Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Networking Quick-Start?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by mattimus, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mattimus

mattimus

There are a lot of networking tutorials, services, and explanations out there. Some tutorials require external host servers, some require third party plugins, and some are just plain outdated/broken. I am finding it difficult to wade through them all and find the right solution for me.

I'm interested in setting up a very simple multiplayer experience that involves players each playing their own game, but occasionally passing information to other players.

- Players will always be in the same room together. I don't need any sort of matchmaking, but I do need to ensure players can find their game.

- Players will all be running an instance of the game logic, so a non-authoritative server would be best.

- I would like it if one player could be the host rather than setting up an external server.

- Compatible across different mobile devices (both Android and iOS can play together)

- Game data will only need to be sent between devices on specific events. No elements use state synchronization.

Knowing these conditions, can someone recommend a good place for me to start?

2. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Given your requirements, I would say your best bet would be to buy Leepo's Ultimate Networking Package from the asset store.

3. appels

appels

You will allways need an external server for the masterserver, you need to host it yourself becasue the Unity one is only for test/development purposes. There is a php version somewhere which you could host on a webserver.

4. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Zumwalt put together a really good package for getting your own masterserver up and running on a Windows server, too: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/75710-Master-Server-for-Service-on-Windows-Servers