Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official New Build Target Configuration Experience

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Max_F_Unity, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Max_F_Unity

Max_F_Unity

Unity Technologies

The Cloud Build team is committed to ensuring that you have a great experience when automating your build workflows. Today, we are excited to launch a brand-new user interface for configuring build targets designed to maximize your productivity and intuitiveness of Unity Cloud Build.

First, we’ve updated how you view your configured build targets, showing targets in a table. This makes it easier for you to have all your targets under control and quickly find the target you are looking for. You can also trigger a build at a push of a button on this screen. This is the first of many steps towards making it easier to modify multiple configs.

Main Configurations page​

You now have two options to set up a new build target: “Quick target setup” and “Target setup”.
    Using the “Quick target setup”, you can see the bare minimum configurations necessary to configure a build target for each platform in a stepper experience that offers you more guidance. This is the way to go if you don’t want a massive set of unnecessary configurations.

Quick target setup flow for iOS​

If you’d like more control over your build target configurations, you can choose the “Target setup” option. You will first set up the basic settings necessary for launching your build target in this flow. Then, you can either save your configuration or move to the advanced settings.

Target setup basis settings for iOS​

If you decide to set up the advanced settings, you’ll see all the remaining settings available for the selected platform. We’ve categorized these settings into meaningful categories and provided enough guidelines and extra links for you to set up your build target comfortably.

Target setup advanced settings for iOS​

We put a lot of love into these new designs and hope you enjoy using them. Let us know your feedback on the latest designs and if you think any other flows need attention.

Thank you,
    Cloud Build team

scotth-unity likes this.
  2. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

Note: If your build is not creating an .ipa, .apk or other export but are expecting one, please make note of the following.

During the recent UI update, when using Addressables, the default selection was changed to do a "Content Only Build". This results in the build not creating an export. We have brought this to the attention of the Web development team and they are going to go through and create an update to resolve this as that shouldn't be the default.

In the mean-time, if you are using addressables go into the target's advanced settings and uncheck the "Content Only Build" checkbox (unless that is what you want). By disabling "Content Only Builds" an export will be created for your build.

Max_F_Unity likes this.
  3. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

I'm having an issue and I'm not sure if it's related to these changes or something else. We have a Plastic repo that was correctly building with our iOS and Android targets but now is displaying the following message while editing the configuration and no branches are showing up under the Branches dropdown (we have many branches in our repo):

"This appears to be a plastic repo without any branches. Add at least one branch to this repo to proceed."

Update: As I was typing this message, suddenly our repo branches started showing up in the Branch list in our Default iOS Target. So it took a few minutes before 1) the Repo's showed in the Repos dropdown and then 2) a few more minutes for branches to show up in the Branches dropdown. After that it took a minute or so for changes to save, but now it appears that the iOS target is configured correctly and I was able to kick off an iOS build.

But then when checking the Default Android target, again it took more than a minute for Repo's to show up in the Repo list (weirdly the Branches list was populated with "Main" even tho a Repo wasn't showing yet).

Everything seems to be configured correctly now and I was able to kickoff an Android and iOS build, but for sure something was weird with the target configurations that took a little while to resolve (and hopefully these changes stick).

4. ki-cyberarts

ki-cyberarts

Why did the new UI restrict build target names to alphanumeric hyphens and spaces? Previous UI allowed periods which allowed us to put versions in the build target name when branching off for release.

This makes it that if we were to edit any of the build configs, previous valid build target names become invalid names. Is it possible to allow periods?

5. minidisc

minidisc

It would be great to be able to define a custom pattern for binary filename, like
    {packageName}-1.0.{projectBuildNumber}.apk
    to output a binary named
    com.mycompany.mygame-1.0.123.apk
    , for example. To be really useful, it would need a unique build number for the project and not different sequences for each build target. We use this Build Number approach in the place I work to name the binaries, but we need to setup a couple additional services to work around the default filenames of Cloud Build and keep the build number unique across multiple build targets. It would be really nice to be able to setup this directly in UCB.

6. mariebocq

mariebocq

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback, this is indeed a bug based on an incorrect helper text and we're working on fixing it right now, to allow for periods and also underscores.

scotth-unity likes this.
  7. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

The performance related to configuring a Plastic project is for sure on our backlog. I cannot go into more detail right now but I do want you to know that this is actively being worked on across multiple teams within the bigger Cloud Build sphere.

