Search Unity

Networking Plugin (Steam, PS4, Xbox One) recommendations

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by BeardOfFury, Nov 6, 2015.

1. BeardOfFury

BeardOfFury

Hey all,

I'm current researching networking solutions for our game and I'll be the first to admit that networking is not my strong point. However I'm looking for a network solution that would handle our games requirements. It's a 4 player physics platformer where the primary mechanic is picking up and throwing objects. Here's a trailer:

Our objective is to release first on Steam and then on PS4 and Xbox One. Ideally I'd like to use the one networking solution across these 3 platforms. (NOTE: We're not looking to network between the different platforms, I'm talking about only using a single plugin to handle the networking) I've heard of some people using Photon for PC and PS4 then using a separate/native one for Xbox. This is what I'd like to try avoid.

To start with we'd like to use peer to peer networking as being a small studio we might not have the funds to maintain a dedicated server. I'd assume that peer to peer networking would be suitable given the scope of the game.

Currently I'm looking at uNet, Photon Bolt, and Forge. They all support peer to peer so that's ok, but I need to see which one best fits our goals. In terms of each:

uNet: Supported by Unity and will continue receiving support, however I've also read that uNet might not be release ready for some time. Lack of examples of games actually using uNet, unsure about its cross platform support. Unsure about a lot of things uNet related really.

Photon Bolt: Already incorporates Steam SDK, this would be handy for use with Steam's match making server. Bolt also uses a listen server which seems like a pretty optimised solution for peer to peer networking. They've announced that PS4 support is coming but I'm currently unsure about XBox One support.

Forge: From what I've seen and read it seems like Forge is pretty easy to implement. It's advertised as being cross platform and the developer themselves said it should work with XBox One (although i haven't seen any examples yet). It has a big community of developers and the devs seem pretty dedicated to developing it.

Clearly I'm not very well versed in the technicalities of each which is why I've come to the Unity community to find the best solution and to learn a bit more really.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. BeardOfFury

BeardOfFury

Bump for updated description and title

3. Skeledurr

Skeledurr

4. JanduSoft

JanduSoft

We are also interested to know which network library is cross platform.

5. digiBeLow

digiBeLow

I'm seeking clarification on this myself, did you ever find a solution?

ps.......should have called it ABlockalypse!