Search Unity

New editor camera controls in 2019.1 are great, but...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Fewes, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Fewes

Fewes

Please, make the scroll wheel change the speed exponentially, let us turn off acceleration, and remove the arbitrary speed cap at 99x. Even though 99 seems high, some of us work in huge scenes and need to quickly zoom around them.

An example of why the linear change in speed is a problem is that when I have it set to 0.5x, one scroll tick will take me up to 3.5x, a 600% increase, but when I'm at 66x, it will take me to 68x, which is only a ~3% change! This means that if I tweak something at a small level and want to move to another area of my scene, I have to scroll like crazy to go from 0.5x to 99x. On the other end, if I have the speed set high and I'm approaching an area I would like to work in, the camera will grind to a complete stop because it is impossible to know how many scroll ticks will bring it down to a reasonable "local" speed.
    To further complicate things, the acceleration kicks in halfway and makes it very hard to end up where I want.
    Now, I understand the idea behind the acceleration, but it is much better to allow the user to control the speed themselves, and set up the multipliers to fit their game type.
    I previously used an editor script I had created myself which did exactly this, but the new update to the scene camera broke it. From testing I can tell you that multiplying the camera speed with 1.5 for up and 0.75 for down feels very easy to control.

This stuff is so rudimentary to implement, yet it has a huge impact on editor workflow. If you don't want to confuse the user with too many variables, please hide it in the editor preferences.
    Also please note that when I say acceleration, I am not talking about the "camera easing" feature. I am talking about the hidden acceleration that kicks in after you've moved the camera for a few seconds.
    I also noticed that there is a SceneView.CameraSettings class. Unfortunately the variables don't seem to be exposed to script, which is a shame.

Big props to the Unity team for finally getting on this, but it still has ways to go.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    frarf likes this.
  2. frarf

frarf

Please. Camera acceleration is so annoying, I thought 2019.1 would be the update to fix this (with "camera easing") but I was seriously wrong. At least have it as a toggle.

3. Hunter_Bobeck

Hunter_Bobeck

The more options the better.

4. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm not sure whether it helps, but when I'm zooming in/out significantly in the scene view, I almost always use alt-rmb + drag for quick movement. I believe it's still based on the same increment as the scroll wheel, but I always feel like it moves much faster than I can get with the mouse wheel.