Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

New Editor Theme

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by benoitd_unity, Oct 3, 2018.

?

Which theme do you prefer?

1. I prefer the current theme

138 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. I prefer the new theme

214 vote(s)
    60.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dadude123

dadude123

I really don't like the font and the new flat icons.
    Those two things are just horrible and fail at what they are supposed to do.

The font kerning is insanely bad, please bring back the old font.

The icons are now 100x harder to parse at glance and are thus failing.
    Icons need to be identifyable instantly.
    That is literally their only purpose. You cannot have flat single color icons, it has not worked for Visual Studio either.

2. Simeon

Simeon

In my opinion the main hurdles are contrast, element separation and color palettes.
    Maybe changing the light theme default BG color would be nice. That gray one is not the greatest.
    Utilizing Material Design would be nice too.

Also the font seems like it's not sharp enough. Not sure why that is. Could it be the AA on it?

Some inspirations I googled.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Peter77 likes this.
  3. Protozoaire

Protozoaire

Sure fact, we won't work with 2019 in it's current state, too much visual information loss.

Even Play/Pause/Next Frame "buttons" are hard to see ... PrtScr capture_21.png

All different types of variables on a script now looks the same and it's harder to see unreferenced GameObjects for example.

GameDevCouple_I, dadude123 and mgear like this.
  4. Simeon

Simeon

You should also allow for user editor themes. That would be the ultimate solution. Would be quite easy with the new UIElements and .uss files Just a folder with overriding .uss styles.
    Though that would make it possible for users to change to a dark theme without having a subscription.

5. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

As far as i remember - the new UI schemes will be available as a package through the the package manager. So we have to be able to add/remove it whenever you want !
    Hopefully plan this is not changed as the new UI will need some time until it gets polished.

6. Enrico-Monese

Enrico-Monese

I like the direction it is going. But as everyone else already pointed out it definitely needs more contrast and more legible text.
    It's pleasant to look at but way harder to use.

7. xenius

xenius

I'm going to say right now, my biggest problem is the vertical expansion for the same amount of data. There's tons of spacing between fields and components that is unnecessary, and will greatly increase the amount of scrolling that I will have to do. This is a workflow ramification that will _directly_ translate into time-and-money bleed. I respectfully request some way to make things more compact vertically.

FuseBox-Games and cow1787 like this.
  8. rakkarage

rakkarage

Some way to change font using use? I prefer Ubuntu to roboto

9. Propagant

Propagant

Well as I can see unity has moved on! Great work. Can't wait for the new layout style.

bobdonovan likes this.
  10. Edy

Edy

Thanks! I've tested the new build with a custom inspector. Here's what I've found:
    • Font is definitely an issue. It's blurry and noticeably unpleasant to read than previous version. I'm aware that it's beautiful on Retina Macs, but I think is totally unusable on non hi-res Windows. Please consider an option for choosing the old font.
    • GUI.contentColor is ignored. In the picture below, the labels under the graph are drawn using GUI.contentColor = Color.White * 0.8f.
    • Bold labels and Header decorations look really bad. It's not bold at all, just a bit more "white", and looks clumsy.

upload_2018-10-13_21-1-7.png

ParticleSystem: while it has improved a bit, the font is still way too blurry to be acceptable for everyday's use. Bold text suffer from the same issues as mentioned.

upload_2018-10-13_21-12-50.png

Thanks for the update! Please keep improving the UI.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Peter77 and hippocoder like this.
  11. Edy

Edy

I'd suggest to include platform information in the poll, something like:
    • I work on Mac and prefer the current theme
    • I work on Mac and prefer the new theme
    • I work on Windows and prefer the current theme
    • I work on Windows and prefer the new theme

12. Sentrigal

Sentrigal

I don't currently have the time to check this out, but I couldn't forgive myself it I didn't speak up. Judging from all the screenshots people posted here, I have to agree that this flat look is absolutely horrible and virtually unusable. I can't stress enough how bad of an idea this is. Do. Not. Do. This. Why is this even a thing? Why are so many software solutions doing that these days? It's removing information, it's hard on the eyes and just generally terrible to work with. Keep the gradients.

