Search Unity

NetworkInterpolatedTransform and "Jerkiness"

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by DrHotbunz, Sep 21, 2009.

1. DrHotbunz

DrHotbunz

I am unhappy with the networked motion of the players in Multiplayer Baseball Online. So I worked on it this weekend and ended up getting nowhere. So here I am on Sunday night asking for some input. :)

The players tend to jerk as they move. I really want smooth. My players do not have a rigidbody (I did try adding rigidbodies) and run on a stock networking scripts. I tried unreliable and reliable sending.

I have network updates set at 15.

Can anyone share with me how they handled a fast moving game as far as network prediction. I would appreciate any problems or advice people had about Unity Networking "jerkyiness". I do have NetworkInterpolatedTransform.js running and I think its working. With 15 updates per second on a lan and 80 fps I think I should be seeing smooth :>

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

you just entered one of the most complex areas in network programming.

I fear in order to find an efficient and smooth solution, you will have to readup some articles on gamedev.net / gamasutra.org as well as potentially other places on interpolation and especially on extra polation too.

Generally, not using any kind of predictable physics means you can forget it.