Search Unity

Unity NEW! Creator Kit: Beginner Code

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by katwoolley, Aug 22, 2019.

1. katwoolley

katwoolley

Unity Technologies

MooseCloseUp2_AssetStore_SocialMedia (1).jpg

Welcome to the fourth Creator Kit - Beginner Code.

Creator Kits are short step-by-step tutorials which enable beginners to gain a good understanding of Unity.
    This Beginner Code kit introduces you to the fundamentals of C#; from understanding how to read a script to creating your own variables and adjusting the gameplay in this top-down action RPG.

Explore the town of Rancho Rodadora and do some feisty gardening as the rakish sheriff Moose, defeat Cactus Nails and battle Cactus Bossy in the example game that accompanies this beginner code project.

Let us know what you think of the project, any problems, issues or delightful insights. Help us make our content even better for you. Check it out on the learn site Here and Asset Store Here

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  2. YouWinNest

YouWinNest

Okay..Lets Learn..On standard way

3. Wawruch2

Wawruch2

Can't find it in my projects tab, my friends have the same problem. I can find the previous ones tho

4. Tacoor-Gafruf

Tacoor-Gafruf

got the same problem i think its the unity version i have installed. going to install reccommend version

edit:- nope i dont see it in the list still

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  5. HostileTech

HostileTech

Hi there, for some reason I am also unable to find the project in my unity hub, is there an alternative manner to download the project?

6. Aurore

Aurore

Head of Learn Content Production Unity Technologies

Hi, We've updated the links on the forum post as well as added the project to the Learn Tab on the Hub

7. mario83

mario83

I think there is a step missing. After we implement the myLootAngle constructor, there is no explanation as to how to use this in the Spawn function to actually set the new angles. Either it's missing or I am blind.
    I managed to figure it out, but it was pretty frustrating, because I did not know, if I had made a mistake.

8. HostileTech

HostileTech

Hi Aurore, thanks for the update. I am able to see the project under the projects tab but it has no option for me to create an instance of that project, when I click open in unity from the website it shows me the project but no download for the files, just view tutorials.

9. Aurore

Aurore

Head of Learn Content Production Unity Technologies

Hi,

This is fixed now, you can also download the assets from the link on the tutorial page

upload_2019-8-23_17-6-35.png

Also from the Asset Store here https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/tutorials/creator-kit-beginner-code-151986

10. HostileTech

HostileTech

Hi Aurore,

I am able to see it now. Though it took a little longer than expected, as in I read the post and then went back and forth and option was still missing, if somehow possible its still a glitch or my unity hub did not sync correctly, what I did before it showed me the button, I created another project and clicked through asset store to download and then when I opened unity hub again, under projects when I clicked on it, it showed me the option to download project. (In case anyone else in similar boat as me at the time.)

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
    Regards

11. rkaetano

rkaetano

The project looks great, but I'm facing some problems with the terrain.

When I open the scene, depending of the angle I'm facing, the terrain appears to be rotated.
    And in game, I cannot see the terrain.

Any ideas of what could it be ?

upload_2019-8-24_7-1-45.png

upload_2019-8-24_7-2-42.png

upload_2019-8-24_7-3-50.png

upload_2019-8-24_7-4-56.png

12. Valjuin

Valjuin

Your Scene view is showing the Game User Interface (GameObject “GameUI” in Hierarchy).

In Hierarchy, select GameObject “MikeMoose” from Character dropdown, move your cursor over the Scene view and press the F key.

13. rkaetano

rkaetano

The problem is with the terrain, not the UI.

14. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Why not using an enum on Attributes ? (strength, dexterity and so on)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  15. stobak

stobak

16. ProToeType

ProToeType

Just finished the tutorial! Very cool stuff, C# is one matryoshka nesting doll of a concept very cool!
    Thank You Unity!

17. UnityRos

UnityRos

Unity Technologies

You're absolutely right -- I'm sorry for the frustration. The tutorial has been updated with the missing step.

Thanks for flagging this -- it's been corrected. :)

18. AndyTruman

AndyTruman

That's great - Thank you for sharing! :)

19. Devision4

Devision4

wouldnt a video tutorial more efficient instead of a written one?

AndyTruman likes this.
  20. AndyTruman

AndyTruman

You are right Devision4 - I do agree with you!

21. simon99hall

simon99hall

Download gives errors and doesnt run
    upload_2019-8-31_15-38-9.png

22. UnityGuillaume

UnityGuillaume

Unity Technologies

The screenshots only show warnings, those shouldn't stop the project from working (but thanks for reporting them, we should try to remove those in the next release).

If you press play in the state the editor is in that screenshot, nothing will happen as the scene is empty. The 1st tutorial will guide you to open the right scene to test the game (part 7 here : https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/ge...025dedbc2a0020e85be2#5d4c222fedbc2a00219044fa )

simon99hall likes this.
  23. spiraloid

spiraloid

Gamepad support would be awesome with this.

24. BjarteNor

BjarteNor

I'm trying to find out how "AttackEvent" and "FootstepEvent" in AnimationControllerDispatcher. I tried adding my own enemy, but it does not get these triggered... I have been checking it up and down to match the game object or if it's in the animation controller, simply can't find references for "Footstep" anywere. Please help :)

25. BjarteNor

BjarteNor

Oh whoops, I found it by using Total Commander search, it's baked into the animation :)

Example from: CactusBossy_Walk

upload_2019-9-12_22-52-5.png

26. scarabelt

scarabelt

I really liked it, but i want to enlarge the map. i tried to remove some grass and paint the sand on it but i can't walk there?
    How can i walk on that terrain?