Further, I agree with pretty much all the criticism the new design has gotten in this thread, as least as far as I've read. Please do not jump on this train, this has seriously tainted great software in the past and, unfortunately, continues to do so.

Also, bit of an off topic rant, if you want to do something about interfaces, I suggest you tackle the lack of functional C# interfaces first lol. Well, not "lol", seriously annoys me :|

ErnestSurys, dadude123 and mgear like this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Aren't themes optional anyway? In any case my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I've voted for the old theme, which is indeed, easier on my eyes.

The flat look with nonsense contrast (enum popup is a complete joke) lacks information. Old UI embeds usability information in the gradients and of course the subtle shading for input fields. Really frames text and helps text "belong".

It is hard not to be annoyed at style over function. Insults intelligence. So far I haven't managed to find a single advantage to the proposed new UI, in fact I started thinking about what custom inspector overrides I'd need to waste time on programming just to make things usable at a glance.

14. slaczky

slaczky

I don't know if I missed something, but I can't test anything from my extensions. I get empty errors. Even in new projects.

4.png

15. mgear

mgear

Would be nice to have other extra info too, something like
    - I'm new to unity, prefer current theme
    - I'm new to unity, prefer new theme
    - I use unity daily/at work/.., prefer current theme
    - I use unity daily/at work/.., prefer new theme

(maybe not those exact words.. but i feel like its going to be more painful to use new theme,
    if you regularly spend several hours, everyday, using unity..)

16. z00n

z00n

I vote for the new UI but I think, at least for Windows, you should use the same font as it was: Verdana because Windows users love aggressive font hinting. Recently, I made some experiments with font overriding - and Verdana is still the best overall.

Windows Editor has not used Lucida Grande for a long time; fonts got overridden in Editor/Data/Resources/fontsettings.txt:

Code (csharp):
    1. English|default=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial
    2. English|Lucida Grande=Verdana, Tahoma
    3. English|Lucida Grande Bold=Verdana Bold, Tahoma Bold
    4. English|Lucida Grande small=Verdana, Tahoma
    5. English|Lucida Grande small bold=Verdana Bold, Tahoma Bold
    6. English|Lucida Grande Big=Verdana, Tahoma
    7. English|Lucida Grande Warning=Verdana, Tahoma
    8. ...
    PS. And I think that this major Editor UI overhaul is a good reason to add some standard monospaced font to fontsetting.

bac9-flcl likes this.
  17. kg

kg

This UI hurts your users. Please think about what you're doing.

Sorry for the huge font, but not that sorry. I care a lot about this. Please reconsider this direction. I have no doubt that smart passionate people are at work here, but from a user's perspective, the redesign focuses on things that users don't care about at the expense of things that we do.

If you want a great resource on why many seemingly-minor changes you've made are actually quite harmful, check out The Design of Everyday Things. I will be at Unite LA later this month and would love to talk to someone about this if you have time.

#1: This design removes affordances from the editor
    This is bad because:
    - It increases the burden of onboarding new users because you're forcing them to re-learn knowledge they already have. The idea that the user can click on a part of the interface to get an action is represented by more than 20 years of training in "what does a button look like?". You get that for free! But instead, you're throwing away that intuition and replacing it with "memorize which of these flat rectangles cause an action when you click them". There are ways to make the UI look more modern without making these sacrifices.
    - It slows down all of your experienced users. Here's an easy test you could run: take each unique UI element from old and new designs and make a quick online quiz to identify them by picture. Time how long it takes for users to go through and identify if something is a button, a text area, a dropdown or a toggle in each version. Even after training, I'd bet that the new UI will be markedly slower. And if a user can't look at a part of the UI and immediately know what to do with it, that's a problem.
    - It breaks the ability for users to navigate new interfaces based on previous experience in the editor. Because fields are not easily distinguishable, you're choosing to ask users to re-learn an interface every time they use it. It's harder in this version to explore and experiment with the interface, which is one of Unity's strengths compared to other editors.