8. trigger-james

trigger-james

We're going through our annual audit of provisioning profiles for iOS projects and after changing out the provisioning profile in the configuration, we are no longer seeing share links. The builds are still succeeding but neither the ellipsis on the right hand side of the build history, nor the "share build" option in the build drop down are able to give us a share link.

When selecting the latter from the dropdown, I get an error saying "There was a problem deleting the share link. Please try again." Any ideas whether this might be due to the new updates?

Attached Files:

9. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

I'm seeing the same issue. In my case there's no build size even tho the build history says the builds completed successfully.

10. ScottAdams

ScottAdams

All has been working great and now this came up. You really should NEVER change a production environment but give and option to use what was working for a time. This is really messed up and not appreciated!

Just tried to kick off a build we needed for release NOW and It says refresh Plastic credentials. But I can't find a place to refresh them and under Plastic it doesn't even show Plastic as being active but now says "try for free". When I press that it says I don't have org creds to do it.

What is going on?

11. hejalejandro

hejalejandro

The old "build config" page used to have a section where you connect it to Unity Cloud Delivery and select a bucket for it to push to. The new build configuration page seems to be missing this section entirely. You can still build addressables, but cant find place to configure their upload to UCD. help?

12. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

If you're using your Unity ID to authenticate your Plastic account, try this solution which worked for me: https://forum.unity.com/threads/bui...ic-scm-connection-issue.1270040/#post-8077529

13. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

Plastic tokens used to be short-lived and we would attempt to refresh them, but there was a chance a token could expire before we had a chance to refresh them. You'll want to go to the project settings and edit the source control. You can keep the same plastic url and everything but you should have an option to proceed with either a username and password or with your unity id. If you select to proceed with your Unity ID then you will now get a token that does not expire but can be revoked by you, on the Plastic SCM site under your account dashboard.

14. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

Plastic tokens are now long lived and using username and password is no longer needed as a work around for the short lived tokens. The preferred method is to use the option to authenticate with your Unity ID.

15. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

This was caused by an issue where "content only builds" was accidentally enabled on builds when modifications were made to them.

To fix this, you will need to edit the target and under addressables, check the enable box and then uncheck the content only builds. You will then uncheck the addressables box and this issue will go away. The UI team is currently working on a solution to this.

16. trigger-james

trigger-james

This worked. Thanks for the solution Benjamin!

Benjamin-Gooding likes this.
  17. ScottAdams

ScottAdams

I am so far not able to find Project Settings/Source Control. Is it in the Gaming Services Dashboard? Is it in the Unity Editor? Somewhere else?

18. ScottAdams

ScottAdams

I found it under DevOps/Configurations and then had to go to tab there for Project Settings. Not real obvious folks. That can use some work! I originally looked on the side under Projects/Settings from the dashboard root.

scotth-unity likes this.
  19. natepacyga

natepacyga

My Fastlane Scripts and Build Post Processors no longer work now. Was there changes to these systems? I would think these changes would be UI only, but I am also seeing new options...?

Here are the errors:
    3160: [2022-08-11T02:13:53.895Z] - 6.3.0.2.4.2 - INFO: Executing Script at Assets/FastLaneScripts/ios_upload_to_app_store.sh
    3161: *** Error: Error uploading '/BUILD_PATH/try-catch-games.turbo-town.ios/.build/last/ios/build.ipa'.
    3162: *** Error: Unable to upload archive. The file '/BUILD_PATH/try-catch-games.turbo-town.ios/.build/last/ios/build.ipa' cannot be found. (-43)

Here is the script, obviously I removed the email and password:
    xcrun altool --upload-app --type ios -f $WORKSPACE/.build/last/ios/build.ipa -u EMAIL_HERE -p PASSWORD_HERE

This is what it used to look like when it worked a few months ago (jumping back into the project again):
    9717: Executing Post-Build Script at Assets/FastLaneScripts/ios_upload_to_app_store.sh
    9718: No errors uploading '/BUILD_PATH/try-catch-games.turbo-town.ios/.build/last/ios/build.ipa'
    9719: Uploading symbol file to Cloud Diagnostics: /BUILD_PATH/try-catch-games.turbo-town.ios/.build/last/ios/build.app.dSYM.zip

As you can see it's the same path. Was anything changed with this or am I missing something?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  20. agneiding

agneiding

Any reasons why the share links in webGL cloud builds aren't working when using the shared links?

