyChow likes this.
  41. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey there Viktoria,

Sorry for the late reply but I have been extremely busy lately. I just tried installing it once again. Again it failed. Maya LT doesn't close and Unity spits out an error. Do you want me to attach the log files here or email?

Thomas Pasieka

42. vkovec

vkovec

Hi Thomas,

No worries, hope things have calmed down a bit. Attaching the log files here is good, thank you!

Best,
    Viktoria

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  43. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Here you go :)

Thomas Pasieka

Attached Files:

44. arybak89

arybak89

Great job, love it so far! Is there currently a way to export an asset with animations from Unity to Maya? Currently I send Asset Alpha from Maya to Unity. Then If I want to edit, I send it back to Maya, but now my keys are gone. Would be great to go back and forth between the two seamlessly.

45. gdtiti

gdtiti

where down it?

46. vkovec

vkovec

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for sending the logs. The Unity commands look fine, however it seems that an error occurs when running the commands in Maya as it exits with an error code.
    Could you please send the error you get from Unity as well as the script editor contents from Maya LT?

Thank you,
    Viktoria

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  47. vkovec

vkovec

Hi arybak89,

Thank you! With FBX Exporter version 1.3.0b1 it is possible to export animated transforms, cameras, lights, and legacy or generic skinned meshes.

You can also export animation clips from the timeline.

Best,
    Viktoria

48. vkovec

vkovec

Hi gdtiti,

You can download the package either from the asset store or from this forum thread below for the most recent version.

Best,
    Viktoria

49. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

One last beta version before we make an update to the Asset Store Unity FBX Exporter. The animation roundtrip, blendshapes and the node name remapping are available in this latest release.

Several other improvements and bug fixes have been made to the package:

NEW FEATURES
    • FbxExporter: Export animation clips from Timeline
    • FbxExportSettings: Added new UI to set export settings
    • FbxExportSettings: Added option to transfer transform animation on export
    • FbxExporterSettings: Added option to export model only
    • FbxExporterSettings: Added option to export animation only
    • FbxExporterSettings: Added option not to export animation on skinned meshes
    • FbxExportSettings: Added option to export meshes without renderers
    • FbxExportSettings: Added LOD export option
    • UnityMayaIntegration: Allow multi file import
    • UnityMayaIntegration: Allow multi file export by scene selection
    • FbxPrefabAutoUpdater: new UI to help manage name changes

FIXES
    • FbxExporter: link materials to objects connected to mesh instances
    • FbxExporter: export meshes in model prefab instances as mesh instances in fbx
    • ConvertToPrefab: Don't re-export fbx model instances
    • FbxExportSettings: fix console error on Mac when clicking "Install Unity Integration"
    • FbxExporter: fix so animating spot angle in Unity animates cone angle in Maya (not penumbra)
    • FbxExporter: export correct rotation order (xyz) for euler rotation animations (previously would export as zxy)

KNOWN ISSUES
    • FbxExporter: animated skinned meshes must be in the bind pose on export (i.e. not being previewed in the Animation or Timeline windows, and the original rig's fbx must not contain animation)
    • FbxExporter: animated meshes in bone hierarchy are not supported
    • FbxExporter: for skinned meshes all bones must be descendants of the root bone
    • 3DIntegration: fbx containing rig must have file units in cm in order for animation exported from Unity to be properly applied
    • ConvertToPrefab: converting model instance that has been modified in the scene won't reexport fbx

We also have been working on updating the 3ds Max plugin to match the updated Maya plugin. To better support multi file import/export, we propose the following changes to the plugin:

• For each file imported both a selection set and dummy node are created (with the name format currently being "{filename}_UnityExportSet" for both the set and dummy)
    • Each selection set will contain the objects that were imported from the corresponding file
    • The dummy node will contain the export file path and file name (this is the same as what is stored directly on the set in Maya)
    Let us know if this works for you!

Next on our roadmap, are custom properties and constraints. Also the next update in the Asset Store will probably be the last since we are making the Unity FBX Exporter a Unity component available from the Package Manager for 2018.2.

As always, we are very interested in your feedback!

You can download the package here.

Note: The FBX Exporter is a “Restricted Asset” under the Asset Store End User License Agreement and is subject to the Unity Companion License 1.0. Further, use of the Autodesk FBX SDK is subject to your acceptance of and agreement to the FBX SDK License and Service Agreement terms.

vkovec and tnydwrds like this.
  50. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

We created a short video of the animation roundtrip using Unity's FBX exporter and showing all the steps of the process. If you are interested to know more about this exciting new feature, have a look at the video here.

vkovec and tnydwrds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.