#2: You are making the editor harder to physically look at
    This redesign removes contrast from an already low-contrast editor. We don't primarily use Unity because it's nice to look at. It's a tool. There's a lot of things to remember about this tool, and humans are great at tying meaning to things like color, shape, contrast, space, and texture. Why not refocus the update on making Unity an easier tool to use? I could point you to a few GDC talks from just this last year about tool design if you'd like.

#3: Some specific issues
    - The ability to click a label in the inspector to highlight it blue and its field was removed. Why?
    - On OSX, the new font is clear but the kerning is pretty bad. It feels childish--like reading a kid's handwriting. What's up with that?
    - On Windows, much of the interface and especially the font is just blurry and pretty miserable. I assume this is a bug?

It's a bit frustrating that the industry has to keep learning the same lessons about good design over and over again, and especially to see my favorite tool falling into the same well-documented pitfalls. Please get in touch if you'd like to talk about any more of this, and I'll definitely try to find someone at Unite. Until then I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that you got this far in the replies. :)

Lahcene, MaxRoetzler, Ryiah and 11 others like this.
  18. ks3d_unity

ks3d_unity

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback. We are reading and listening :). I'm part of the Design team and would like to take you up on your offer to get in touch. I'm not going to Unite LA but would very much like to connect with you via a Hangout or Skype video call if you'd be up for it. If so, please DM or send me an email at kris@unity3d.com. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  19. ErnestSurys

ErnestSurys

Thank you @kg, great post.
    I have the same problems,and some more.

You said in your post that you want Unity to:
    • Be Modern and Professional.
    • Familiar to users of other content creation software.
    • Have User interface that’s open to a wider range of users and designed with all abilities in mind.
    • Improve its usability.

Provide us with the ability to make our own themes, like in every other piece of modern and professional software.
    Because every other software that I'm familiar with has this option. Photoshop, Visual Studio, name others. It would for sure greatly improve its usability and allow for more work to be done in those late hours that some people have to work in.

Dark UI theme being behind a pay wall is a really weird idea.
    Because it is not about software looking more cool, it is actually about feeling less physical pain during your daily work.

You are spending time changing things that don't need to be changed, with goals that can be achieved with this one thing that your community is keep asking for, and for some long time too.

Also, I saw the new IMGUI debugger in this build, great work!

Ryiah and nhold like this.
  20. nhold

nhold

I have to say, this is the only way to please everyone. Customisation of editor is highly professional, allowing people to create the correct designs for their workflow, eyes, lighting conditions and displays. Although this has the ability for someone to create an unsavory design which could affect Unitys brand. (I.e Tim "The Toolman" Taylor theme or other more unsavoury themes). Unity might need to handle curating and approving themes if that's what they are worried about.

I personally like this redesign.

21. dohaiha930

dohaiha930

My feedback:
    - New Editor UI have so much misleading information about button, text field, drop down, it's same but different, still same.... :p
    - Button, textfield..etc can have gradient or some signal to realize.

My Suggest:
    - Why don't you make a new features for Unity Editor: THEME EDITOR
    - Anyone can make their own theme, then publish it to asset store, then everyone can buy or download it for free, profit for everyone, and Unity will not try to make 1 and only 1 Editor Interface to gratify everyone(It's impossible), instead, you can make 1 tools for user to create their own theme, then we will have thousand UI theme to use.

So simple, it's :
    1/ Create a tool for easy edit editor UI.
    2/ Let's people publish it on assets store
    3/ PROFIT??? :D

Edit:
    - Moding community is very big, and we love this.
    - Looking to CS1.6 GUI, you can see, community create so many GUIS, skins, we just go to some sites, like Gamebanana, then choose best GUIS for us, download it, copy paste then we'll enjoy our new UI, skins.

