Search Unity

New Asset Store License - Single & Multi Entity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ikazrima, Feb 3, 2020.

1. ikazrima

ikazrima

Just a heads up, as I didn't see any update about this (or I might've missed it).
    The new terms makes it clear regarding contractor's licenses.

upload_2020-2-3_21-34-55.png

upload_2020-2-3_21-35-56.png

angrypenguin likes this.
  2. sxa

sxa

Looks like this is for categories of Asset which werent previously 'per-seat'

No obvious way to upgrade either.

3. sxa

sxa

<well that's annoying, the forum wont apply any edit to my post>

4. Tensor2

Tensor2

I don't get it. They retroactively rewrote the license terms? Assets purchased before the terms change can no longer be used how the old terms permitted they be used?

5. Tensor2

Tensor2

They don't seem to even know what their terms are. Four different places say something completely different.

At https://assetstore.unity.com/browse/eula-faq it says "...purchaser of the license is a company or other business, then it can be shared with any employee within that company or business"

On this article https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039447411, it says, "‘Single Entity’ - This is for personal use, meaning only one user will have access to the Asset files", but on the asset itself, it says "Recommended for individuals and small businesses."

The actual EULA says, "install and use Assets on an unlimited number of computers provided that these computers belong to END-USER"

6. TonyLi

TonyLi

Contact Unity's legal team via support@unity3d.com. No one here can provide definitive legal answers.

However, if it eases your concerns, on the Asset Store Publisher forum Unity clarified to publishers that if you purchased an asset under the old license, that old license still applies. They did not retroactively change it. The new licenses apply to new purchases. Also, END-USER is a legal entity, such as an individual or a company. An external contractor is not part of that legal entity. The Multi Entity license allows contractors to use an asset in a legal entity's project without the contractor having to purchase their own license for it (as long as it's on the legal entity's project). I view this license as being designed to resolve the question about contractors that frequently pops up on this forum.

Again, contact legal if you have any questions about this.

7. Tensor2

Tensor2

Thank you. I asked about it and got clarification very quickly. You are correct.

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It's vague, but makes sense. A lot of small businesses don't have employees, or even multiple people.

That's a huge improvement over the old rules. Huzzah!
    Isn't this more permissive than before?

9. barbation

barbation

If you purchase an asset and create a game with that asset can you sell it if you buy multi-entity?

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

You can sell the game even if you buy a single entity license (as long as you're a single legal entity such as a lone developer or a company). The EULA gives you the right to include the asset "as incorporated and embedded components of electronic applications and digital media" (e.g., games). You cannot redistribute the assets outside of a build, however. This includes sharing them with friends and putting them in a public repository on a service like Github; you can't do that.

The multi-entity license was mainly created for companies that outsource to contractors and freelancers. It allows the contractors (who aren't part of the company's legal entity) to access the assets in the project.

If you have any questions, please contact support@unity3d.com for legal answers.

rafindio, Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.
  11. sxa

sxa

(my emphasis)

Are you asking if you can sell the game, or sell that asset?

12. Y_Bilenko

Y_Bilenko

Selling the asset is forbidden. Yes? Am I right?

13. sxa

sxa

Yes.

Y_Bilenko likes this.