Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion New contextual menu is not easy to read

Discussion in 'Unity 6 Beta' started by Lars-Steenhoff, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

eudendeew and mgear like this.
  2. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

I think maybe there is two main things causing this to be harder to read.

First one is the contrast of colors and shadow blue of the text. The text bleeds more into the background more with the new UI.

Second thing is the change in the default calculated value of font sharpness in the general settings.
    When they updated to the new Text Core system the default value is like half.

For the Editor Text Sharpness settings it is located in preferences not the project settings.
    Go to Preferences/General/Editor Text Sharpness
    It will be a slider bar.

After changing that it did help a lot, but still needs a bit better contrast colors.

CiroContns and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

High information density is good IMO. I like the new one. Fuzziness is a bug tho.
    What would really be an improvement is icon in the margin.

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes I’m talking about the fuzziness and the size, I think one size larger will help.
    and yes margins left right is too high, The spacing between each line I can live with.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

No need. I remember a setting in postscript, a hint to the bezier rasterizer, when tuning that to small font it prevented anti alias bluriness. That exists in whatever postscript is on windows.

6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I hope this will be fixed before 2023 reaches LTS, or I will not be upgrading to 2023.

7. tertle

tertle

Maybe I'm weird but I personally prefer it. Probably just used to dark mode on everything.

8. mgear

mgear

old one was certainly easier to read & nice standard style,
    upload_2023-11-7_9-45-14.png

new menu is so wide that you have to move mouse (almost) across whole screen.. (but search field is very nice!)
    upload_2023-11-7_9-44-58.png

9. tertle

tertle

I got no idea why yours is so wide, mine is similar to the OP in width which is thinner than previous version

upload_2023-11-7_18-54-31.png

10. mgear

mgear

ok, well that is better then! (I'm on 2023.3.0a11)
    *same in 2023.3.0a12 (win10), maybe ill report a bug then

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I’m talking about the font size, dark color is fine for me. The font just need to be larger by one size, the old one had that.

12. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Might want to check if your UI scaling option in preferences got changed. I had it in the past where updating alphas changed my use desktop scaling option to be turned on. If it is off I would just bump the UI scaling by about 25% in Unity.

If that makes everything else too big I would just enter a new font size just for the context menu. You can override each Unity UI menus individual font size with the TSS file.

Think the context menu is called
    .unity-base-dropdown__item

Attaching an image to make it easier to see.

Attached Files:

13. mgear

mgear

14. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

I agree completely, the text is much less readable, although I like the search bar and dark theme.

+1 from me

15. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Im using a Mac and don’t have scaling on, when I have unity 2022 and 2023 open side by side its clearly smaller.

Can you show me how to override the contextual menu in 2023 ? would love to know how, thanks.

16. tertle

tertle

Oh yeah totally updated from a8 to a12 and now it's wide.
    Yeah I don't like that

17. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

@antoine-unity Would you happen to know how to increase the contextual menu font size with a TSS file?

18. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

That won't possible. Exposing font sizing options for the Editor is something in our radar, but not possible yet and not via TSS files

Kabinet13 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  19. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for clarifying and good to hear options are on the radar
    Will they be in 2023 LTS or after that?

In the meantime could you please increase the font size one size larger for the contextual menu’s on Mac in 2023 so we can read them easily?

20. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

I was trying to figure out how to update the context menu in a TSS file and sadly I also found out they haven't released that API yet as mentioned by Antoine.

Seems the DefaultThemeFile is locked in some areas now. Which kind of seems counter productive. At the moment you can import the Default setting and use them for custom tools and Panels.

Thought there already released that functionality.

21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes sadly it's not possible to adjust.

By the way it seems on PC the text is sharp so its a MAC only issue, probably because the new contextual menu's were developed on PC and just used the same code for MAC, in this case there should be on option to increase the menu font size on MAC to make it in line with the Native Mac contextual menu's that were used for the past 10 years in unity up until Unity 2022.