LET USER CREATE WHAT THEY WANT WITH EASY TOOL!!

buymenuthemes.png

563454481569e.jpg

1436872186_theme-menu-cs-origin-iv-for-cs-1.6.jpg

22. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

This escalated quickly... :O

GameDevCouple_I and Peter77 like this.
  23. ks3d_unity

ks3d_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback. We've considered many of the ideas and suggestions posted in this thread. Like with most software that's been around for a while, making changes to the UI is a progression that needs to happen over time. It comes down to feasibility and what can be done near-term, mid-term, and long-term. In the Roadmap presentation at Unite Berlin a few months ago, we showed how we envision the UI to evolve over time and multiple releases. The current preview build is a step in that evolution. Unity has become a product of substantial size, and with so many Asset Store plugins and custom tools out there, legacy UI and a new UI system coming, multiple target platforms/configurations to run the Editor on, etc., the transition and roll-out has to be done very carefully and diligently. So if there's something you feel passionate about but don't see it in the latest preview build, it doesn't mean that we're not considering it for the future. We don't want to regress the quality of the UI and will be iterating until we get it right. We need to make sure that the first step adds user value and doesn't compromise usability. Your feedback on the current preview build is highly useful in that regard. Thanks for trying it out and sharing your thoughts and reporting the issues.

24. MU-TH-UR

MU-TH-UR

The world is not flat. Removing dimension from buttons is like using a touchscreen keyboard versus a real one. I love the way LCARS looks but I would hate to actually have to use it in a production environment. The main things like the font, including the choice, leading and kerning are really bad on the eyes. The sliders have no feedback and are too close to the color of the line, it should at least be a stroked circle instead of a filled one. I was surprised that the default skybox wasn't set to none.

Then this is a bad start, it instantly felt like some retro 3D software and not even modern flat design.

25. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Id like to echo other users on the whole "user customisation" side. Its weird that in 2019 we still will not be able to fully customize the editor experience in terms of UI, despite you already highlighting the many different use cases, workflows, layouts etc required by different industries using unity.

Unity 100% does not handle all use cases well from a UI perspective. I wager that as you target more and more industries, this will become harder to encompass with one single uneditable UI. Instead, let users customize them.

26. Baste

Baste

To everyone asking for customization of the UI, it's already in there. Kinda. The EditorStyles API allows you access to a bunch of the built-in styles used to draw the UI, so you can change things like fonts, colors, text sizes, etc.

This does reveal some problems, though. For kicks and laughs, I tried to right-align the labels in the inspector. It turns our that it's completely doable:

EditorStyles.label.alignment = TextAnchor.UpperRight;

upload_2018-10-15_10-37-26.png

Of course, that's no good, the we need some more right-margin, so let's add that:

EditorStyles.label.padding = new RectOffset(2, 10, 1, 2); //default is 2, 2, 1, 2

upload_2018-10-15_10-44-44.png

Would you look at that! X, Y and Z uses the same padding style, and are now near invisible.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to have the editor be right-aligned and still look decent. This clearly points to something - for Unity to enable user styling, it's not enough to just add some sliders and buttons in the menu to edit the current styles. The editor will need a major overhaul to enable a free range of custom user stylings.

bobdonovan and jonathans42 like this.
  27. nasos_333

nasos_333

I think this new one is much worse design.

The new store and this new non 3d look are not good, i suggest focus on other things that are much more crucial and not affect what already worked fine, like old store and UI look

28. yatagarasu

yatagarasu

Cool to have an update on UI, but if it still hangs on scripts recompile, or editor hangs if you have an infinite loop in your code, or crash when your game code crash, then l really don't care.

Just please leave it alone.

29. eobet

eobet

Both of these mock-ups look better than the current Unity effort:

General feedback:
    • The new font seems to have terrible readability on anything below 4K displays, so perhaps keep the old font for "low resolution" displays.
    • Flat buttons are simply evil. Apple has really done a lot of damage to the industry with that.
    • Please add seamless zoom of the UI like Blender has, while you are at it.
    Honestly, if you don't do any of the above, it does feel like an update for update's sake, instead of an update for increased usability. Right now, usability seems down, especially for light mode users (again, Blender's UI has a brilliant way of adding color schemes too).

30. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

Could you share your Editor.log file?

31. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

Can you try https://beta.unity3d.com/download/e48756d5bdf1/public_download.html and tell me if you have the same font rendering issues?

Thanks,

32. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

We are planning to work on allowing the user to change the font and size after landing the first iteration of the new theming.

Thanks,

33. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

Hi,

This is where we want to go and is the reason we are revisiting a lot of how UI is authored in Unity. It turns out that Unity GUI system is pretty old, so the turn around is not that simple considering all the legacy code internally and externally that we need to support. That said, the new USS technology and gui style extension that we are using for the new theming will allow users to provide their own theme (colors, layout, etc.) in the long run. Like any big transition there might be some rough edges,but mid-term we should end up with a system that is much more data-driven and flexible for anyone to play with.

Thank you for your feedback.

34. Ludiq

Ludiq

Salut Benoit!

How close exactly are we exactly from this theme being default?

With Bolt it's probably going to be an uphill battle to get everything ready in time as we use lots of undocumented built-in editor styles. :/

I haven't had time to give it a look yet, but I'll definitely try to offer some feedback!

- Lazlo

35. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Lazlo

We're aiming for early 2019 release cycle.

FROS7 likes this.
  36. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

Since you tweaked the font, the readability of the text has gotten better, but everything feels a lot more cramped.

People have mentioned that the text is worse on non-retina displays, but so are the icons. The move tool and move/scale/rotate tool look especially awful:

It feels like a lot more work needs to be put into padding and alignment.

There have always been things about the Unity UI which were frustrating (tiny buttons, cramped interface, visual complexity). I don't feel like any of that has been improved with this redesign, and a few things have gotten worse (that blue tab highlight is just bizarre - it's so meaningless).

I am hopeful that this is the first step in a lot of upcoming improvements though. I hope you continue to revisit this thread, because I agree with most everything that everyone is saying.

37. slaczky

slaczky

*.\AppData\Local\Unity\2019.1 folder is empty, I can send Editor.log file from \AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\ but inside this file I only see Unity 5.5 logs.
    Since I completly removed the beta 2019 yesterday, I downloaded it again and now it works, I can't reproduce the error again, even with my extensions.

I would like to ask is it possible to add a feature to edit multiple Animation Curves in one window, like seen in this video?

jonathans42 and GameDevCouple_I like this.
  38. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

The biggest pain points for me so far:

• Low-DPI screens should use a pixel-perfect display version of Roboto instead of smoothly filtered font - readability suffers a lot otherwise. Its absolutely crucial to have each glyph aligned with the pixel grid and remanining readable even at size used in EditorStyles.miniLabel style. If a display-optimized version of Roboto is not available, some close alternatives exist, e.g. PF Din Display.
    • DPI scaling should be configurable/optional - some of us have high-resolution + wide-diagonal screens where DPI scaling is completely undesirable.
    • Fix kerning: current screenshots show Roboto seemingly rendered without proper kerning, which results in uneven, mushy appearance of most labels
    • Bold style in Roboto is far too heavy at small resolutions Unity is using on its labels, please use Medium for the "bold" Editor text styles
    What I like:

• New icons
    • Refined dark colors
    • Flat style in general (though styling of component separators and dropdowns/buttons could use some work)

Onigiri, jonathans42 and bobdonovan like this.
  39. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Unity, can you explain the design logic behind making icons flat and single colour? Justify it to us. Because at the moment, it seems like you have ignored UX for the sake of making something that looks better in marketing screenshots & YouTube videos. There is nothing positive from a UX sense in making certain icons (ie. colliders) more ambiguous. Nothing. So please revisit this.

