Search Unity

Bug New Asset Location Info in Project Panel when filtering assets is horbily broken (2021.1.15)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Xtro, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Xtro

Xtro

Bug report: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1360510_23s1mhvls0put22p
    Issue tracker: They declined saying "By Design".

New Asset Location Info in Project Panel when filtering assets is horbily broken.
    It's very hard to see the nested folder structure and it's also hard to read due to a vertical size problem.

Please bring back the old one. It was very useful and was working perfectly fine.

Please see the screenshots GoodOldOne and NewBrokenOne.

GoodOldOne.png NewBrokenOne.png

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

That is a bit borkled but all the info is there: they stopped showing it one folder piece at a time going vertically and instead just show it as
    your/traditional/file/path/and/filename.cs 
    way, so you should be able to widen out your project window to work around it.

3. Xtro

Xtro

A long file path is very hard to recognize at a glance. Separate folders list was awesome and instant to understand. Also some file paths are too long. How ever I widen the window, some paths will overflow. This is BAD design. Whoever decided this should understand his/her mistake and should step back from his idea. Horrible!!

Make Unity Great Again!!!
    Stop changing the things which were working perfectly fine!
    Instead fix millions of bugs waiting to be fixed in 10 years.

samuel-levine and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  4. Xtro

Xtro

They touched something working just fine. They broke it. They called it "By Design". They declined to fix it back.

SO SAD. SOOOOO SAD. :(

Here is QA's response:

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

OTOH, with the old system, if you had a scene called "ZebraLevel" and searched for scenes so that it was near the last scene, then when you selected ZebraLevel it would instantly cover up your selection with the stacked paths, something I still encounter CONSTANTLY using older versions of Unity than the one you're talking about.

As mah Daddy always says, "Good UI is really hard."

6. Xtro

Xtro

Instead of fixing millenia old bugs, they break even more things and calling it "By Design".

I can't describe the disappointment I feel right now. Is this Unity's future?

7. Xtro

Xtro

The fix for this issue would be very easy. The old stacked directory list area should be defined outside of the scrollable area; not on top of it. This kind of UI implementations were easy and standard back in the days. Today's kids don't think carefully when doing things.