Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official New 75 page guide on profiling in Unity available

Discussion in 'Profiler Previews' started by thomas_jacobsen_unity, May 12, 2022.

1. thomas_jacobsen_unity

thomas_jacobsen_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

We’ve just wrapped up a new e-book for profiling your games. We know that smooth performance is essential to creating immersive gaming experiences – and to achieve that, you need to profile your game. Not only do you need to know what tools to use, and how, but when to use them.

This 70+ page guide to advanced profiling was created together with both internal and external experts. It compiles advice and knowledge on how to profile an application in Unity and identify performance bottlenecks, among other best practices.

>>Download free e-book on profiling

For a consistent, end-to-end profiling workflow, which is crucial for efficient game development, start with a simple three-point procedure:

• Profile before making major changes: Establish a baseline.

• Profile during development: Track changes and ensure they don’t break performance or budgets.

• Profile after development: Prove that changes had the desired effect.
    We hope you find this guide useful! If you think something is missing or could be improved - do let us know in this thread, and we could add it to the next edition of the guide.

Also, make sure to visit our website to discover more e-books and other learning content.

Unity-Profiling-Ebook-AdsSocial_1200x675.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  2. impheris

impheris

Hi, i love this PDF's but, is there a way to get a notification when a new pdf is released? thanks

3. JesOb

JesOb

And link where we can see and load all pdf's please

Vincent454 and Krugmeisteren like this.
  4. impheris

impheris

5. JesOb

JesOb

May be yes but
    when I open that link it is hard to find those pdfs that I already loaded

may there must be publication date of each resource and sort by publication dates :)

6. mikaelK

mikaelK

Wow, thanks already finding it useful.
    It impressive how this curve reflects 1to1 my profiling sessions.
    upload_2022-5-25_22-36-54.png
    I wrote about my experiences with the profiler and shared my multi threading tips and tricks here.
    The ms in the performance test scaled exactly like in the image when build with il2cpp.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Krugmeisteren and MNNoxMortem like this.
  7. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

I'd like a full newsletter on all news and blog posts. I'm still waiting for that.
    In the meantime, I use www.visualping.io It's free, give it a go!

8. impheris

impheris

Oh, thanks, i will... :)

9. thomas_jacobsen_unity

thomas_jacobsen_unity

Unity Technologies

Glad to hear the guide is useful. Please let me know if you have suggestions for improvements as we plan to update it to a new edition. We got several more ebooks in the works too. We don't have a notification system or a dedicated newsletter for announcing when they become ready but we are looking into creating a webpage with an overview of all the best practice content.

deivid-01, DragonCoder and MartinTilo like this.
  10. thomas_jacobsen_unity

thomas_jacobsen_unity

Unity Technologies

We also created this flowchart from the ebook as a pdf in case anyone finds that useful to reference in the profiling process (you can also find it in this blog post).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    MartinTilo likes this.
  11. gtzpower

gtzpower

I am not sure if something was updated, but the pictures in the guide are practically useless. The above screenshot of FPS vs Frame Time on the 25th is much clearer than what is currently in this guide (I cannot even read the numbers on that same graph).

moncastro and Brad-Newman like this.
  12. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Thanks for putting this together. Personally, I'd prefer a website to an e-book. The images in particular are difficult to read in this format.

chrome_FsHHwh1jgo.png

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    moncastro likes this.
  13. thomas_jacobsen_unity

thomas_jacobsen_unity

Unity Technologies

14. JesOb

JesOb

icecrusher2000 likes this.
  15. thomas_jacobsen_unity

thomas_jacobsen_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey Jes. Yes, we are actually working on that right now so it will be much easier to find. I realize its not optimal solution right now. Here are a few performance-related ones:
    https://unity.com/how-to/mobile-game-optimization-tips-part-1
    https://unity.com/how-to/mobile-game-optimization-tips-part-2
    And 6 more how-pages are in the works based on the console/PC and mobile optimization guide. For those who haven't seen it yet there is also a webinar on June 14th (it will be recorded so those reading this after can check it out too). A couple of the experts who helped create the profiling guide are part of the panel and Sybo (Subway Surfers) will be joining too to share some tips, if that could be helpful/interesting.

MartinTilo and JesOb like this.
  16. thomas_jacobsen_unity

thomas_jacobsen_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey Brad. We updated the pdf so the images/screenshot compression is fixed and is readable again. Apologies for that.

17. koirat

koirat

Why we have to give our emails to obtain some of the content ?

Is this necessary ?
    You already got most of our emails in your database.

atomicjoe likes this.
  18. opel_cobalt

opel_cobalt

Isn't it just a 1000/x curve?

mikaelK and nbaris like this.
  19. mikaelK

mikaelK

In some areas it looks like it. Look at the 30 fps. 1000/30 = 33 fps, but its close to 40 (somth like 38-38.5). Maybe the curve is hand made.
    But yeah now that I look at it with fresh eyes it does look like that.

20. mikaelK

mikaelK

Now I remember. I was looking at first its edit mode vs playmode.
    20 fps would be like about 2-3 times faster, which is my experience on build with dots and il2cpp.
    Stupid me :d

21. thomas_jacobsen_unity

thomas_jacobsen_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone
    Wanted to share that our profiling R&D team is doing a survey at the moment to learn more about the experience with the profiling tools that could be improved. So if if you have used profiling tools before (even just once or similarly if you are using it every day) or are working on a project that requires optimization, we would love to get your input via this brief survey which is designed to take no more than 5-10 minutes of your time. At the completion of the survey, you will have the possibility to opt-in for a follow-up interview, where you share more in-depth feedback directly with the team. If interested, you might also be involved in providing feedback on potential prototypes of new features as we address the feedback received (good and bad)!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  22. thomas_jacobsen_unity

thomas_jacobsen_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone. We have now added a section with links to the ebooks on our documentation pages (latest version but we will also add on the 2020 LTS and forward): https://docs.unity3d.com/2023.1/Documentation/Manual/best-practice-guides.html to help make them easier to find. We are also working closely with the documentation and Learn team to adopt some of the content into their formats and we are also made the "how to pages" available here: https://unity.com/how-to. Hope this helps makes the ebooks easier to find :)

23. impheris

impheris

@thomas_jacobsen_unity excuse my off-topic question, but
    The image attached is from "Unity for Technical Artists key toolsets and workflows" pdf. Do you know where is that image from?

Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 21-31-28 Unity for Technical Artists key toolsets and workflows.pdf.png