I have been an Asset Store author for years now, and my assets have always been on the "Simple & Usable" side of things from a UI sense, basically stock editor styles designed only with UX/workflow/simplicity in mind. While this new UI system is great in that it will allow for more customisation, for the thousands of people who have downloaded my assets over the years, I have never seen a single customer bring up the look of my assets' editors as an issue vs. other, 'fancier' assets that do look better, because the UX is still optimal & simple and that is what matters to professional developers!

I bring up this anecdote because it should remind you that you are not designing a simple mobile app for your grandmother. You are designing a powerful, complex piece of software that professionals will use upwards of 8 hours every day. I'm all for modernising the UI where it doesn't hurt UX, but if taking away information (ie. colours) from an icon detracts from the information it presents to developers then that is a step backward, simple as that.

Rodolfo-Rubens and mgear like this.
  40. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Thats great, thanks very much for the detailed reply! I like the sound of where unity is heading UX wise!

jonathans42 likes this.
  41. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

42. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

That is out of scope for the re-theming, but we can forward the request to the animation curves team.

Thanks,

slaczky likes this.
  43. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

44. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

Ok I see, at the moment when Unity starts, it takes the main screen DPI scale and use that for the rest of the unity session. So when you move Unity to another screen with a different DPI scale it can cause these artifacts. Until we update the scale when Unity Editor changes screen, can you check that your main screen is the secondary 1920x1200 screen and if you get the same result.

We are working on refreshing the editor DPI scale when windows moves from one screen to the other. It should be available in one of the subsequent beta release.

Thanks,

45. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

You're right, when I open Unity on my second screen, the icons look better.

By the way, is there any chance Unity will support macOS dark mode? I can't imagine it would affect much, but would be nice to have the few native UI elements match the rest of my OS. Thanks!

46. Baste

Baste

That's great to hear - the UI system is very much in need of a revamp, so this is the right thing to do. Please don't make the same mistake the forums made, though, and combine a replacement of the backend with a replacement of the UI. That caused the entire community to pretty much rebel, the change was reverted after a (somewhat entertaining week), and all plans for an upgrade to the backend has seemingly been put on ice indefinitely.

I'm by no means an experienced project lead, so take this with a grain of salt, but;
    You have two tasks at hand - fixing the crummy old UI backend, and modernizing the UI. If you do those two tasks at the same time, you tie their fates together, and risk having to scrap one if the other one fails.

From this thread, it's clear that the community really wants customizable UI, and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone that's been involved in creating editors would love to have a better API (USS) to work with. So working towards that creates a lot of value for your end-users (hi!) at a pretty low risk.

It's also very clear that a lot of people are very vocal about not liking the new UI direction, and that exactly what people dislike about it (other than fonts) is all over the place. I also haven't ever heard anyone complain about Unity's look and feel - from all of the things that I've ever heard people say eg. Unreal does better than you, it's never once been mentioned. So the value created is a lot lower, and the risk seems a lot higher.

So my suggestion is: ensure that it's possible to resize and adjust and customize while keeping the old look mostly intact, and then do the UI modernization if you still think it's a good idea.

jonathans42 likes this.
  47. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

The Unity GUI is custom drawn, but I guess over time that is something we could do, to be more friendly with how the OS draws its own UI. I'll leave the UX team decide when or not to put this on the roadmap, but I believe it is a good idea.

highlyinteractive likes this.
  48. Edy

Edy

Thanks for the new build! Yes, it has the same font rendering issues, see the pic below.

The only difference with the previous build is that some bold texts now look exactly as non-bold text. Other than that, the font issues are exactly the same as described in my previous post.

This is the comparison with the latest build. The [Header] decorations are now exactly as other texts, but with smaller line separation:

upload_2018-10-15_18-17-29.png

(click the pic for full size)

This is how bold texts were displayed in the previous 2019 build:

upload_2018-10-15_18-22-0.png

But as you can see, font rendering is exactly the same as before.

49. jonathans42

jonathans42

Unity Technologies

Ok thanks, we'll see from there how we can improve or revert back to lucida grande.

50. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

@jonathans42
    Can you confirm whether the Editor on Windows is actually using Lucida Grande? This post suggests otherwise:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.