Search Unity

New Data Reset Functionality

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by kateharris, Jan 13, 2017.

1. kateharris

kateharris

Unity Technologies

Data Reset

Unity Analytics allows you to permanently clear all data from your Analytics dashboard by performing a data reset. This action CANNOT be undone, so please read this documentation and alert message in the Analytics dashboard carefully before carrying out this action. Learn more below about when this functionality may be useful and what impacts this will have on the data in your Analytics project.

When to perform a data reset

The main use case for resetting data in an Analytics project is to wipe data from your dashboard immediately prior to launching (or re-releasing) your game. This ensures the data you collect after the reset is clean and not mixed with previously collected data, which may skew your analyses.

Important Note: You may have to wait up to 36 hours for new data to populate the dashboard.

Common scenarios:

• Wiping data collected during development and testing prior to launching your game
    • Wiping data from a pre-release or beta version
    • Wiping data prior to launching your game in a Store
    • Wiping data prior to a product re-launch

Please note that performing a data reset is optional. You may never need to use this feature for the scenarios mentioned above.

How this impacts your data

Performing a data reset will take place immediately - ie. the data in your dashboard will be impacted from the day you reset it. You cannot specify another date to reset your data on.

Resetting your data will impact these Analytics elements as follows:

• Dashboard: Will be permanently wiped of all visible data, including data in charts.
    • Custom event data: Will be permanently wiped from dashboard. Note that custom events you have instrumented in your project don’t need to be re-validated.
    • Reports, Funnels, Segments: All data associated with these configurations you have created in your project will be permanently wiped from dashboard. However, the configurations themselves will not be deleted. For example, if you created a 3-step funnel that is populated with data and then performed a data reset, the 3-step funnel would still be present in your dashboard but would no longer be populated with data.
    • Livestream: Will NOT be affected by performing a data reset.
    • Raw Data Export: Will NOT be affected by performing a data reset. Historical data can still be accessed by performing an export and all previous exports you have run will still be present in the Activity table on the Raw Data Export page.

How to perform a data reset

To perform a data reset, open the web dashboard for the Analytics project that you want to reset and go to “Configure”. Click on “Reset Data” and a pop-up box will appear. Please make sure to read the alert message carefully. Type the name of your project into the textbox and click “Reset”. The data reset will occur immediately.

When data is reset, the following details will be provided about the last reset in “Configure”:

• Date and time the reset occurred
    • User who performed the reset

Please note only Project Owners and Managers can perform this action. Project Users do not have permission to perform a reset.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. DerWoDaSo

DerWoDaSo

3. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@DerWoDaSo,

You can disable Custom Events on the Event Manager page. This will prevent them from being processed and it will remove them from the Data Explorer.

I don't think there is anything similar for application versions. I will pass this suggestion onto our engineers though.

4. yakupyahya

yakupyahya

hi. I reset the analytics data before my game was released. I posted my game in the play store and only I downloaded my game and reviewed the analytics rollup, but all values in my data are zero.

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

It takes our system 8-16 hours to process new events, sometimes twice that long if we are experiencing heavy traffic. So give it a bit more time.

ZRogers likes this.
  6. NamekGames

NamekGames

THERE IS LITERALLY NO "Configure" OR ANYTHING SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU ARE DESCRIBING. Unity and the outdated documentation...