Search Unity

Official New FBX Exporter in 2017.2

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by ans_unity, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julienkay

julienkay

I encountered an issue with FBX Exporter 4.0.0-pre.4

When a hierarchy is exported and any GameObject has an empty string as a name, the method "ConvertToMayaCompatibleName()" (which is enabled by default), throws an IndexOutOfRangeException. The line in question is line 4514: "if (char.IsDigit (newName [0])) {"

I think empty strings should be explicitly handled, because Unity does allow clearing an objects name. (Either through the Inspector Window or via code. Only when renaming via the Hierarchy View, Unity enforces that the string can't be empty.)

2. vkovec

vkovec

Unity Developer - FBX Exporter

Hi @julienkay,

Thank you, I've logged a bug to handle names that are empty strings.

julienkay likes this.
  3. _slash_

_slash_

@vkovec Is it still not possible to cast the deformers?

4. vkovec

vkovec

Unity Developer - FBX Exporter

Hi @_slash_,

Downcasting the FBX objects is not yet possible.

Could you please tell me a bit more about your use case? Maybe there would be a workaround.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    _slash_ likes this.
  5. markvi

markvi

Whew, this thread is getting long! We started developing the FBX Exporter almost four years ago, and last week we published 4.0.1, our first non-preview release. We're taking this opportunity to close this megathread and encourage you to create new threads in this forum for questions, feature requests, or bug reports.

Also note that we've moved! Now that we're out of preview, we've moved out of the beta forums to the Import Formats & External Tools forum. Thank you for all of your feedback over the years, and please keep it coming!

julienkay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.