Search Unity

NetworkVariable/Int/String etc

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by cerestorm, Nov 10, 2021.

1. cerestorm

cerestorm

I'm just trying out Netcode for the first time and I'm struggling with network variables. I see references to NetworkVariableInt etc but can't declare them, have these been removed?

I was going to check the release notes but the link in the sticky is broken.

2. luke-unity

luke-unity

NetworkVariableInt etc. no longer exist. You can use NetworkVariable<int> now etc. For string you have to use NetworkVariable<FixedString64>. Which sticky thread contains the broken links?

NoobGeek likes this.
  3. cerestorm

cerestorm

luke-unity likes this.
  4. luke-unity

luke-unity

Thanks, there is already a PR up to fix the documentation page. So hopefully the page will be updated soon with the updated information.

cerestorm likes this.
  5. VincentAbert

VincentAbert

Hi, I just wanted to say that the documentation (as far as I can tell) is still outdated, and it makes working with MLAPI quite tough... Has there been change to use string network variables by the way ? "NetworkVariable<FixedString64>" doesn't seem to work anymore.

Thank you !

6. cerestorm

cerestorm

Having the documentation up to date and accurate should be a priority, it's been almost two months and this isn't the only page that needs correcting.

Try using FixedString64Bytes, I've been using that without any problems.

7. VincentAbert

VincentAbert

Thanks a lot ! One thing I missed was the need for the collections package...

8. Brach_Unity

Brach_Unity

Unity Technologies

We are working on it. We had a full release and are now doing some remedial work catching the final changes and pages that need updated. It will be our main focus now so we are hoping to have the pages all sorted by the end of Jan/Mid-Feb

9. Mandra

Mandra

Hello,

Even though the documentation about network variables exists, I still couldn't find the information about which types are valid.

If @cerestorm didn't make his comment I would never have found how to use FixedString64Bytes instead of string.

Could you maybe try and update it, because it's a fairly important information? Thanks!

10. cerestorm

cerestorm

Mandra likes this.
  11. Mid_D_Man

Mid_D_Man

And also please how do I convert from a regular int to a network variable of type int

12. cerestorm

cerestorm

Use .Value to read and write to a network variable.

It's useful to have the getter/setter access it that way directly.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NetworkVariable<int> moveCost = new NetworkVariable<int>();
    2. .
    3. .
    4. public int MoveCost { get => moveCost.Value; set => moveCost.Value = value; }

13. Mid_D_Man

Mid_D_Man

Abdulhamid mamman sule

Jul 31, 2022, 02:51 UTC

can someone help me out I keep trying to connect my client to and host but unity keeps sending me this error message, it used to work perfectly normal before I updated the netcode for gameobjects package
    But now the client is not being instantiated I've tried both the pooled and non pooled Spawn system in the documentation and noting works
    Netcode] Deferred messages were received for a trigger of type OnSpawn with key 2, but that trigger was not received within within 1 second(s). UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object) Unity.Netcode.NetworkLog:LogWarning (string) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0/Runtime/Logging/NetworkLog.cs:28) Unity.Netcode.DeferredMessageManager:purgeTrigger (Unity.Netcode.IDeferredMessageManager/TriggerType,ulong,Unity.Netcode.DeferredMessageManager/TriggerInfo) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0/Runtim