Search Unity

Official New! Customisable Capsule Character

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Woolley_Kat, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Woolley_Kat

Woolley_Kat

Unity Technologies

Hi everybody!

We’ve been working on a simple but highly customizable character which we’ve called Capsule Character.

The Capsule Character has a fixed skeleton but is completely resizable. It has settings for controlling the movement and jumping of the character. The character is completely rigged using the Animation Rigging package.

The physical movement of the character is independent of animation - it does not use root motion - but the character will use the rigging for the legs to match its movement speed.

The character uses the Input System package by default and does not have a dependency on any particular camera, though the default does expect a reference to a camera to determine the relative input direction. This means if you wish to use different input for the character (such as click to move or some form of AI) then you are free to do so. Capsule Characters are represented by Scriptable Objects which share a lot of functionality with prefabs (instantiate by dragging into the hierarchy or calling a method using a reference to the asset) but are separate from prefabs so that you are free to use them as part of your own prefabs as you wish.

The Capsule Character system can be downloaded as a zipped package here. To install it, follow these steps:

1. Unzip the file in a convenient location.

2. In Unity, open the Package Manager by going to Window > Package Manager.

3. In the top left corner of the Package Manager, click the Plus button dropdown.

4. Select “Add package from disk…”

5. In the file selection dialog, choose the package.json file in the unzipped CapsuleCharacter folder.

For more information about the features of the character and how it works see the How To guide.

We’d love to hear your feedback: anything you like, don’t like, things you expected that weren’t there and things that you didn’t expect but were glad to see.

FAQ

1. If the character is just a bunch of capsules, won’t it look rubbish in my game?
    The aim for the Capsule Character project is to make something that is very easy to prototype with. We fully expect characters to be removed before a game is released. That said, you are more than welcome to use any or all of the Capsule Character project in a fully released project if you wish.

1. I found a bug, what should I do?
      If you are unfortunate enough to find a bug, we’d really love to hear about it so we can fix it. Please post a comment here that describes what went wrong, how it went wrong, any errors you got and if possible a video or gif showing the bug.

2. I’d really love for you to include X feature, please can you?
      The character as it stands is very simple, but flexible. Part of the reason behind its simplicity is to allow this flexibility. As such if your feature request is something like: climbing, swimming, or combat, then it’s unlikely we’ll be able to accommodate that feature. If on the other hand you are looking for a feature that will improve the usability or user experience of the Capsule Character then that is something we can potentially look into.

3. Ummmm... where’s the camera?
      There is no camera provided by default because the character doesn’t depend on any particular camera movement. Some characters made using this system will not need cameras and forcing those users to work around that is undesirable. That said, we understand that it will be common to want a character and we recommend using a Free Look camera provided by the Cinemachine package.

Attached Files:

2. Woolley_Kat

Woolley_Kat

Unity Technologies

Attached Files:

M_MG_S and adamgolden like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Really useful and great for proto and dev! The simplicity is what people need to actually get using it as opposed to battling cameras and all sorts of game specific nonsense.

Also found myself charmed by the shapes!

M_MG_S, adamgolden and cirocontinisio like this.
  4. spidersoftware

spidersoftware

hello i imported the files and is exit one error
    i attach one an image of the error

Attached Files:

5. spidersoftware

spidersoftware

other error

Attached Files:

6. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@spidersoftware Hello there. It's difficult to tell exactly what's going on but it looks like you might have duplicated the files somewhere. Did you unzip the package and then add it to the project's Assets folder? If so this will almost certainly be what is causing the issue. The package is designed to be used by the package manager. To install please follow these steps:

The Capsule Character system can be downloaded as a zipped package here. To install it, follow these steps:

1. Unzip the file in a convenient location.

2. In Unity, open the Package Manager by going to Window > Package Manager.

3. In the top left corner of the Package Manager, click the Plus button dropdown.

4. Select “Add package from disk…”

5. In the file selection dialog, choose the package.json file in the unzipped CapsuleCharacter folder.

7. spidersoftware

spidersoftware

never never.
    I did as you say but exit this error

Attached Files:

8. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@spidersoftware The file that you have selected there is in the Assets folder. That means at some point they got added to there somehow. If you can see the Capsule Character folder in the Packages folder then that should be all you need and you can delete the files from your Assets folder.

9. r31o

r31o

Just saw this and I like how the character looks, but I have my own movement.
    Can I combine the character model with my movement?
    Also, my project is installing the new input system, burst... I dont use any of them, so I can remove them, right?

10. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@r31o Absolutely. There are a few things to keep in mind when doing so. This character uses Generic rigging. This means that in order to be animated by a clip, the bindings on the clip must match the names of the bones of the character. It is possible to manipulate it into a Humanoid rig but that is less straightforward. Humanoid rigs can only be set on imported models and so to do this, you would need to use the FBX exporter package to create the FBX and then use the import settings for it to create the Humanoid avatar. My recommendation would be using the Generic rig and matching bindings and bone names if possible.

r31o likes this.
  11. r31o

r31o

Animation rigging will work with the character?

12. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

13. measlystormnetworkuk2020

measlystormnetworkuk2020

I tried to import it but got lots of script errors so I removed it.