2023 changed it from native OS to unity code and without comparing how it looked before on mac.

I was already afraid this could happen before it happened

22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

@TomasKucinskas Any update on making the new UIToolkit contextual menu font larger on mac?
    Thanks

23. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

If anybody at unity happens to read this, I think a lot of us would like it if you made a quick feedback thread about the context menus, similar to how some other features have been rolled out. Somewhere we can talk to developers directly and inform the next iteration on these context menus.

They definitely need more work as it stands, and it would suck to see this feedback buried.

Thygrrr, uMathieu and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  24. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

I find the new one easier to read but would appreciate if it was reduced 50% in item count and that the search field was auto focused when it appears. Having. To click that tiny bar is so annoying.

80% of the items I never use.

Import package...? Why is that in a context menu for a non-package selection. This can go into the Asset menu, better even File menu.

Update UXML? Why is that in a context menu for a non-UXML selection?

Align view to selected? Why is that in a context menu for an asset? How can I hide it from my context menu altogether, I know where my F key is
    ... And so on.

25. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

totally agree. I love how we can add menu items to the editor toolbar. It would be awesome if we could also remove these already existing both in the toolbar and context menu.

26. mariandev

mariandev

It looks like they are reverting back to OS Menus in the 2023.3 beta.

Due to the state of the new Contextual Menus feature, we decided to revert to OS Menus in 2023.3. Hence, we are cancelling all 2023.2.X ports and recommend using 2023.3.0b1 or higher for more stable context menus. The feature will be reconsidered in future versions.
    Source: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ield-with-nested-choices-when-using-uitoolkit

27. Wow. So much for the search option... in a long time, it was an improvement I was really happy with.
    We expect too much from Unity. We expect that they build a working main menu and then it turns out they can't build a simple context menu either.

PixelDough likes this.
  28. spiney199

spiney199

Yeah that's a real bummer. The new contextual menus looked good, and the search was useful. Back to square one.

29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I’m happy that is reverted back, even of it means no search. ( personally never used that in a contextual menu )

Only roll out something in LTS if its really better than it was.

halley likes this.
  30. That is at least 10 months away. What they are saying is that they are unable to make a working and satisfactory context menu in more than 10 months. And I was happy with the current one, albeit I'm on Windows 10.

31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Maybe they looked good in windows, but they looked worse on Mac

32. spiney199

spiney199

Damn Mac minority dragging the rest of us down. :u

33. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Actually seems the other way around, Windows design likely caused a mac UI downgrade, I would be voting for a different styled UI to match the operating system, so each unity version looks native for its operating system. and I’m only talking about system UI triggered from unity, not unity UI itself.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  34. spiney199

spiney199

It was a wry comment. Don't take it too seriously.

35. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I know ;)

36. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

As the note says ("The feature will be reconsidered in future versions."), we will try to bring it back eventually, once we get it in a good shape. Unfortunately right now we have a tremendous amount of confirmed unique regressions coming from this feature (not only in context menus, but also in seemingly unrelated parts of the editor UI) with more getting discovered faster than we can fix them. So we erred on the side of caution and stability.

And you're right, its shape is much better on Windows than on Mac or Linux.

37. We're talking about a beta software, if you were confident that you can make it work until release, you wouldn't remove it, you would fix it. (Obviously, you as in Unity in general, nothing personal)

38. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yup, hence "future versions".

39. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

Hopefully this does make a comeback.. the darker styling of context menu also fits in with the dark theme. By default Windows trainwreck OS styling, I just never want to see it if I can help it now (MS is beyond hope at this point progressively destroying windows), so this would be alot better... also huge fan of Maya's detachable menu's, so useful in many workflow contexts, would be good to see that feature aswel.

