Search Unity

Feedback New DOTS Hierarchy Window Should Not Affect ChangeVersion Unless Value Changed

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by msfredb7, Jul 10, 2022.

1. msfredb7

msfredb7

I recently upgraded to Entities 0.51 and I got to play with the new DOTS Hierarchy window a bit.

I quickly realised that inspecting an entity seems to change the 'ChangeVersion' on its archetype. I believe this behaviour is incorrect and should only occur when the user changes a value in the inspector.

Reasons:
    1. Observing the world should not affect it in any way. This can result in quantum bugs (bugs that stop occurring when you debug)
    2. I have validation systems that check for ChangeVersion bumps and log any errors when components change when it was not intended. More specifically, I have 2 worlds, one simulation and one presentation. To make sure the presentation does not modify the simulation when it is observing it, I have alarm systems that log errors if they detect modifs outside of the sim update time range. I believe this pattern could be common, and I think it would be worth addressing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback. We're aware of this issue and we'll try to fix it soon.

Kmsxkuse, msfredb7 and PhilSA like this.
  3. TieSKey

TieSKey

Wow entities went quantum!!!

(Sorry for the lame comment, I couldn't resist, hjahaha)