Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official New Addressables Learn Articles

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by davidla_unity, May 31, 2023.

1. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey y'all,

We recently launched Get Started With Addressables, a new intermediate-level course aimed at teaching programmers how to use Addressables.

The Addressables system enables many successful Unity games and projects to load content on demand, whether that content ships with the game or is delivered from a remote content delivery system like Unity’s Cloud Content Delivery.

However, we’ve heard from many of you that the system has quite a steep learning curve and that it can be difficult to use in an efficient, optimal way. Along with some great new features we will be showcasing soon, this new course is meant to give programmers a deep understanding of the key features of the system. You’ll use our sample project Loady Dungeons to go through the steps of converting a project that’s loading content with the Resources API into one that uses Addressables to load content efficiently and on demand.

We hope these tutorials will help give you more confidence in using Addressables. Please feel free to share any feedback you may have, either in this thread or in the comments feature on Unity Learn.

2. Elringus

Elringus

Thank you for making the course! We indeed find a lot of new users struggling with addressables and now we have good materials to recommend them. Would be helpful if you can also include common remote hosting scenarios, such as a CDN setup and mobile-specific scenarios (eg, we are commonly asked how to deal with app size limitations on Google Play).

softon_JK likes this.
  3. pablobandinopla

pablobandinopla

i've just finished reading all the articles, i think it lacked in one aspect... the explanations were fine, i got it, but, in my particular case, since i'm mostly a single dev learning alone, like most people i guess, i wasn't able to relate to the solution that this system was proposing in the sense that, i feel only for bigger proyects this would make sense, but it would be cool to see why would a small size team or single dev use Addressables at all...

One example that made me understand a bit was when the article made the scenario were the game has seasonal Hats or special events hats... i could see the use of this, but it is a bit hard to relate, like yeah i understand what addressables are and what they do, but mabe im too small as a dev to see the bigger picture?

The article could be improved a lot if instead of saying "we are going to change this to stop using Resources and use Addressables" it should try to explain to the reader "why" we "want" to do this... if Resources would work just fine for a small project...

No small dev will use CDN to deliver game assets, let's be real... But since the idea of these tutorials is to train developers to eventually join the big leagues, the articles should use terms we understand or at least focus more on the benefits of their use rater than just doing a bind convertion not knowing really what was the benefit since, in the end, the final product, looks virtually the same...

alijaya likes this.