Search Unity

Networking support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alphabeta314, Mar 31, 2020.

1. alphabeta314

alphabeta314

Does unity currently support creating multiplayer networked games? I see a blog post from 2018 that Unet was deprecated, is there a replacement?
    I'm trying to get some high school kids to create a network game, they are pushing for using unreal, I'm more comfortable with unity and have had them on unity, but they point out theres no way to network things together without using abandoned networking features....

Is there a replacement yet available for creating network games????
    Thanks

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity has always supported creating multiplayer networked games. It's just that most of the time you've had to use a third party framework to handle the networking rather than an official framework (of course you could make the argument that since UNET was never a good framework to begin with you should have always been using a third party framework).

Speaking of which Photon is the framework a beginner should be making use of for networking. It's legitimately one of the easiest networking frameworks out there, and the free tier supports more than enough connections for learning purposes.

https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/PUN

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

There is no fully supported networking solution directly from Unity right now. Unet was deprecated, and its replacement isn't ready other than a largely undocumented alpha release. Networking isn't something you need from Unity themselves though. See the below thread for some options. Also see the Connected Games forum for more information.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/wha...of-available-network-solutions-assets.609088/

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

The dramatic list of cons for each of those is precisely why Unity needs a high level networking API to build off of that isn't a hot mess, honestly.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The biggest issue I see is both of Unity's own prior solutions had their own dramatic list of cons. I'm certain the solution they are working on will as well.

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Having a proper HLAPI is a pro in itself. The problem is that UT has never stuck with just that and chose instead to also tie all their changes into a monetization structure that doesn't make sense for most games.

ShilohGames and Joe-Censored like this.
  7. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Absolutely. What Unity needs to do is create a off the shelf basic networking solution that would work for many games. It would not need to even be the best or most scalable, just as long as it worked for the basic needs many game devs have. Trying to monetize it needlessly just gets in the way.