It works if a cloud build is downloaded and then reuploaded as a local build and then shared

upload_2022-8-11_16-56-53.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  21. hejalejandro

hejalejandro

Hi, we still having this issue. The feature that connects unity cloud builds to unity cloud delivery is still missing from the new UI. how to fix pls?

22. gcortier

gcortier

@Unity : What is the post_build BUILD_PATH's filepath after the update of UI ?
    Before we had a BUILD_PATH with a value e.g :
    /BUILD_PATH/sevenshapes.sevenshapes2019.ssd2019_3-19/SevenShapesSchool/temp20210422-3971-1czeai7. In this folder whe can find a folder named as the config name : SSD2019_3.19_CI with the WebGlBuild inside (/Build, /StreamingAssets etc...).
    Since the change, (We had to change the config name according the naming convention (without underscore and dots)) we are not able to find this forder containing the webGl Build... AND, none of shell command as "ls", to list folder works...
    Please give us the good practice to get the path of builded WebGl files...Or the rename rules you had added ...
    Thanks in advance

23. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

They should be located at the path in the "UNITY_PLAYER_PATH" environment variable.

24. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

You may be having the same issue where the "Content Only Build" was accidentally checked in the Advanced Setting -> Addressables portion of your target config. Check to see if that is checked. If you don't use addressables you will need to click the check box to enable it, then uncheck that box, and then uncheck the addressables to disable that.

25. scotth-unity

scotth-unity

Unity Technologies

@hejalejandro, really sorry for the inconvenience! We deployed a fix for configuring CCD yesterday, and you can find these options within Advanced Settings > Addressables like so:
    upload_2022-8-12_11-44-58.png

Note: We are aware of an issue with the
    Yes, build Addressables
    checkbox (and options below) being disabled if your build target is set to use a beta Unity version, and this will be addressed shortly.

Hope that helps!

26. natepacyga

natepacyga

@benjamingooding I unchecked the box you recommended and I was still getting this error:
    8809: /BUILD_PATH/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.2/gems/fastlane-2.182.0/fastlane/lib/fastlane/actions/update_project_provisioning.rb:73:in `block (2 levels) in run': [!] undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)

I dug into that and found that the Provisioning Profile needed to be updated even though it wasn't expired (weird). I found this out via this post:
    https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/...date-project-provisioning-rb-73-error-message

27. ThisIsNotMyName123

ThisIsNotMyName123

Ah, a secret incantation that users should just guess their way into? If you have issues of this magnitude wouldn't it make sense to fix them with the utmost urgency, or at the very least add some huge reminders everywhere so that people won't waste their time?

28. Mishganches

Mishganches

Good day! :)

A little feedback about new design.
    1. It's not simple to switch branch for particular configuration. There is no any button to open basic settings or directly switch branch. I need to open advanced settings tab by click on a link for another item and after that open basic settings tab.
    upload_2022-8-23_19-22-11.jpeg

2. When i want to start select specific\several build targets, it's really hard to find them because they are not sorted alphabetically. It will be great if you will sort all targets by name instead of random list.
    upload_2022-8-23_19-14-25.jpeg

3. Underscore is ignored during sorting by name. Previously we used underscore as prefix to put some configuration at the top of the list.
    upload_2022-8-23_19-27-11.jpeg

29. mariebocq

mariebocq

Unity Technologies

Hello! Thank you for the solid feedback and suggestions, I'm passing them along to the team and putting them asap on our list of improvements.

scotth-unity and Mishganches like this.
  30. Mishganches

Mishganches

mariebocq likes this.
  31. GabrielCirera

GabrielCirera

I would suggest being able to set the branch just after pressing the Build button so we first select the configuration and then the branch. This would avoid having one configuration per branch, which is a bit of a mess.
    This would be awesome to have :)

32. PixelMork

PixelMork

Is there any way to set up "Content Only" build targets without specifying credentials? I have a repository dedicated exclusively to building remote Addressables content, so there are no credentials associated with it whatsoever (the main app just loads the remote catalog as it boots up). If not actually building a Player, seems like the credential setup should be optional, but it's enforced on IOS and Android.

Right now, seems like my choices are to either use my main app's credentials for these targets, or create spoof app store listings for my separate remote content project. The first seems a little risky, though, and the second introduces a bit of confusing administrative overhead. Any other workarounds available?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023