Search Unity

NEW: Characters that can swim, climb, hang on ledges, move on platforms, etc

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by tornadotwins, Oct 19, 2010.

1. tornadotwins

tornadotwins

TornadoTwins Chris Backas proudly present:

One of the most anticipated prefabs of all-time! Over 3 coders and 3 artists have worked to get this off the ground over a span of five months.
    This Character Kit is an incredible jumping off place for learning how to implement a fully controlled character in your own game!

There's full support for the following situations:

SWIMMING

- Transitioning to swimming in water,
    - Buoyancy (physics based floating behavior of body in water)
    - Climbing out of a pool
    - Shimmy left/right while hanging on the pool's ledge

LEDGES

- Hanging from ledges
    - Shimmying side-to-side while hanging on ledge
    - Climbing up from ledge

LADDERS

- Climbing ladders of any length (any number of ladders in your level)
    - Pull-up transition when reaching top of the ladder

MOVEMENT INTERACTION

- Sliding off ramps that are too steep (with a Rigidbody)
    - Moving platforms (with a Rigidbody)
    - Jumping after an animation delay
    - Picking up objects
    - Having the character hold the item he picked up

This kit comes with four pre-set camera kits that are modified to fit the character:

INCLUDED CAMERA BEHAVIORS

- Player Relative (camera follows character directly over-shoulder)
    - Camera Relative (camera follows character but faces direction set by the mouse)
    - First Person Shooter (camera attached to a bone inside the character's head)
    - Side Scroller (camera follows character from the side)

**Although we recommend implementing your own character to fit your game, this kit comes with a character equipped with 17 animations**

ANIMATIONS

Idle while hanging, Move left while hanging, Move right while hanging, Hang + pull up transition to standing, Idle, Jump, Ladder climbing, Pick up object, Run backwards, Run forward, Strafe-run left, Strafe-run right, Swim forward, Swim to hang transition, Walk backwards, Walk forward, Jump with event, Pickup with event.

Of course you can use the standard character in your game but you'll be happy to know this kit was built to support any character. We highly recommend constructing
    your own advanced character movements off of this kit.

YOU CAN FIND IT HERE:

Javascript version (Unity 3 2.6):
    http://gameprefabs.com/products/show/88

C# version (Unity 3 2.6)
    http://gameprefabs.com/products/show/87

Enjoy!

TornadoTwins

PS: Discount ending this week!

2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Perfect timing and the features are great.

So what will be the normal price after the discount?
    Will there be an update with a diving feature?
    Do the C# or th JS version work on the IPhone and/or Android?

Is there an upgrade (or sidegrade from JS to C#) price if i buy at first the indie version and later want the pro (for all your products)?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  3. Eagle32

Eagle32

Looks pretty good, however I think the preview could do with a bit more polish.

Couple of things I noticed:
    1. The speed of the strafing animation is way out of proportion with the speed the character is moving from side to side.
    2. The move Left/Right while hanging animations are reversed (you get the move left animation while moving right and vise versa).

4. IonDave

IonDave

Are the animations separate using @notation or contained within a single file? Are all source files for the artwork included? If so, what are the formats? Thanks

5. defjr

defjr

The jumping was driving me crazy in the example.

6. dhendrix

dhendrix

Pretty cool but those animations are absolutely horrid. The jumping in particular reminds me of some crappy third rate platformer; no one likes jumping delays with long crouching sequences.

EDIT: And yes I know it only affects the demo and not the prefab itself, but the quality of the preview may be off-putting to potential customers. (of which I am not one, so my opinion is probably irrelevant anyway).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  7. IonDave

IonDave

Ah, wish I could see them but youtube doesn't play here at work. I'll have to see them when I get home. Animations can be tweaked though I hope.

8. DavidB

DavidB

Very cool prefab, will definitely save a lot of time for those who need this sort of functionality. I really like the camera kit portion of the prefab. Great work guys, no doubt this one wasn't easy to pull off :D

9. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Pretty neat! Just a quick bug I noticed: If you run at the ladder and then jump towards it, and while in air press F. The player will begin a continuous climbing state and climb up in the air until infinity! lol.

This may be duplicated by simply jumping and pressing F. I'm not sure, didn't take too much time reproducing the bug :p.

10. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

That is what i do not like.
    So many questions and no answer from unityprefabs.

:(

11. SarperS

SarperS

Just move your mouse back and forth with some speed and the camera will flip top down and it will also rotate in Z axis. I've told them about this problem numerous times and the fix is really simple, a line of code almost and they still haven't fixed it.

I have encountered a numerous other bugs too. I have jumped on the moving platform and it teleported me somewhere (cheap fix for a bug?) I fell to where water and the ledge meets and the player got stuck in the hanging animation with no control. By that point I've stopped testing the demo further.

Too sad. Great presentations and poor products...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  12. grfxman

grfxman

I agree with a lot of the posts. There are an incredible number of bugz with this product. I have yet to successfully get the character out of the pool once he is in. Also the climbing function is erratic at best.

The price for something at this stage of development is highly unrealistic. I could go on with more problems, but I think you get the point. I will check on it in a couple of months to see if it has been improved.

13. thelastowl

thelastowl

yer i came across quite a few problems with it as well like jumping out of the water, it ended up in a few different errors, one was acceding one was a glitch

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seemed buggy climbing out of pool, the camera jerked endlessly and he got stuck.

Animations don't feel light and fluid.

glitchy when moving on and off moving platforms.

So far it is far from what you would expect from tomb raider 1 on ps1 let alone unity. I would urge some polish here. If this feedback seems negative, then remember that negative feedback is better than positive.

15. granada

granada

Cant get out of the pool,he dosent seem to be getting hi enough to get out.A good idea but not worth the money (yet).

Dave