Search Unity

New Editor Theme

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by benoitd_unity, Oct 3, 2018.

?

Which theme do you prefer?

1. I prefer the current theme

138 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. I prefer the new theme

214 vote(s)
    60.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

There seem to be a blurriness problem in 2018.x. I had never really noticed because my eyesight is not what it should be but someone just complained about that, saying that the editor in 2017.x was not so blurry; and now that the problem has been pointed out to me, I do see it...

Will it be fixed in the updated versions of 2018.x or will we have to wait until 2019 comes out?

3. Teila

Teila

I sure hope not! If this is true then there goes accessibility. This is the same argument some of us had during the entire new forum debacle.

The new editor is fine, but please let people like me who have vision issues to test your new editor. If the fonts are small and blurry, that is a problem. I do not really want a dark editor...as it hurts my eyes and I do not like to work in a darkened room.

If the fonts are blurry, fix them. It is not just youngsters who use Unity, you know. :)

Looks like I may have a new cause. I will test out the link and provide feedback.

Socrates and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  4. Teila

Teila

OKay, took a look at it. Compared it to the current inspector.

In the new inspector, the font is smaller, lighter and for some of us blurrier. I suggest you use the same font as the old which is darker and much easier to read. I rather wonder if these were only tested on the dark editor and they may work there. But they do not work on light.

And remember, not all of us can use the dark background because it bothers our eyes as well. My eye doctor does not recommend dark for me. I am sure I am not the only one.

5. You also can download and test a font selector test unity so you can check up on new fonts if you want.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-editor-theme.564484/page-7#post-3871840

6. Claudiuslollarius

Claudiuslollarius

New theme looks better than old one for sure, especially the flatter icons.

What I'd really want is to have Unity use native UI widgets instead of whatever it's doing now (GTK? QT? something else?). Doing so would fix:

- Blurry text
    - DPI scaling
    - Controls feeling "off/weird" compared to other apps

You could have a MTKView on MacOS and SwapChainPanel on Windows to display the scene and game preview and use Xaml and Interface builder for the rest of the UI respectively.
    Doing so would also allow you to easily support OS wide dark/light mode as in Win10 and Mojave.

Closest example I can find of a pro grade app developed this way is Visual Studio for Mac (not VS Code)

7. Igor_Vasiak

Igor_Vasiak

mistakes.png

I know, this image is not good. But it illustrates most of the issues of this new theme, Personal Unity only. The Pro Version looks nice already I guess. I don't have it so I can't look much further than the pics in this thread.

---

The Issues

1 - (1.2) Can you tell me what does that look like? If you have been using Unity for a few years, sure. Otherwise probably no. That's a UI Image preview. As you can tell, they have successfully removed the gradient there, but actually forgotten to put a contrast color there. A nice idea is to use the same color as the Material preview (1.1). Also, do you notice something weird about that dropdown there (1.3)? Yeah, me too. It's not the same style as the others. You could fix that. And you could maybe use some Lighter color as the separator between the normal background and the Image preview area because right now that's just the same as the normal background.

2 - Remove that gradient or make it less sloppy and intense (like Mozilla Firefox's icon), please. It's awful to look at a low-quality gradient in the middle of a flat UI.

3 - Can you tell where is my mouse there? Yeah, I've been using Unity 2018.3 beta and one of the many things I love in it is the responsiveness of the Hierarchy. So why are you hiding it in such a low opacity? I can barely notice it! Also, why not to bring that to the project tab too?

4 - That's a silly mistake, please fix that. Spacing is so obvious, especially in such a place!

5 - Consistency. The same as 2 and 1.

6 - It's probably hard to see with that black box there, but in the upper image I have the Inspector opened. In the second one, I have the Lighting Settings window opened. Did you ever notice that the Inspector has a darker outline there, which ain't there in any other window? Did you also notice, Unity Team, that the Inspector tab's title is darker than the others? And that the contrast is a nice effect? Consistency, please. Also, center those tab icons.

7 - C'mon. That's obvious. Has anyone noticed it yet? Thick borders aren't beautiful while surrounded by thin borders.

8 - Those icons don't match the theme and have way too thick borders (8.1). Please, make them brighter and for God's sake please unglue them from the border of the window (8.2)!

9 - Please, bring that line upwards and make it touch the bottom of the material component panel.

10 - That's not aligned.

11 - Center that drop-down arrow on all component tabs (the Graphics Raycaster header image).

12 - Buttons could do with a little bit of a shadow outline just to tell that you can press them.

13 - The general coloring isn't good at all. The editor doesn't look professional, there almost aren't contrast colors and it just looks blend! I don't think that's modern. I think that that's a representation of the Unity Editor made by a kid using Paint.Net.

Come on, Unity team! You can do better than that! I know it! You have done amazing stuff before. Do you want good flat modern UI examples? Just look at the new Gmail, Discord, Chrome, any Adobe product, any Apple software, and even Windows 10 now (especially the blurry semi-transparent windows that you've promised us in those old screenshots at the Unity 2018 keynote).

---

Now, what are the goodies in this new interface?

1 - Style | The input fields, drop-down menus, most of the icons, and text are going in the right direction.

2 - Responsiveness | Almost everywhere I put my mouse on changes color, brings an outline or something. I love that. You could add that effect to the drop-downs, the project tab, and the console tab too.

