Search Unity

Question New Analytics report double users compared to Legacy Analytics

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by stepan-fiala, Apr 19, 2022.

1. stepan-fiala

stepan-fiala

Hi,

Recently I've implemented the New Analytics. Since I released the version with the New Analytics, the New Analytics dashboard reports about twice as many New Users and DAU compared to the Legacy Analytics dashboard:

I'm I supposed to disable the Legacy Analytics somehow?

Thanks!

Stepan

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  2. daniel_sanchez_unity

daniel_sanchez_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey stepan!
    Do you mind adding your project id (the uuid looking thing in the URL between ".../projects/" and "/environments/..." and what is the SDK situation? Have you installed the new analytics package in your game?

Best regards,
    Daniel

3. paljan

paljan

I'm going to tag along here and ask for clarification: is it intended for us to be able to use both legacy and UGS analytics enabled simultaneously during beta, without any issues described above?

4. stepan-fiala

stepan-fiala

Hey Daniel,

Sure!

Project id: b4ab0a0c-8df8-450d-91ac-14a992bc30d8
    SDK: 3.0.0-pre.4

Yes, I've Installed the New Analytics package (see here).

Thanks a lot for your help,

Stepan

5. daniel_sanchez_unity

daniel_sanchez_unity

Unity Technologies

You should be able to use both legacy and UGS at the same time and we should only be counting those users as one of them. Since events should have the same userId, we know we are getting events for a particular user through the new SDK and we can ignore the legacy events we get for that userId on the new Analytics data.

I think in the particular case of this game, we are seeing new players coming in through the Analytics SDK but they are starting to show from the date where you start to see a difference there (2022-03-27) and we don't have any older events for users that have come through the new SDK. This means the user ids for those users are not the same that the legacy analytics system was sending so they are being counted as new users. For data continuity between both platforms we recommend using the user ID that is provided by the SDK rather than using a custom user ID.

6. stepan-fiala

stepan-fiala

Ok, thanks for clarification!

daniel_sanchez_unity likes this.
  7. paljan

paljan

Thank you! I just want to make absolutely sure we understand this all correctly with a usecase: We can release an update where both analytics are enabled in the project, doublefire events with legacy analytics tracking all the original events and at the same time test completely new event schemas with UGS analytics. Also, even if we would just duplicate a custom event to be included identically in both legacy and UGS analytics, you would be able to filter it out from the new UGS dashboard with the userID?

Also, if we would do this, the legacy data would also stay intact without double events, correct?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  8. daniel_sanchez_unity

daniel_sanchez_unity

Unity Technologies

Legacy analytics is still processing data as normal. We have a process moving standard events from legacy into UGS analytics too, lets call it "migration pipeline". This is done to facilitate the transition from legacy analytics into UGS without having to start from scratch in terms of data.

Whenever we receive an event for a user id through UGS SDK into UGS Analytics, we blacklist that user in the migration pipeline. That means that, if there are events still going into legacy analytics they will be processed and shown as normal there but they won't be moved through this migration pipeline into UGS.

I hope that clarifies the use case.

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

10. paljan

paljan

Thank you guys for spelling it out for me! :) This gives us options to go about testing and transitioning to the new service! Much appreciated!

clarec_unity likes this.