Search Unity

New 5.4.2 update for Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ReaktorDave, Oct 28, 2016.

1. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

When will we get the Unity 5.4.2 update? I thought the codebases are now the same and updates get delivered automatically?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. ma1onso

ma1onso

Same question

3. kmare

kmare

Apparently even the betas are not being updated as well... we're still on beta5, while the windows version is at beta 9 or so.

4. JonSWEDEN

JonSWEDEN

I think they are working on the Ubuntu 16.10 compatibility issues, atlest I hope so. Ubuntu is the supported distrubution and right now there are some minor bugs when installing to the new version. (dependencies and mono)

5. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

Let me give a friendly reminder here then.There are more (double) Linux Mint users that Ubuntu

6. JonSWEDEN

JonSWEDEN

That may be, but Ubuntu is what they have chosen to officialy support.
    This is very good for ex Mint users as it uses Ubuntu as base just like so many other distros also does.

7. Degra

Degra

As much as I'd like an even representation of the big distros (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Suse, Fedora, Arch), your statement is grossly false.
    Ubuntu is 200 times as often used as Mint is.

https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm
    1200M requests for Ubuntu, 6M for Mint.

Distrowatch is a crap source for any numbers, the only thing that influences DistroWatch rankings is how many people view that distro on DistroWatch. That has nothing to do with how many downloads and active users a distro actually got.
    What you could say is that people interested in various distributions check out Mint most frequently on DistroWatch.
    But that doesn't apply to at least 99% of all casual Linux users, who'll just get Ubuntu and be done with it, and who don't even know that such a thing like DistroWatch exists, nor improve Ubuntu's ranking by viewing it on DistroWatch.

8. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

According to that site Android and linux have 16.36% combined? and iphone has 23.16% + 7.28% for ipad? There is something wrong with that site

9. Degra

Degra

No, it's accurate.
    Most people who purchase an iPhone actually use it intensely.
    Many people who purchase an Android purchased it because it's the flow of things and conventional feature phones are simply dead.

Note that the website I linked is the number of requests sent to Wikimedia, meaning it's fairly representive for web usage and to a lesser extent for other "Power user" use cases.

Go compare number of downloaded apps or even number of purchased apps for Android and iOS.
    iOS is leading with app purchases, despite having far less users.
    For the number of downloaded apps, both are equal, meaning the average Android user is using far fewer apps.
    The entire demographic who uses their phone for little other than telephone, SMS and WhatsApp is simply almost entirely in the Android sector, distorting the market share in favor of Android.
    But are they actually using their smart phone for things like web browsing? Let alone very frequently? No.
    In terms of power users, they are over represented in the iOS demographic.
    Meaning a smaller number of iOS user achieves a higher number of requests for the Wikimedia servers, simply by virtue of using the device more intensely for internet stuff.

10. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

One thing that DistroWatch doesn't account for is that Ubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, KDE Neon, Kubuntu, and several others are NOT different distros. They are different "flavors" of the same distro, Ubuntu. They all use the same underlying systems, repos, packages, etc. Mint uses it's own packages and own repos and is therefore a separate distro.

If you account for this first, Ubuntu flavors had at least 4,292 page hits last month compared to Mint's meager 2,638.

Don't get me wrong, Mint is a very nice distro that I have used as my main distro a few times, but this idea that Mint outnumbers Ubuntu users just simply isn't true. About the only thing that can honestly be said is something like the following, "Based on statistics of Linux users who visit DistroWatch.com, those who use Mint outnumber those who use Ubuntu with the Unity desktop".

11. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

Don't get me wrong fello Unitians... I am not a fan boy, I've used Ubuntu since Hardy Heron (8.04) up till 2011 (I only could handle about 6 months of that dreadful unity interface, Ubuntu Studio couldn't make it for me... Mint worked, and with greater config settings. I always prefer to be "official" hence Ubuntu but that interface really hurt my productivity

12. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

I'm on Ubuntu 16.10 and Unity 5.4.1 works very good (not counting the CPU usage bug).

Can we get an info from the devs?

13. ma1onso

ma1onso

14. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

You mean the devs are busy with Unite preparations or that there'll be an announcement regarding the Unity3D editor for Linux?

15. ma1onso

ma1onso

First: devs are busy with Unite

16. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

So Unite is over and a week after we still have no update or at least a response.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  17. knobby67

knobby67

Starting to get slightly concerned, particularly as 5.5 is more broken for I and many others and there's been no update for quite a while.

LukaKotar likes this.
  18. JonSWEDEN

JonSWEDEN

There's been 5.5beta updates, just not the on the Linux Experimental Build. Probably becuase they are focusing on the main 5.5 beta bugs right now and not particuallary on the Linux Editor.

19. arcooke

arcooke

Hey @Tak .. could you maybe chime in on this thread? I've been wondering as well, since there hasn't been an update in a couple months

20. Bollit

Bollit

End of support for 32-bit editor for Windows

"...And with the "Linux Editor now in experimental build" and also slated to launch in 5.6, dropping the 32-bit editor frees up time and resources that will help us to make this exciting new offering a success."

They updated the post:

"Edit: A previous version of this post mistakenly suggested the Linux Editor would be in the official 5.6 release."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  21. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Too bad, the post was a mistake. That could have explained the absence of updates. Now, we are in the dark again.

22. Tak

Tak

Sorry for the delay - new builds are coming!

JonSWEDEN, ReaktorDave and knobby67 like this.
  23. ma1onso

ma1onso

Thanks taka taka

24. Bartwillemsen

Bartwillemsen

Thanks! It's running great here ^^

25. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Are beta versions still being supported? I'm thinking whether I should switch my project to 5.4.2 or stay on 5.5.

26. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

Yeah we regret the switch to 5.5. a lot. I wish we could switch back. :-(

5.5.0b2 had lots of crashes. 5.5.0b5 breaks SceneView/UI after some time and you need to restart or reset the layout..

27. seyacat

seyacat

Im very upset about crash on try build. 5.5.b1 its the last usable release

28. knobby67

knobby67

Yep same here! Had a demo I needed for Monday, early on in d velopment did a lot of cloth stuff. Needed to edit finish some this week and found that cloth edit won't open on 5.5. I'm to frightened to downgrade in case it breaks everything for next week

ma1onso likes this.
  29. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Try it on a copy of your project. That way you won't mess your project up if something goes wrong.

knobby67 likes this.
  30. Tak

Tak

New 5.5 builds will come as well, but the first 5.5 final release should be soon, so it will likely be that one.