3 - It just sounds amazing concept-wise. It's a huge step (even if bigger than your legs can take) in the right direction. Even if you're biting more than you can chew, I can visualize this looking awesome (in my head). Also, there are some places where you could use rounded corners, and the component menus are one of them. Then make a shadow pop up behind them on mouse over and you're done.

4 - Text | Well, I admit that the text looks squeezed and that sometimes it gets totally distorted (Project/Favorites), but, despite that, it is an evolution in some weird way.

That's what I have to say. I'm not voting for which one yet, because this new editor doesn't feel complete. It's more of a WIP. If you want my opinion, just put more contrast colors (or shades of gray, should I say?) there.

I'm speaking as a Mac and Windows user who knows the best of both worlds. I know you can't make everyone happy, but... eh... you're kinda stuck in between what's good and what's not.

**A Quick Note - ** The current editor has what I believe is a UI bug - I don't know if that's just for me or for everyone else. What happens is the Editor UI freezes from time to time, but still responds actively to any command/action. It's a bug of the weirdest type, that's for sure, but it's there since Unity 2018.1 and I can't help but notice that it hasn't been solved since.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  8. ks3d_unity

ks3d_unity

Unity Technologies

This was a great read - thank you. You obviously put a lot of thought and effort into capturing your feedback. Thank you for being honest and constructive. The preview build of the new editor UI feels incomplete because it is indeed a WIP with bugs we haven't resolved yet. We're on it and teams have been working hard on addressing the feedback in this thread. Stay tuned.

9. Igor_Vasiak

Igor_Vasiak

Thanks! I guess everyone will agree when I say that all of us are surely going to stay tuned. Even if it's just to find more stuff to disagree. I'm really cheering for you guys, and I hope that you can - as you do with everything - use some magic and make the editor feel modern, responsive, fresh, professional, and be usable at the same time - which, let's be honest, already is kinda there, just not really on the surface, but somewhat deeper, as you go about using it and getting used to the interface.

IMO, of course. Cheers!

Also, sorry if I sounded rude in the post above. I was kinda stressed. So, I might edit some of that. Actually, I'll edit it as I find more suggestions and bugs, including what's on the current UI and I hope will get fixed. xP

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    ModLunar likes this.
  10. TextusGames

TextusGames

Could we have unity editor to go fullscreen on windows ( like F11 does in other modern programs )?

I have tried different combinations key shourtcuts but nothing worked out.
    The tiltle bar of main unity ediotor window is unnessary, it just eats the vertical space we could have option to go fullscreen or
    preferably title bar and File-Help menu bar should be on the same bar freeing some verticle space.

It is common approach in modern programs. Godot 3 , Unreal Engine 4, Affinity Designer, Visual Studio 2019 they all has ability to go fullscreen mode and it is great.
    And if we want unity editor to be and feel as modern programm i think we need fullscreen mode for that.

Any plans or ways to make unity editor fullscreen on windows?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Igor_Vasiak and AndrewKaninchen like this.
  11. TextusGames

TextusGames

I managed to hide title bar by AutoHotkey script, but it still miss close and minimize buttons.
    New.png

Here how editor looks without changes
    Old.png

Also i think functionality of bottom status bar should be moved to the top bar in order to additionally increase useful vertical space
    Suggested.png

This changes could increase usful vertical space by ~ 10%
    What do you guys think about this suggestion?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Igor_Vasiak, chatrat12 and mgear like this.
  12. chatrat12

chatrat12

During the Berlin event it was said that the new theme would be deployed as a package. It was also said that the aim was to get the first phase into 2018.3. 2018.3 is almost upon us.

Is deploying as a package still going to be a thing? Is it on track for 2013.3?

Igor_Vasiak likes this.
  13. Igor_Vasiak

Igor_Vasiak

I totally agree with @TextusGames. The Bottom Bar, the Top Menu, and the Title bar should be merged, and preferably just as Textus said. Of course, that could be optional (you could simply put a toggle on the General Settings tab).

Also, deploying as a package as @chatrat12 said would allow for continuous updating and feedback loops regarding the new UI style, so I don't know why are you, Unity UI Power Rangers, not using this feature to share the UI. xD

I did watch the Berlin event at the time and got really excited about this new UI. I like the first "round screenshots". I hope it comes soon as a package. With Title, File Menu and Console Bar merged, please. (°-°)d

14. ks3d_unity

ks3d_unity

Unity Technologies

You can get more details on the release schedule for the new themes via the Roadmap presentation from Unite LA:

15. JohannaJacob

JohannaJacob

Hey Unity folks, I am currently writing a book about Unity which will come out in 2019. By that time, my current tutorial screenshots will be outdated due to the upcoming UI update. Is it possible to get a version with the new UI to make screenshots in? Is the version linked in the first post still the newest? Or is there a newer version I could use?

16. chatrat12

chatrat12

@ks3d_unity Thanks. Look like the scope and timeline has been dialed back significantly. That's understandable.

17. rhcapati

rhcapati

I'm in the same situation, my book already have more than 300 screenshots and I'm updating some based on 2019.1 beta, but the new UI will change everything and rework the screenshots twice will waste too much of my time. The problem with the newest build with the new UI is things can change again in the upcoming versions. Unless, of course, we have a "safe build" that will probably not have heavy changes in the UI.

18. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who participated to this first round of feedback, it was very insightful.

We're sharing another iteration of this new theme editor and if you want to participate, please head over this thread.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.