Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

New Blit Type Player Setting for Android

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by Claytonious, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

What exactly does this choice do?
    upload_2017-10-6_8-32-10.png

The tooltip says it allows you to choose a faster but less compatible mode called "Never".

Faster in what way? Compatible in what way? What will break, and on what devices? What buffer are we talking about blitting here in the first place?

And does it work when running in XR such as for Daydream?

Thanks!

2. Masterfalcon

Masterfalcon

Unity Technologies

The buffer that it refers to is the screen frame buffer. When Always is selected then the final output is rendered to a frame buffer then blitted to the screen which is how it has always worked.

If you choose Never then the output is rendered directly to the screen. Performance may be increased slightly because we are no longer copying from the frame buffer. However this is not compatible with linear colorspace, MSAA and non-native screen resolutions.

There is a third option, Auto, which attempts to skip the blit unless one of those aforementioned features is enabled.

I haven't tested with XR but it's possible that it may work. I just don't know conclusively.

Akshara and Claytonious like this.
  3. Claytonious

Claytonious

Thanks for the info, @Masterfalcon - I will give it a try but now that it's clear what it does it should be easier to test for its applicability in our games. Thanks again!

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Claytonious likes this.