40. PixelDough

PixelDough

Just downloaded the Unity 6 beta to check it out and was shocked that the old OS context menus are back. Wondered what happened, and found this thread... Guess I won't be using Unity 6 when it releases, because the searchable context menu was a huge deal for me working across both Windows and MacOS and I'm not going back to the OS context menus

41. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm happy to native context menus are back and I never want to have them removed. But of the searching inside the menu's can help people I would not mind to have those optionally. But never at the cost of native menu's.

42. Ryiah

Ryiah

Meanwhile I've started investigating creating my own searchable context menu. I finally discovered a way to turn off the default context menu when I right click in the Hierarchy window.

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. [InitializeOnLoad]
    5. public static class HierarchyContextMenuBlocker
    6. {
    7.     static HierarchyContextMenuBlocker()
    8.     {
    9.         EditorApplication.hierarchyWindowItemOnGUI += OnHierarchyItemGUI;
    10.     }
    12.     private static void OnHierarchyItemGUI(int instanceID, Rect selectionRect)
    13.     {
    14.         Event currentEvent = Event.current;
    16.         if (currentEvent.type == EventType.ContextClick)
    17.         {
    18.             // Check if the click is within the bounds of a hierarchy item
    19.             /*
    20.             if (selectionRect.Contains(currentEvent.mousePosition))
    21.             {
    22.                 // Suppress the context menu
    23.                 currentEvent.Use();
    24.             }
    25.             */
    27.             currentEvent.Use();
    28.         }
    29.     }
    30. }

43. PixelDough

PixelDough

Ideally the engine would support both. Use engine-specific context menus, but let you turn on the OS context menus in the editor's preferences. But I can't see a future where supporting two context menus works out for Unity.

I guess I'd be okay if they at least updated the framework used for the Windows context menus. Every single other application I use either implements its own, or utilizes the most up to date context menus for the operating system, but Unity's don't match the latest OS. I think I read somewhere that this was due to the underlying framework that the entirety of Unity utilizes, so I really doubt they will be updated any time soon

o7 good luck! I'd take just about anything other than the OS context menu lol

44. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think Windows and Mac should be able to have different style menus, So really don’t mind in windows to have not native as native sucks there, but for mac I like to have native.

Ryiah and PixelDough like this.
  45. Ryiah

Ryiah

Or better yet just make it an option (and ideally not required to be turned off/on on a per project basis).

PixelDough and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  46. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

Yes this would be fine considering most the bugs aren't on Windows aswel. And unlike where the dark theme context menu actually looks pretty consistent and decent across software on Mac, Windows everything is becoming an ugly and jarring mess of visual styles almost as broken and as bad as Linux. So what's another piece software just going there own way with theming and ux... I guess out of things I can't stand about Apple atleast they haven't allowed there OS to look like a clown show, just trikes me as stupid that MS copy all the worse things from Apple like centered oversized taskbar buttons etc.

So what is the wait for it now Unity 7? didn't expect it to be abandoned just improved, filter search at the top of a context is very useful given how much stuff gets buried in these context sub menus and I won't stop bringing up detachable menus like Maya should absolutely be a feature of it.

47. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It's not fully abandoned, it will come back once it can be implemented in a way that is an improvement on the current system, there were a lot of regressions related to the last implementation. ( personally I hope is does stay native on Mac )

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  48. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

"personally I hope is does stay native" ..on Mac yes that's understandable, I wouldn't even want to guess at the ugly future of Windows there last attempt at improving the context menu was so bad on Win11 it's better to just disable it, somehow the idea of them giving users the choice of font sizing, padding etc and making theming easier is now lost at MS so everything they do must look and work bad, its for the greater majority as I'm sure all telemetry data suggests to them literal monkeys would prefer it that way.

49. Ryiah

Ryiah

We'll likely be waiting for a while since this is the company that's taken years to do basic stuff in UI Toolkit.

boyaregames likes this.
  50. funnymanwin

funnymanwin

We'll likely be waiting for a while since this is the company that's taken years to create multiplayer for their engine.
    And I don't even talk about launching of multiple game windows in the editor, which we received only recently and again in an 'experimental' state of course.