Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

New errors when porting project to latest Alpha

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Nov 3, 2018.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

> Transform component could not be found on game object. Adding one!

> Component could not be loaded when loading game object. Cleaning up!

> GameObject has multiple Transform components! Merged into single one.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They all came from the same object which was fine, it was a rather aging density volume for HDRP. Since I adopted HDRP at the earliest opportunity ages ago, I'm going to guess this is something that will never effect most people.

More recently created density volumes did not exhibit this issue. So I just nuked the offender and all is well. I leave this note for wandering eyes and playful developer fingers.

charlesb_rm likes this.
  3. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Thanks for the report. We'll have the team look into it.

4. hmtyzr

hmtyzr

I also had the same errors when upgrading to 2019.1 alpha. Furthermore; some of the game objects went missing and appeared as "Recovered Game Objects" in the hierarchy. Many references were also lost and I had to manually reference them in the inspector. By the way; new prefab workflow rocks! That's why I upgraded to 2019.1 from a stable build.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Offtopic but I'll bite! :)

I don't know if the new prefab workflow rocks, frankly. The jury is still out here.

The abuse potential has no cap nor warning and would require you to create code to manage a project which is deeply entrenched with the new prefabs else the possibility of waste and bugs becomes high. For ambitious titles, the new prefab system should ideally be backed with a programmer somewhere so people don't prefab-ception themselves into design hell since object factories still have their place for runtime generation.

Also Unity themselves have recently advocated processing these prefabs into more efficient structures.

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The missing references on the game objects are probably a separate problem. You should be able to fix this by re-importing them. https://forum.unity.com/threads/switching-from-b2-to-b7-prefab-references-issue.574369/

The new prefab workflows are part of the 2018.3 release. If you upgraded just for this functionality it would probably be advisable to use 2018.3 instead.

7. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

This means you have an old prefab or scene that was seriously broken, probably because of version control merges or the old prefab system having some serious issues. The messages are simply there to tell you that we tried to fix the issues.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    hippocoder likes this.
  8. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Any chance we can get a bug report preferably with an attached project that has these upgrade issues. We have done a lot to make sure reference are not lost so I am curious how it happened to you.

9. Mads-Nyholm

Mads-Nyholm

Unity Technologies

hmtyzr & hippocoder: It could be related new changes in the19.1 alpha. Can you open the original project (from pre-2018.3) into the latest 2018.3 beta and check if you have any upgrade issues there?

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Previous to the latest, Unity would crash randomly without alerting me. So after upgrading to 2019 I was able to find the offending objects and delete them, and when backported to 2018.3, I notice no more crashes. These issues were likely created by prefab changes or HDRP volume changes for me.